Freestyle Catamaran

Moar

Jan 28, 2008
HI
I need some info. and yes I emailed the company directly first and got NO reply:
I know the catamarans go close to the beach in Sosua but where do they board and let the tourists off?
I think it is a beach near Puerto Plata but I'm not sure
Gracia Amigos

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
The freestyle catamaran leaves Playa Dorado and arrives in Luperon around 3:30 pM, going with the afternoon trades. They stop at a small beach before entering Luperon Bay . The tourists I've seen seemed to enjoy the trip.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The freestyle catamaran leaves Playa Dorado and arrives in Luperon around 3:30 pM, going with the afternoon trades. They stop at a small beach before entering Luperon Bay . The tourists I've seen seemed to enjoy the trip.
The OP was enquiring about the SOSUA beach trip fightfish so YES, Lambada is correct in that the catamaran leaves from Playa Dorada Hotel (now possibly called something else as they ALWAYS appear to be changing their names!:cheeky:!) and boarding is at 08.30 hours. Offices for Freestyle can be found in the Plaza Turisol complex opposite the Brugal Bottling Plant!

I am intigued by this LUPERON trip though - is this every day? Do you know how long it stays in Luperon &/or what time the return trip is? If the catamatan arrives at Luperon at 15.30 hours then I suspect it is either an overnight stay or some of the return trip will be in the dark. Now THAT should be quite an interesting trip & one I will check out myself with Freestyle!!

Thanks for the info & I'll report back as soon as I have the information from them (&/or done the trip myself!!). ~ Grahame

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
The cat that goes from POP to Luperon is a one way trip. They dock at Luperon Yacht club, cruise up to POP to pick up their guests then return downwind to luperon. The trip back to POP is by bus.

Moar

Jan 28, 2008
return?

when we went we returned to the same beach we boarded on Moar

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
There is a Super Cat that drops inside the reef in cabarette with all of the toys, is this the same company.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The cat that goes from POP to Luperon is a one way trip. They dock at Luperon Yacht club, cruise up to POP to pick up their guests then return downwind to luperon. The trip back to POP is by bus.
Forgive my ancient old brain fightfish but I am getting somewhat confused here.

Is this a Luperon based company then?
Is the company operating this trip called Freestyle as well?
Do you know what time they leave Luperon in the mornings & if they would allow an 'old codger' like me to act as a crew member for the trip up to POP?
Do you know what time (& where) they pick up in Playa Dorada?
Do they also go to Sosua as per the OP's original question?

As I said above, this sounds like a fairly interesting excursion if you like sailing. ~ Grahame.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The DR will never be like Hawaii, but I would like to show some comparrisons as when I was 29 Waikiki Beachboys Canoe Club

I am going to ad some pictures, as that was the best two years of my life.

Could not ad the pics, Where is the Big Kahuna when we need him.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Freestyle goes from Playa Dorada Beach - they load close to the beach in front of what used to be called the Occidental Gran Flamenco and I believe is now called the Barcelo Grand.

It goes to Sosua Bay and then to a place called 3 rocks before returning to the location you boarded.

I believe the trip to Luperon is offered by a different company.

I highly recommend Freestyle Catamarans, it is a great day out on the ocean.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Concur

I concur with Planner's recommendation for Freestyle Cats on the ocean out of P. Dorada. Great trip well done.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
There is a truly beauitiful sailing Catamaran called Tip-Top that sails from Maimon (spelling?) at around 8:00Am. It is a 24Mtr open Cat that you have to sail on to beleive. The power and speed are stunning.
They do the ususal stuff - snorkelling, beach stop, food, booze ?tc.
They fetch up in Luperon - again worth a visit when you approach from the sea- and then bus you back for around 6:00PM.
They will pick you up from any location in Sosua in the morning.
For tickets, ask the happier of the two Dutch guys at Don Andres hotel, Sosua (opposite the school)- he will point you in the right direction.
I do not recommend much, but this is actually an awesome (though very relaxed) sailing experience.
Food is pretty good too....

This must be the cat i am talking about that anchors in cabarete.

A 24m cat in these winds is a must, can you find a Phone number for this company as that is my style of Yachting.

North Shore Dr that is !

sosua1

Sep 24, 2006
For those who suffers from sea sickness better take gravol first, this way we won't have to pass the bucket and waste your money, beleive me I see it every year. Going again soon....

Ryeman

Nov 23, 2008
Yep, definitely going on the Freestyle cat again this time around!
More like a half day trip IIRC..