Confusing

Ballerina

Sep 3, 2008
Well I hope this isn't a totally stupid thing to wonder, but here goes. A bit of backround: There are quite a few latino men, including DR men, who work in a store my best friend and I go to a lot. She's cacausian but has a little mid east backround and it was her who first took me to this really big international market where people from about every culture work. There's some latinos and some DR's that we have spoken to a time or two, and they have hit on us both but me more than her...which is what confuses me. My friend is really really pretty, prettier than me in my opinion, she has everything that I've always heard latino men like, dark hair, curves, the whole shebang. I'm on the lean side because I'm a dancer, I have little curves compared to her and I have red hair...that just confuses the heck out of me :p I'm wondering is it just a weird thing with these guys...I mean, here's this voluptous friend of mine with long dark hair and here's me, skinny and red hair and skin so pasty I would disappear against a white wall. Are these men in particular just...different? Or do latino men indeed go after my type also, contrary to my previous beliefs? My best friend and I are both attracted to latino men but I always figured she'd be the one getting the attention from them! And even when I'm not with her, if I'm about town and pass a latino man, I get checked out. Not complaining, but I am curious.

P.S. I'm new here, so sorry if this is an annoying question or has already been covered!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The more you look like a foreigner, the more money they figure you have. It has nothing to do with much else.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Hi,just was wondering where this concept of foreigner and money comes from.Why do certain DR people thing not from DR = $ ??? I have several friends in the Dominican and their opinion about this seems to vary,but there are some (often encouraged by their peers it seems ) who expect from us and cannot understand that our cost of living is much diffrent than in the DR, A friend who worked in a resort in Cuba suggests that perhaps the reason for this is foreigners coming on vacation and boasting /flashing money ,material items ,acting as if they have more than they do. any thoughts?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Hi,just was wondering where this concept of foreigner and money comes from.Why do certain DR people thing not from DR = $ ??? I have several friends in the Dominican and their opinion about this seems to vary,but there are some (often encouraged by their peers it seems ) who expect from us and cannot understand that our cost of living is much diffrent than in the DR, A friend who worked in a resort in Cuba suggests that perhaps the reason for this is foreigners coming on vacation and boasting /flashing money ,material items ,acting as if they have more than they do. any thoughts?

I'm thinking you shouldn't wonder so much!!!!

Mar 2, 2008
Mamielizabeth, everyone has their own opinions on a variety of issues, and I don't think there is only one point of view being expressed here.

It could be that some tourists like to flash money, but I've never seen any evidence of that.

It is more likely that American media (advertisers in particular) send a message of obvious consuption and that is associated with life in the US. As most of know, it's not so easy to live to media standard, and a majority of people in the US get by through hard work and budgeting their money.

The budgeting part seems to me to be a missing element within Dominican society. From what I have seen, many Dominicans spend what they have when they have it, without much regard for future needs.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, but it helps explains why some Dominicans think gringos must all be rich, since some tourists have managed to save enough money for a vacation in the DR once every two or three years. They figure if the tourists have it now they must always have it, which is hardly the case for most gringos.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

You got on a plane a couple of times didn't you? That makes you rich. Some Dominicans have never even seen the other side of their own Island for lack of money.

You don't even have to flash money, the fact that you got there says it all. High cost of living back home? Those are all words not understood my someone that hasn't had the experience yet.

A cheap vacation is what, around 600.00 and up? Plus how much spending money do you take? Credit cards, car rental etc. Don't tell me you are not rich :cheeky:.

Now think about what they make in a month or where they live.

Note that you doesn't mean you specifically but it refers to all of us.;)

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
The more you look like a foreigner, the more money they figure you have. It has nothing to do with much else.

BINGO!!!!! the friend has dark features so maybe they figure she's latina too and would know their game.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
or maybe the friend who is "all that" and every DR man's dream just isn't all that approachable or encouraging

Mar 2, 2008
"Mirra mirra, on the wall, ..."
And I do mean "mirra, mirra" as in look at me, look at me!

Isn't that what this is all about?

Come on, who chooses a store based on the "looks" of the employees? You like getting the looks, and the attention. Not only that, you want people to know about it.

But how do you let people know you're the focus of all that attention without sounding narcissistic? Hey, I know, you can make it sound like your asking a legitimate sociological question.

Congratulations, Latin men like to look at you.

However, you should know it's not a very exclusive club you belong to. Latin men will look at anything that wiggles when it moves.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
catcherintherye;674627 However said:
That is correct. Hot blooded, baby!!!!!!!!

We even look at worms, (get it , wiggle!!!! lol, Funny Friday!!!!)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Catcherintherye-absolutely correct. Let me go into rant mode here(thanks for providing the lead-in on this one!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:). I haven't had a good rant here in a while, so here goes...

Having to deal with these monstrous egos, the insecurities, the vanity is EXACTLY why so many NA women are a turn-off. It doesn't seem to matter who the guy is they are talking to, as long as someone is paying attention to them-that is all they want.

I'll bet you anything the OP walks through this market every time she is looking for an ego boost-makes her feel exotic that latino men are seemingly falling all over themselves whenever she passes by. I'm sure it gets her hyped faster than a Red Bull with vodka.

(By the way-for all you aspiring winos out there-Red Bull+vodka=Thunderbird/Night Train/Wild Irish Rose. Take your pick.)

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel for us poor souls who have to deal with women like this-and you can begin to see this light once the flight attendant opens the airplane door and the captain announces, "Bienvenidos a la Republica Dominicana"...;););)

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
(By the way-for all you aspiring winos out there-Red Bull+vodka=Thunderbird/Night Train/Wild Irish Rose. Take your pick.)

/QUOTE]

To quote Robert De Niro " You talking to me"?

I going to have one right now!!!!:cool:

Mar 2, 2008
Which one are you going to have, Bronxboy?
Thunderbird, Night Train, Wild Irish Rose, MD 20/20, or a NA woman?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Which one are you going to have, Bronxboy?
Thunderbird, Night Train, Wild Irish Rose, MD 20/20, or a NA woman?

Enquiring minds want to know.

None of the above, well, maybe a NA woman.

My drink of choice is Vodka & Redbull and Berzin knows that!!!!! :bunny:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
My drink of choice is Vodka & Redbull and Berzin knows that!!!!!:bunny:

HAHAHA...I was joking Bronxboy...that was just me just on a rant.;););)

Funny how of all the things I said in that post the Red Bull/Vodka comment is the one that offended the most!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky: