gun possession/carry/use ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
1. As a permanent resident, can I acquire a carry permit for an existing, previously undocumented, at home (DR), .45 ACP handgun and 12 gauge shotgun?

2. What are the laws regarding importation of ammunition for personal use?

3. Where are the ranges in Santo Domingo, and what are the costs for weekly practice (100rds/.45, 25rds/12 gauge)?

4. What are the general laws/rules for using deadly force, at home and in public?

5. Why are most gun threads locked????????????????

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
1. As a permanent resident, can I acquire a carry permit for an existing, previously undocumented, at home (DR), .45 ACP handgun and 12 gauge shotgun?

2. What are the laws regarding importation of ammunition for personal use?

3. Where are the ranges in Santo Domingo, and what are the costs for weekly practice (100rds/.45, 25rds/12 gauge)?

4. What are the general laws/rules for using deadly force, at home and in public?

5. Why are most gun threads locked????????????????

1. Buy a new gun. First off, nothing larger than a 9mm / .38 cal is allowed to be legally registered and owned. Second, registering a previously unregistered firearm is a real pain in the a**.

2. If you get a nice 9mm you can get parabellum loads. They will definitely get someone's attention.

3. Dunno

4. Move the body to a safe location...like in the middle of a sugar cane field!

5. Beats me.

Reactions: Lapurr

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a range out o Betancourt, on the right side....forgot the name.

.45 are military and not for civilians.

12 ga. can be obtained. Currently there is a prohibition on imports of ammo. Go figure.

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is, and has been for over two years a prohibition of both ammo and guns into the DR. Hence, the insane prices for guns in this country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
since we are on a subject of guns...
i know a permanent resident can obtain the gun permit and i believe the whole process was explained in many details in here.
i do not come from a gun loving country (it is very hard to get gun permit in poland) so i have a problem understanding this "concealed weapon" thing. it seems a person having a gun permit cannot carry a concealed gun. concealed means hidden, right? so what, am i supposed to swing it from my hip? surely having firearms in the open ain't wise? where is a gun supposed to be kept?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
In a locked gun case with no bullets. I'm from Canada:cheeky:

Fully loaded with a round chambered, under my pillow. I'm from "The Great State of Florida":bandit:

To DV8, you are allowed to have a concealed carry license in the DR.

Ricardo
"A Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces"

Reactions: Lapurr

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
Fully loaded with a round chambered, under my pillow. I'm from "The Great State of Florida":bandit:

To DV8, you are allowed to have a concealed carry license in the DR.

Ricardo
"A Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces"

Amen. Guns without bullets are badly shaped hammers and useful for very little. If you have the training and experience to use a gun, keep it loaded and ready to use. And never pull it out until you are ready to use it!

...from the great state of confusion in the US!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks, guys!
i was wondering since miesposo's dad keeps his gun in a little pouch, heck, what do you call that thing? - holster? in any case, the gun is inside but the holster is between seats in the car or on a table (if at home). is this considered "concealed"? is normal gun permit in DR for concealed weapon or not?
ricardo, if i kept a gun under a pillow i'd shoot my head right off - i move too much in my sleep...:cheeky:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
thanks, guys!
the gun is inside but the holster is between seats in the car or on a table (if at home). is this considered "concealed"? is normal gun permit in DR for concealed weapon or not?
ricardo, if i kept a gun under a pillow i'd shoot my head right off - i move too much in my sleep...:cheeky:

Is it illegal to ship gun parts, like the barrel, spring, mags and slide??

Last edited:

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Thanks for the great responses and pm's! Looks like I'll be "re-tooling" to 9mm. Hmmm, I think I still have some Winchester Ranger +P+ 127 gr HP laying around........

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I do not want to hijack this tread, but since we are on the gun subject, I miss my guns and miss the range time also. When I have my residency I'll get a license. Meanwhile I'm looking for a Glock 19 or a Springfield XD. Any hint? I was in a shop in SD, but they had only 4 used pistols, 2 of them was a HS2000, the original croatian made XD, and the price was an outrageous 120000 pesos!!!
Is there anyone who might want to get rid of the above guns? Legal transactions only!

TheHun

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
To the best of my knowledge, all gun permits in the DR are essentially for "carry and concealed". They do not differentiate as we do here in the US. I recall an edict from some president or chief of police noting that people must conceal their weapons here because to do otherwise causes too much of an overt threat.

