Dominican History Videos/Speeches?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Quick question, does any know where I can find videos, news clips or audio clips pertaining to the DR and it's history. I'd like to download some.

For example video or audio clips of Balaguer, Juan Bosch, Trujillo, Leonel Fernandez. Audio clips of speeches given by important Dominicans. Or even video clips of news events in the DR like the US invasion of the 1960's etc or images of the civil war...press conferences....Also where can I download clips from let's say sporting events (like the Olympics)....

I know there are a bunch on You Tube, but I'd like to be able to download these.

Much ado,

Mr. Lu

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
I hope your search is successful as I trust the results would be interesting if your last offering was any example.

Sep 20, 2003
DVDs

Downloads? No. However, the Rene Fortunato Documentaries have several clips of speeches and press conferences you can watch.

One of Balaguer's 1968 news conferences is shown of the DVD "Power of Violence"(the title was something like that) and is a text book example of a Caudillo on the offensive. That footage of that press conference alone is worth the price of the DVD. Some of the Dominican journalists sparring with Balaguer were fearless and never backed down.(One of the journalists at the press conference clash was later the target of a car bomb.)

The other DVDs have several speeches by Balaguer,Trujillo, Reid-Cabral, and others.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks Ogre,

By the way do you have suggestions for other worthwhile videos to watch. For example I've seen ads for "El Poder del Jefe" which deals with Trujillo, but I'd like videos on Bosch, Pena Gomez etc. It's tough finding good videos on Dominican history online.

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Also,

Does anyone know where in Santo Domingo one could get these types of videos? Is there a video store that would sell them? I know there are video stores but they only rent Hollywood style films.

Mr. Lu

Sep 20, 2003
The "Violence of Power" DVD deals specifically with Balaguer's 12 years and has many clips of Juan Bosch and Pena Gomez. It also includes footage of crime scenes, funerals, and interviews with journalists and other well known Dominicans. The journalists who worked in the DR back then were a fearless lot. A lot of them ended up dead.

I don't know the stores that sell them off the top of my head, but if you do search of the boards something might come up. It was for sale at all of the bookstores in the Colonial Zone when i bought mine. The DVDs are really worth it.

May 12, 2005
Mr Lu,

I know that you can find speeches on Limewire. They are usually audio clips, but videos can also be found.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The Trujillo dvd "El Poder del Jefe" 1916-1961 comes in a trilogy format. Got mine in a bookstore in the Washington Heights area a few months back. Very informative. On the back of the case there is the following information that maybe helpful....

Distribuye:
Videocine Palau, S.A.
Tel. 809-482-8833 fax. 809-482-1770
e-mail: videocine@Verizon.net.do
Apartado postal 2500 Santo Domingo,RD
Cine Dominicano, Cine en la Republica Dominicana, documentales dominicanos

I tried the web page and its up and running. Plenty of good documentaries there. Enjoy the history lessons.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Thank you very much for the help. This is along the lines of what I was looking for... Off to do research.

Mr. Lu