Currency chart ?

maggiemex

Jul 26, 2008
Brooklyn, NY;
Hola, amigos.

In less than a week I'll be in the DR for the first time, at Blue Bay Villas Doradas, and I'm glad I found "DR1" to get info.

Is there a sort of reference chart somewhere that gives a breakdown list of estimated (since rate usually changes daily) currency values for US$ vs Dom Rep peso and vice versa? Eg., $1 US = XX DR; $5 US = XX DR. THEN MAYBE 10 pesos = $XX US, blah blah blah?

The mathematical part of my brain seems to be on vacation, too, so this would help.

Muchas gracias,
Maggiemex

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Just use your basic math skills you learned in grade school. If such place is giving you 35 pesos to the dollar......just times it by the dollar.

Use increments of 10....10 Us=350 pesos.....for 20 x by 2.......for 5 / by 2
Of course im using a round number which makes it easy. In most cases ive seen in stores and such, they usually give rounded off prices like 33, 34, 35, and not the actual of 33.45 and so on.

Seems much quicker to me than having a piece of paper to look up, and of course when someone sees you doing this, they know you have no clue, and maybe take advantage.

Our parents always told us those basic math skills will come in handy one day!!!!

Mar 2, 2008
I think she is looking for a site were she can get the current rate of exchange, so that she can do the math.
At least, that is all that xe does, gives the up-to-the-minute rate of exchange as it fluctuates through the day, and there is no paper involved, it is simply $1 = x pesos, given online.

Mar 2, 2008
Well, not true exactly. They never use decimal points on the street, but they use them all the time in banks. And when you are talking about .50 and up, it can add up quickly.

Let's see 34.65 x $1000 = 34,650 pesos, while 34 x $1000 = 34,000 pesos. With 650 pesos you can get a decent meal and a few Presidentes. It might be worth it to use the bank and the decimal point.

Also, dividing the peso price by 3 might be the simple way, but is it worth losing over 10% of your money on every transaction? Not to me it's not.

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
Cheat Sheet

Go to activecabarete.com then click on currency converter on left side of page. You will then find a button for a "cheat sheet" after you input the type of currency you want.

Reactions: bigbird

maggiemex

Jul 26, 2008
Brooklyn, NY;
DWIGHT, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR (Muchicimas gracias!) ... and I'll have to explore that Cabarete website more, too.

Y TODO EL MUNDO -- Thank you all for taking the time to respond; really appreciate it.
Margaret