Any news on Wal-Mart or La Sirena in POP??

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
I have lost track of earlier discussions about the construction of a Wal-Mart or a large La Sirena in POP.
Can anyone inform me if in deed this is what was being built??? I remember a thread which showed pictures of the construction site...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
It is being built and the word still is that they plan on finishing it in 8 months.
The consensus of info I have about the building is, that is shall be ground floor structure only. Fairly high though. From what I am led to understand so far it may be a similar structure as a PriceMart. The pouring of a huge flat slab currently in progress on the site, seem to validate this information.

... J-D.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've heard that the building itself is gonna be done from ready-built pieces and they will finish it in time for xmas...
i see construction site every time i have driving classes on the malecon and they are working but still on ground level (i can't take a proper look because instructor distracts me shouting FRENA all the time).

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Now those are three words

I do not use often in the DR.

proper, quick, effective.....

One can only hope.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
It is being built and the word still is that they plan on finishing it in 8 months.
The consensus of info I have about the building is, that is shall be ground floor structure only. Fairly high though. From what I am led to understand so far it may be a similar structure as a PriceMart. The pouring of a huge flat slab currently in progress on the site, seem to validate this information.

... J-D.

8 Monthe in the DR??? if it's done in 8 months I'll eat it!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
8 Monthe in the DR??? if it's done in 8 months I'll eat it!!!

First we'd have to define "completed" :D. Oh... I see, you preferred to used the term "done"... well, since you plan to turn it into an arqui-culinary treat, how would you it to be done? Well done... medium... ?

But don't worry, if you'll have to eat it, I'll bring a bucket of Sazon Completo and a couple of beers to help you swallow :bunny: .

I am not saying nor betting on they will do it. But if they were set up to and knowledgeable, they could. But that's exactly your point too, now ain't it?

... J-D.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I work as a construction project manager for walmarts in ontario... i do hear about new walmarts popping up in different countries but nothing about the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la sirena's construction is in full swing, there are two walls erected - in a day!
if it keeps on going like that (fingers crossed) we will have la sirena open in time for xmas! looks like the construction itself will be quick, like i said - it is prefabricated pieces - put up with the use of a crane, much to the joy of dominicans (and gringos, like myself) who slow down or simply stop cars to take a good look. the workers also have audience of senior citizens sitting on the malecon with beers :)

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
la sirena's construction is in full swing, there are two walls erected - in a day!
if it keeps on going like that (fingers crossed) we will have la sirena open in time for xmas! looks like the construction itself will be quick, like i said - it is prefabricated pieces - put up with the use of a crane, much to the joy of dominicans (and gringos, like myself) who slow down or simply stop cars to take a good look. the workers also have audience of senior citizens sitting on the malecon with beers :)

That is great news we are arriving November and I look forward to go have a look for myself.....am very excited to have a place in POP, we had to drive to STI from Cabarete, those mountains can be scarry....
There was also another post here that said that they were already hiring, so maybe the December date is feasible...Let's hope.
Thanks for the info.
Suzanne

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i forgot my camera yday but i will try to snap some pics over the weekend and post them here. outside is, of course a piece of cake with those prefabricated walls, it's the inside of the shop that will take longer to finish...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
i forgot my camera yday but i will try to snap some pics over the weekend and post them here. outside is, of course a piece of cake with those prefabricated walls, it's the inside of the shop that will take longer to finish...

I made picks while they were pulling the pre-fab. wall up this week.
I'll post them in a day or two.

Btw. they are promising prospecting tenants of the small lease spaces that Sirena will open within 6 months from now.

... J-D.

Alexwo1

Mar 2, 2008
hey i live right next door to la sierna. Almost all the first flow walls are in with only 2-3 days of work. I guy in my building works there-and says its going to be 2 floors and finished in February.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I'm having a bit of computer problems right now... so I will have to delay my posting of the building pictures... sorry.
But the link Lambada posted pretty much nails it.

Personally, I still believe that it will be a single story (ground floor) building... maybe with a mezzanine section for offices etc.
I find it also appalling how little information is out about such a project, especially in town and so close to the beaches. I don't see how this will ever look "pretty" or favor the Malecon's "touristy" new look.

... J-D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am VERY excited about la sirena but i have to say it really looks damn ugly. i was hoping the shop itself will be in the back with parking in the front, somehow it seemed less offensive to the eye. unfortunately the shop building is going to be literally five meters from the malecon.
sorry, i did not take any pictures but i had stomach issues all weekend and could not leave the proximity of the toilet. and people back home ask me why i am so thin... :tired:
i hear some rumours that there are plans for 7 storeys building on the malecon, this can be interesting...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sorry for bad quality, those were taken yesterday with a mobile phone...

20zs9xl.jpg

m75a3m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.