punta cana hurrican ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj49ersrule

Sep 3, 2008
I'm going to Punta cana monday Sept 8-15. I was wondering does anyone know if the storm is supposed to hit here. On the maps it looks like it is coming toward Dr. I would be extremely upset if our vacay got cancelled please help thanks jj

LindaChicken

Sep 3, 2008
JJ -- will be watching your thread -- we will be there during the same time -- I've been watching the storms. *crosses fingers* Good luck w/your trip!

DomesticGoddess1987

Sep 1, 2008
profile.myspace.com
I'm going to Punta cana monday Sept 8-15. I was wondering does anyone know if the storm is supposed to hit here. On the maps it looks like it is coming toward Dr. I would be extremely upset if our vacay got cancelled please help thanks jj

Most of the weather stations have predicted it going in that direction, but it looks like most of them have it headed North of the DR..So hopefully it'll keep going north steer clear of the DR!! Good luck!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
You are paying reduced rates to vacation during the historically most active hurricane month of hurricane season...

What were your expectations?

I sincerely hope that the DR is not affected by what is currently TS Ike (although it is admittedly on the cusp of becoming a hurricane) and that your vacation is not infringed upon - although not nearly as much for you and your vacation as for the good people of the DR who have much, much more at stake than a possibly damaged vacation from which you would recover quite quickly. Sorry but it's how I feel.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

Reactions: LuvtheDR

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Roughly my sentiments too Gregg. I was getting a bit more 'HOT' round the collar as I read down the posts ready to make a reply .............. & then I saw yours.

People (especially you holiday makers coming down here) please remember that The Dominican Republic is a POOR country that has POOR people living in it. Many of them have mud or wooden huts to live in & once the roof (zinc or thatch) comes off that, they are really open to the elements & can loose EVERYTHING they possess within minutes. Add to that the chances of serious flooding, mudslides, authorities who open dams on them ............... & you can probably realise why we get a bit concerned for them at times!!

YOU THE HOLIDAY MAKER however, will have an air conditioned, concrete & very safe hotel to stay in & the WORST that can happen to you is a couple or three days without sunshine, the pool, or visits to the shops. If we get a REAL big'un, the tour company will lift you out to safety in plenty of time so that you hardly even see a raindrop (well not one that is travelling horizontally anyway!!). Further, MOST of the inconveniences you may suffer will be covered in some way by insurance & you will be able to replace what you (MIGHT) loose!!

Having said that, the chances of a direct hit from a force 3 or greater Hurricane on Punta Cana or the North Coast can be equated to the chances of you being involved in an air-crash on the way here :paranoid: :ermm: :cheeky: - come with confidence & enjoy your holiday by getting out & meeting those who have a lot less than yourselves!! ~ Grahame.

Reactions: Lapurr

LindaChicken

Sep 3, 2008
Hello to you fine people ~ I?m very sorry if my reply sounded flippant, that was not my intention. While we are very much looking forward to visiting your amazing beautiful Dominican Republic I would never wish any of the weather you are having on anyone!

I?m from Oklahoma and the only weather we have to deal with is wind/tornados/and hot dry summers. It?s very hard to wrap an Oklahoma mind around the force of a hurricane or even a tropical depression, being a "dry lander" and all, please, know my heart, thoughts and prayers are with anyone in the path of these powerful storms.

JJ -- Riu Palace

Cortisol

Sep 4, 2008
Well Hello All,
Me and my wife knew we were taking a risk coming at this time of the year to Punta Cana, but this seems to be really ridiculous. We are leaving Sunday afternoon from Montreal and Ike seems to be absolutely intent on blocking the flight path at this time. Also with Josephine lurking arond out there, it looks like if we get there we are going to have to stay holed up in the hotel room all week. But, me, never having been there, I have no idea if the rain there is more constant or broken. And how accurate are these models ?

Status
Not open for further replies.