Buying a unit in a hotel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Is it technically possible and legally executable to buy a unit (a room or a free standing living structure) in a hotel?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Is it technically possible and legally executable to buy a unit (a room or a free standing living structure) in a hotel?

I don't know if that answers your question, AK. But some Hotels have sold units... HotelTour [sp?] comes to mind.
Yet, I doubt they have "deslindado" horizontally... so there will most likely be no titles but a good bunch of contracts. As some of these hotels still operate and many or them under the AI concept, it further complicates things. Mainly the sale is attached to a lease to the hotel... the buyer essentially becomes a investor and may find access to his unit very limited.
Many times the Hotel group leases the right to operate out to yet another party. More like than any condo situation the buyer becomes subject to see his property rights ruled by too many parties which decide on maintenace costs and marketing decisions as to how to "lease" units and split income in between the food and fun operation and raw rental income and their profits.
I have looked into one situation like that in Playa Dorada and when I was given by both, the "owner" and those who ran the hotel at that time (yes, they have an operator lease on the whole thing, just to top the complicated issues up a level) information which was less than concise... I walked away and haven't looked back.

... J-D.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I don't know if that answers your question, AK. But some Hotels have sold units... HotelTour [sp?] comes to mind.
Yet, I doubt they have "deslindado" horizontally... so there will most likely be no titles but a good bunch of contracts. As some of these hotels still operate and many or them under the AI concept, it further complicates things. Mainly the sale is attached to a lease to the hotel... the buyer essentially becomes a investor and may find access to his unit very limited.
Many times the Hotel group leases the right to operate out to yet another party. More like than any condo situation the buyer becomes subject to see his property rights ruled by too many parties which decide on maintenace costs and marketing decisions as to how to "lease" units and split income in between the food and fun operation and raw rental income and their profits.
I have looked into one situation like that in Playa Dorada and when I was given by both, the "owner" and those who ran the hotel at that time (yes, they have an operator lease on the whole thing, just to top the complicated issues up a level) information which was less than concise... I walked away and haven't looked back.

... J-D.

A very authoritative clarification, thank you.
For whatever reason I was not allowed to post a rep point! Robert?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Be very careful doing this. Many Apart Hotels sell units without the proper Titles. You could lose your money if it is sold or in other ways. Make sure you have a good Real Estate Lawyer if you choose to do this.

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008

Yes, you can. Make sure the documentation is correct and there are very clear bylaws. There are condo laws and aparthotel laws in the Dominican Republic which need to be followed. There are many condo/hotels in the country.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and in case of the 'property'/condo/appartment/room to purchase i would not do so without the separated 'title' in my own name for my purchased property.
the rest are separate contracts, like regulations about included(with the purchase lifetime given rights) electricity, maintenance, right to use pools or other facilities, gardening srevices aso.
i know that many/if not most such purchasings are done just with many contracts but without a separate Title for the purchased property, many work just fine, but whta happens in case of ownership change(maybe the actual owner dies and the family has an different idea of "what been a little contract/handshake" by the former owner)?, the new owner may see such things very different than the former one seriously handled such.
for myself own property means own Title with my own name on it as the Owner.
Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
AK,
i've been told that you have to give 20 reputation points to other members before you can give again a reputation point to the same person.
i don't like such rule neither, it makes just sence to prevent that one 'friend' makes on each post a bunch of rep-points for his buddy independent if the contribution to the bord been valuable or not.
but what happens if i read 3 posts on different threads or even on the same thread by the same person and want to say 'thank you' by giving exactly those points to the poster? it is not allowed/possible.
to start a rating system been in my eyes a good idea, but i miss the working idea behind it, the way it is now i don't like it because it does not show nothing.
should be stopped an thought about a different way of 'repute' members and brought back then.
Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, it can be done BUT ONLY if the hotel becomes a condominium. Any other possible mechanism will leave the buyer unprotected from fraud or bankruptcy, etc.

What if the place in question is renting apts by the day also, is it legal to sell apts also?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There is no contradiction here. For example, most hotels in Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata, were set up as condominiums and sold to individual investors who bought their units precisely because they wanted to receive income from the rentals of their units as hotel rooms. In cases like these, hotel management and the unit owners enter into a long-term contract which allows the owners to use their units for several weeks a year.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is no contradiction here. For example, most hotels in Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata, were set up as condominiums and sold to individual investors who bought their units precisely because they wanted to receive income from the rentals of their units as hotel rooms. In cases like these, hotel management and the unit owners enter into a long-term contract which allows the owners to use their units for several weeks a year.

Specifically, what about a place that is an Apart Hotel, currently applying for a Hotel license. Can they sell apts legally for the owners personal use?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The lawyer mispoke and your believing him. Hundreds and hundreds of condos sell without titles all the time. He is wrong. I know what he means but what he said was wrong. Anyone who has been around here for a long time know better than that.
I have many friends who bought condos witout titles.

No, Al Al, Fabio J. Guzman did not misspeak, he is legally correct an you are not!!!The only legal recognizable proof of real property ownership is a 'Certificate of Title' any other piece of paper given to you as proof of sale/ownership is a contract that may or may not be legal. Anything but a Certificate of Title leaves the buyer/new owner vulnerable. Any real property purchased in Dominican Republic without a Certificate of Title is a disaster waiting to happen; the epitome of unnecessary risk!

NotLurking

Status
Not open for further replies.