The better my Spanish gets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The better my Spanish gets, the easier it is to make friends and acquaintances here and take advantage of the friendly atmosphere for frequent get togethers.

However, there is a downside too unfortunately, I have noticed a definite decline in the customer service I receive at some but not all of the businesses and services I use. It appears when it comes to issue of money and paying Dominicans are very wary of dealing with one another and actually prefer to deal with foreigners in this regard. Apparently, they must think I'm a Dominicanyol - which generally aren't considered desirable nor respectable.

A good example is Cambio Taveras here in Santiago. I have cashed quite a few checks in a relatively short period of time for more than 10k (I'm not rich I'm a contract engineer and just got paid) and even though they explained that another client would have to guarantee only the first 3 checks, after cashing something like 6 checks they turn around and tell me that now that I will have to have someone guarantee my checks for a year. What really bothers me the most is that I found out from my friend who had guaranteed the checks even though I had just cashed one a day earlier. Furthermore, I called and talked with a supervisor and asked why they changed the policy and the girl tells me that it had always been like this, which was a big fat lie. I told her she was wrong but she wouldn't back down. For those of you who don't know this type of business dealing and back talking is very common here in the DR. Lesson learned - don't bother changing your checks at Taveras Cambio and maybe speaking heavily accented Spanish isn't so bad after all. :squareeye

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
A good example is Cambio Taveras here in Santiago. I have cashed quite a few checks in a relatively short period of time for more than 10k (I'm not rich I'm a contract engineer and just got paid) and even though they explained that another client would have to guarantee only the first 3 checks, after cashing something like 6 checks they turn around and tell me that now that I will have to have someone guarantee my checks for a year. What really bothers me the most is that I found out from my friend who had guaranteed the checks even though I had just cashed one a day earlier. Furthermore, I called and talked with a supervisor and asked why they changed the policy and the girl tells me that it had always been like this, which was a big fat lie. I told her she was wrong but she wouldn't back down. For those of you who don't know this type of business dealing and back talking is very common here in the DR. Lesson learned - don't bother changing your checks at Taveras Cambio and maybe speaking heavily accented Spanish isn't so bad after all. :squareeye

It's not your changing accept or your fluidity in Spanish that made them change their mind about the check cashing policy toward you.

They must be thinking, that "Gringo" being here in the DR for ever, let's tight our policy toward him, in their mind you're Dominicanized already.

It's beyond me, why you cash you checks instead of deposit it in your bank account!!!!! it isn't more safer to deposit your check than to carried big amount of money around?.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's not your changing accept or your fluidity in Spanish that made them change their mind about the check cashing policy toward you.

They must be thinking, that "Gringo" being here in the DR for ever, let's tight our policy toward him, in their mind you're Dominicanized already.

It's beyond me, why you cash you checks instead of deposit it in your bank account!!!!! it isn't more safer to deposit your check than to carried big amount of money around?.

It usually takes three weeks or so for the banks to clear a check here, plus the rate is better at the cambios - which is more money in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.