Etrurine Berrault

T

tom adams

I am looking for information on Etrurine Berrault.
He was the son of count Berrault from france,and was govenor of Stanto Domingo.I have a painting of him, and on the back it says
"He was crucified in his house (the door) by the negroes during the revolution"
That is all i know about him.
If you have any info. E-mail me at tomawood@hotmail.com

Thanks, Tom Adams

T

tgf

I wonder if the painting states Santo Domingo or Saint Domingue?
The Haitian slave rebellion of 1793 against French colonial powers was very bloody. Many of the white colonists were initially killed. The governor would be a powerful symbol of repression for the slaves and a natural target. While the French controlled the whole island later briefly under Napolean, they were soon pushed out by the Haitian forces under Christophe and Dessalines. I bet the writer confused French Saint Domingue with Spanish Santo Domingo.

T

tgf

Re: Rebellion of 1791

I meant to write 1791 when the slave revolt began. Independence was declared in 1804. There are two good books called The Black Jacobians and History of Negro Revolt by C.L.R Jones concerning the Haitian revolution. Also, From Columbus to Castro by Eric Williams has pretty good sections devoted to the Haitian revolution. I would check the local library (at least one of these books should be available) and go throught the index. There might be something about this individual's unfortunate demise.

H

Hillbilly

Excellent posts!! Applause!

There is a lot of confusion over Santo Domingo and Saint Dominque. The history of the slave rebellions and their outcomes are generally neglected, and the works you have cited are certainly important. I will have to look thru my collection to see what I can find. Thanks for the pointers..

HB