Don't try to analyze that logic, it will only sprain something.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Meanwhile I'm looking for a Glock 19 or a Springfield XD. Any hint? I was in a shop in SD, but they had only 4 used pistols, 2 of them was a HS2000, the original croatian made XD, and the price was an outrageous 120000 pesos!!!

TheHun

That's some major price gauging:ermm: I just sold this SA XD 9mm package stateside last week, US$675 for EVERYTHING.

IMG_1523.jpg

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Nice

That's some major price gauging:ermm: I just sold this SA XD 9mm package stateside last week, US$675 for EVERYTHING.

IMG_1523.jpg

All of that for $675. I am seeing about $125+ worth of premium ammo, plus an IWB holster, extra mags. My mags cost $50 each. Not bad at all.

What is that white thing in the picture??
Also, I see the gun came with a double mag pouch and speed loader, what's that other thing next to speed loader?

TheHun

May 4, 2008

IMG_1523.jpg

Darn! I wish I'd know about it. PM me if you know any other for this price or if the new owner does not like it. Even if you know any store without gauging the price up to the sky.
Thanks.

TheHun

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i heard a gun in DR will cost several times as much as in USA... like all luxury items, i guess...

can i learn how to shoot in a shooting range in DR or do i need a gun permit to use a gun there? so far my experiences with guns are not impressive although i managed to hit a target at a scouting competition :cheeky: - 15 years ago :cheeky:
and yes, once i shoot xmas decoration off the tree when practising with my dad (we are talking toy gun here, of course :bunny:)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What happened regarding two permits is this. When Leonel started his term 4 years ago your Tenancia License was for both. Then he changed the law and said you need a special license to carry. Well many prominent people complained and they just gave anyone that had a Tenancia License the Porte License to carry for 850rd more. That is where we are today.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
What is that white thing in the picture??
Also, I see the gun came with a double mag pouch and speed loader, what's that other thing next to speed loader?

It's amazing how there isn't a HUGE black market for guns/ammo in the DR considering the exorbitant prices on existing supplies.

The white holster is a SmartCarry deep concealment holster;
Gun holsters concealed by SmartCarry concealed holsters

I like that one when wearing shorts.

The thing next to the speed loader and 2x mag pouch is a holster;
XD Belt Holster [XD3501BH] - $26.00 : Springfield Armory Store

I don't know if I could pay US$3,500 for an old used gun that I can get for $500-600 new.

Might have to pay a general to get mine "baptized":pirate:. When in Rome...................

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
forget about the rates in the US.
count on 3x times the rate for a new top Brand like the Glocks, HS2000, Berettas, S&W, Thaurus aso.
only the additional 'porte' license allows to carry the gun outside of your home/office, for transportation from one point to an other you have to lock it in a box in your car, unloaded, shots have to be transfered in a separate locked box.
you always have to wear a gun concealed.
there are specific locations where you never ever will be allowed to carry a gun, not even with the 'porte' license(only exceptions are military batches holders, authorities aso), such as at public drinking places like car washes, bars, nightclubs, banks, marked military areas(careful here, usually even the public road passing in front of every simple police station has the signs up "Zona Militar", high security areas of national interest(Airports).
of course i know that many don't care about those rules/laws/obligations,
to wear a gun is a huge macho thingy, to let it at least 'half visible out of under the t-shirt' when sitting at the carwash is a dominican macho must do.
to carry a gun without a full charger and the chamber loaded, why you carry a gun???
in addition to the rates:
only my spare clips for the 92FS Black Beretta cost a $85.- each.
the gun itself actually RD$125.000.-.
the additional 'porte license' is a joke to get,
costs just 800+ pesos extra, the shrink test for a license is as complicated to pass as the test for a dominican drivers license, a joke.
it brings them some extra money i assume.
i heavily recommend to listen to the prior posters who recommended not to try to 'legalize' a non registered firearm of any kind or size aso unless it is not in your personal posession since it left the fabrication, because you would be held responsible for any documented illegal action coming up by the ballistics of the gun.
like mentioned in prior posts, unless you have a 'perfect' plan to deal with the cadavers do not shoot after 'runaways' outside of your own private property.
a cooked and chamber filled gun under your pillow:
what the heck would a gun be of use locked in some 'box' over night???
Intruders may find it before you wake up to realize that they are 'arrived'.
without professional training in handling a firearm:
forget about to waste your money against yourself.
this is life, not a movie.
max cal allowed for private persons is 9mm.
shots are very expensive like the firearms themselves,
but at least you get all existing brands/mades/kinds of shots.
stay save,
hurricanes are by far not the biggest danger on the island
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: socuban
Status
Not open for further replies.