Story of myself & a resort worker

eva16

Aug 28, 2008
This will be a long thread so be warned ;) First off, I'm a 19 year old who travelled to the DR with a friend this year. My friend has been with a guy from the hotel (a photographer...I'll call him JK) for a good while now, so of course, she introduced me to him & we ended up staying at his house most nights.

One night when we were about to go out to one of the clubs in the Playa Dorada complex, his fellow photographer friend (lets call him RB) from the hotel came along & me & RB ended up dancing together for most of the night. He had already seen me before with my friend on the beach but this was the first night we actually talked. We all ended up sleeping at JK's house that night & the next morning we'd all made plans to go out again.

All the times we were going out, RB was paying for the drinks & everything. & when I finally started sleeping over at his house, he was paying for my dinners at night, not to mention he would walk me over to the nearby shop at early hours of the morning to buy me drinks/snacks when I got peckish. At one point I hurt my leg really bad & had an open wound, he drove me to the hospital to see the Doctor but me being impatient & not wanting to wait decided to leave despite his protests, so he ended up taking me to the pharmacy to get medicine (which was very expensive - tablets, creams, the whole lot which he paid for) He seemed a very nice guy - spoke really good English, had a similar sense of humour to my own & was very good looking to top it all off. I do speak fluent Spanish due to my father being Mexican & my mother 1/2 Puerto Rican, but we spoke in both English & Spanish because he wanted to extend his English a little further. We talked about pretty much everything...he would listen to me for hours & I'd listen to him for hours. It all seemed very good.

Half way through my stay he started getting suspcious of me. Asking if I had a boyfriend back home, if I'd been with any other Dominican men on my stay. He'd heard from an animation team guy that I'd been "getting around" (I'd shared 1 drunken kiss at the disco with an animation team member, something I'm not exactly proud to say, I'll admit!) & said he couldn't trust me. I explained to him how it was for a laugh & that I was drunk, & though he was still annoyed with me for a while, he seemed to get over it....:paranoid: I ended up meeting his sister at her work place (who spoke fluent English & had attended University), everything seemed well...then we started arguing.

One night we were at a karaoke bar with JK & my friend & JK's dad. When we were all about to leave RB started walking away from the place & outstretched his hand behind him for me to grab, but I'd been tucking my chair in & hadn't seen. Once I got out of the place, RB was walking away from me, not waiting. I said "Hey, slow down! Where are you going?" but he ignored me & sat down on a bench nearby. I was asking him what was wrong for ages only to be ignored...until he finally said how I'd made him look like an idiot infront of the whole bar. I told him I hadn't seen his hand but he was so angry with me...I was shocked to say the least. In the end we patched things over, but the arguments still continued. I must admit, I was at fault at times...3 nights in a row I asked him to drop me back at my hotel at 4 in the morning because I was too hot, suffering from migraines & was being bitten to death by mosquitos. In the end he just snapped & said "I'm too nice with you. I offer you to sleep with the fan right on you but you still want to go back to your hotel. I tell you not to toss around while you're laying on the bed cause that will make you hotter but you still complain"...etc. So he ended up ignoring me for a day, but the next day he rang me & apologized. Despite him being lovely when happy, I knew he had a really firey temper on him, which was somewhat indimidating but I'm exactly the same so I couldn't complain that much.

Before I forget must also point out that by no means am I rich. RB knew from the get-go that I don't have much money, being a University student earning only ?200 a month back home. He wasn't with me for money, that's for sure.

Anyway. By the end of my holiday me & him were very close & me being all hyped up on lust immediately booked tickets back to the DR the moment I got home (as did my friend - we're supposed to be going in November). Me & RB spoke everyday...both online & on the phone (he rang me each time talking for hours, never ever have I rang him despite having both his house & cell number...he called me so often it was hardly needed)...we'd both stay up until early hours the morning talking despite him having to be at work early & me at Uni early. It was after a while that he told me he was starting to fall in love with me, that he couldn't stop thinking about me & he was going crazy. Every night after work he'd rush home & come online to talk to me & go on webcam. Even on his breaks from work he'd come online to talk to me or phone me. He told me he wanted me to come & stay over at his house next time I came over & that I could stay as long as I wanted. Told me he was through with everyone else wanted to just be with me. We carried on talking everyday for a good while...then suddenly, he stopped coming online. Stopped calling me. Stopped replying to my text messages & emails. A little while later I signed online & saw he was on. Preparing myself to talk to him, as soon as I'd signed on, he signed off. I'd finally taken the hint.

