Weather help for a concerned Brit

hopefulannie

Sep 3, 2008
Hello to everyone...

I've been lurking reading this forum since I booked my holiday to Bavaro many months ago.

I am due to fly out to Punta Cana airport on 18th September and have been following the many tropical depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes as they develop. This is all very new to me being a Brit - we only really have to worry about constant drizzle or whether we'll actually get a summer (haha)!

I am concerned about the weather outlook and I know that predicting the weather is pretty much a guessing game as it changes so frequently but I'm hoping that you guys here might be able to tell roughly what the weather will be like when I'm (hopefully still) holidaying over there? I fly out on 18th September and return 2nd October.

Judging by the current situation where the activity is very high at the moment is likely that this will subside anytime soon or will it continue? I know it's probably very hard to say but all I'm really hoping for is if anyone can tell me a) what the likelihood of me actually being able to fly out is (are flights regularly cancelled?) and b) whether it will rain constantly? or c) is it safe for me to travel?

I've been looking forward to my holiday for so long now, I think looking at the activity in the tropics at the moment maybe I need to check my expectations and start preparing myself that I may never actually make it to the DR :paranoid:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not to worry!!! What happens, happens...You have a much greater chance of having a fantastic holiday "out here" than not.

While, yes, there is a 'chance' of "something" occurring during your stay, so what? It can be, and usually is, a lot of fun...The resorts are built for this.

Do not worry over what you cannot control. You will have a great time and go home very sun burned.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If there is any danger from a safety viewpoint the charter company will deal with it accordingly - more likely a delay/rescheduling than a cancellation. Most likely if you happened to arrive in the middle of adverse weather conditions at your destination airport the aircraft would divert to its alternate, possibly the north coast if there was a storm down south. When you take off in UK your pilot will know the weather conditions here & flight plan accordingly - then all he has to take into account are any changes during the 8.5 hour flight. The weather at your destination airport will not be a surprise to your pilot - he has communication facilities & doppler so he can see what the conditions are waaaaay before landing. So to answer your questions: no airline will fly in unsafe conditions (pilots aren't masochists ;) ), & you could be delayed but not for 2 weeks so you will get here :cheeky:.

Phone your airline direct (they will probably be of more use than the tour operator or the travel agency) if you want your concerns allayed. Ask them how often they have had weather delays to your destination. And expect a very low number in response.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Follow DR1 Forums (mainly Weather & Beyond) and you will know what the weather in your area will be. There are constant updates on the weather. As said above, no one can forecast whether there will be a storm affecting Bavaro this far in advance. But, as also said, chances are in your favor that you will have sunny vacation days.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Annie,
welcome to the bord.
follow the weather updates/outlooks provided by many bordmembers like Chris on
http://www.dr1.com/forums/weather-b...ical-storms-hey-chris-theyre-lining-up-6.html
or for specific areas on the section "weather and beyond" here on the DR1 bord.
that far in advance nothing is expected/predictable for your arrival sept 18th,
a good date,
i have a beach BBQ sheduled for that day,
'cause it will be my birthday.
have a pleasant stay
Mike

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hurricane season ends sometime in November, you never know when these storms will start, you might have a week's notice but them they might just go off back into the atlantic and disappear but I say just come down and enjoy even the rain in the tropics, being out of England in a new country will definilty be fun.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
No worries the weather is luxurious there
rain a lil the bad weather now will subside
you will love it
from my experience it is awesome more often thatn not

hopefulannie

Sep 3, 2008
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I will keep checking up...

I know you're right that being away from England in a new country will defintely be fun and away from the stresses of everyday life.

Looking forward to spending some time in the DR soon! :D

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
exactly like that Annie.
given the choice to stay here at my beachfront home in PC for the 10-15hrs of a overrunning Cat2 hurricane or a walk in the cooler English september rain i would def spend that time here with some friends, having some cool drinks, a good conversation, some fresh fish in the oven and enjoy life while the bad weather passes by. even then you can enjoy your stay.
for now,
no danger in sight/predictable for sept 18th.
Mike