Up until now, I don't know what changed. I know he'd been with tourists
before because he'd told me, but he'd said how he was bored of it & wanted to settle down (looking back I can't believe I actually fell for that line?)...but to just act so cold after so long with no warning is still a shock to me. I'm guessing that he has found another woman. My friend is still on good terms with JK, they claim to be in love, although a lot of girls are telling her that he's just a dog like the rest of them. They don't have proof, perhaps they are just presuming he is a sankie because the rest of the are, perhaps they are right...I don't know. I am suspicious but I choose to keep my mouth closed as I know my opinion is probably worthless. But my friend is moving over there for good in November, living with him & buying their own place (he is paying). As for me, well...now I'm staying with them at JK's house for a few weeks in November seeing as all my flights are booked & things with RB are still confusing/dead. I'll most likely be seeing him there as he is best friends with JK but I've already made a mental note to either ignore him if he gives attitude or be polite if he's friendly. Nothing more, nothing less.

The conclusion I've come to is, not to go off with hotel resort workers. Even if all you're looking for is a good time, you may get sucked in. I myself do not even know why I did - this is my 4th trip to the DR & I know what these men are like. In the least braggish way possible, I do get a lot of attention back home & do have a general disliking towards long distance relationships...yet I still got sucked in. A fine mix of both my stupidity & too many pina coladas! No I didn't lose any money, but I had a good chunk of my time wasted by someone who suddenly chooses to ignore me. Funny thing is, in the past I have met & spent time with very wealthy, educated Dominicans who I met in Santo Domingo, but I treat that as a game & left without a trace at the end of my stay, wanting to get far as possible to get back to my hectic life in London & forget about the romance. Yet the moment I go to a place like Puerto Plata & meet a photographer at a hotel, I fall hook line & sinker & want to play happy families. How ironic! :ninja:

flowergrl

Aug 25, 2008
eva16, i can totally relate to your story! i just fell "hook, line and sinker" for a resort worker too. and like yours, he spent months reeling me in on the phone and computer after our first meeting. he even convinced me to go back and visit him. i just returned home after a fabulous week with him last month - only to never hear from him again - he ignored my calls and texts and wouldn't respond online. thanks to the wonders of facebook ;) i found out that two days after i left him to come home, he was off to spain to visit another tourista!

like you, i can't believe i fell for his game! i've been travelling to the DR for more than 15 years and have watched the games these guys play - i should have known better, but it seems these sanky games aren't reserved for just dominican animation staff and bartenders and servers -- he's a supervisor at the hotel - he's not dominican - has an education equal to mine - i'm not rich either, and have a serious shopping addiction ;) so our bank accounts were pretty much equal too. up untill all contact was lost, i honestly didn't have a clue he was playing me - and i was looking for clues!

it's been a month since i've heard from him and thankfully i respect myself enough to have gotten over this nasty case of latin fever quickly. i felt very ashamed of myself and my behaviour at first, but now the way i see it is that it was fun while it lasted and i too didn't loose out on any money. he won't stop my visits to DR - I love country and the culture - and he won't stop my visits to the hotel (it's my fav!). but if i do ever see him again, i will look straight through him and treat him like the sanky resort worker he is.

my suggestion is that you do the same girlfriend!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yet the moment I go to a place like Puerto Plata & meet a photographer at a hotel, I fall hook line & sinker & want to play happy families. How ironic! :ninja:

We've heard this one before. Next time when you try to ridicule someone on this board you will take into account that some of us read these stories and remember the details.

flowergrl

Aug 25, 2008
nothin funny...at least not on my part...i don't know anything about her other than what she posted...

i'm new here and just wanted to share my story...it's still fresh...so it felt real good to get it off my chest...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
What is wrong with getting attached with someone that lives in your hometown?!!!!!!!!!!

Amor de lejo...............................................................................:tired:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You know, I think people could learn more from each other's stories. The ones that are lurking might take more notice because I don't believe anyone ever learns anything by being bashed or called names. ;)

Why don't we leave it at that.

eva16

Aug 28, 2008
eva16, i can totally relate to your story! i just fell "hook, line and sinker" for a resort worker too. and like yours, he spent months reeling me in on the phone and computer after our first meeting. he even convinced me to go back and visit him. i just returned home after a fabulous week with him last month - only to never hear from him again - he ignored my calls and texts and wouldn't respond online. thanks to the wonders of facebook ;) i found out that two days after i left him to come home, he was off to spain to visit another tourista!

like you, i can't believe i fell for his game! i've been travelling to the DR for more than 15 years and have watched the games these guys play - i should have known better, but it seems these sanky games aren't reserved for just dominican animation staff and bartenders and servers -- he's a supervisor at the hotel - he's not dominican - has an education equal to mine - i'm not rich either, and have a serious shopping addiction ;) so our bank accounts were pretty much equal too. up untill all contact was lost, i honestly didn't have a clue he was playing me - and i was looking for clues!

it's been a month since i've heard from him and thankfully i respect myself enough to have gotten over this nasty case of latin fever quickly. i felt very ashamed of myself and my behaviour at first, but now the way i see it is that it was fun while it lasted and i too didn't loose out on any money. he won't stop my visits to DR - I love country and the culture - and he won't stop my visits to the hotel (it's my fav!). but if i do ever see him again, i will look straight through him and treat him like the sanky resort worker he is.

my suggestion is that you do the same girlfriend!

I'm glad to hear you got over it quickly! I also think the country is a great one and a bad experiance with a guy will not change my opinion of that, after all, there are dogs in every country no matter where you go. It was a learning experiance and when I do next see him I will simply mind my own business, no fuss no frills. Thank you for your response.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Good thing you found out he was no good before loosing any money. I suggest you stay at a resort when you go back in Nov, so that you are not caught up in the drama again.

eva16

Aug 28, 2008
Next time when you try to ridicule someone on this board you will take into account that some of us read these stories and remember the details.

Why would I ridicule someone for posting on this board - is that the way things work round here? :tired:

eva16

Aug 28, 2008
Good thing you found out he was no good before loosing any money. I suggest you stay at a resort when you go back in Nov, so that you are not caught up in the drama again.

Yes, I may just do that. Thanks.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
hey, you only live once. i say go for it. after all, we men do :laugh:
it's funny though, men never tell their western union stories on here :ermm:

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Yet the moment I go to a place like Puerto Plata & meet a photographer at a hotel, I fall hook line & sinker & want to play happy families. How ironic! :ninja:

Sounds all to familiar, my niece has been with a resort photographer for the last 2-almost 3 years, she has been there 3 times -the last time she stayed for two months!! to this day she insists "He is different" *puke face*, He's not different, she's just too blind to see the truth!

truly a sad situation! I have no hope left for her, she's on her own now! Well she has parents that are oblivious of her actions!!

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
Just out of curiosity, how many men do you ladies sleep with in 1 week when you go to the islands ? I am really eager to meet some Europeans when I go to DR ;)

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Just out of curiosity, how many men do you ladies sleep with in 1 week when you go to the islands ? I am really eager to meet some Europeans when I go to DR ;)

LoL....Geez!!

Not everyone that visits the Islands are there for sex...if it happens it happens!!:eek:

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

Don't take this the wrong way sammy, but female tourists looking to score may not be looking to hook up with a matching gringo:ermm:. They can stay home for that.

But if you are young, fit and latino just speak exclusively in spanish and tell them you live in Santiago and are vacationing at the resort.

latinosbooty

Nov 8, 2007
i have lived in the DR for 5 months now nearby one of the main AI resorts and i've seen animation come in and out of the hotel with a different girl each week, not just young girls but women 3 times their age, and u just know the gringa has fallen for it again. I'm not innocent to say the least I have been coming on vacations to the DR for 7 years before moving here and yes i fell for it plenty of times, the famous lines of, 'i've fallen in love with u', i want to marry u' blah blah blah blah!!! What ever girl says "he's different" needs a gud slap sorry to say, coz they really aint different, they'll have a wife and 5 kids somewhere!!!