bringing a guitar

pixelsketch

Mar 1, 2007
Any tips on how to avoid unjustified "import fees" on items like a guitar in a hard guitar case when we arrive? Probably into Puerto Plata.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have brought musical instruments in/out of the country and never been stopped. Tell them it's for personal use, a $10 bill usually works in aduana if you are hiding frozen steaks in the case!

tambo'

Reactions: J D Sauser

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I've brought a lap steel guitar along... electric Hawaiian, twice, into POP. They looked at it, shook their heads and proceeded to keep on searching for other stuff and did not find anything which seemed of interest to them, which is all it is about.
Guitars are not very expensive items around here, because what's around is not of very high quality.
They would get much more excited about an i-pod or a cell phone in a new box.... NEVER bring anything along in original packing. If you care for the box, fold it and pack it in an other bag.

If they try to pull something on you, hey, you are a hobby guitar player, you come and go... with your instrument. You play at churches and teach to children... (actually, you could do that).

... J-D.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have brought 5 or six guitars in, never had a problem. -though they did put it in a special area for delicate stuff in the baggage claim, which freaked me out a little when the conveyer belt for baggage stopped without having first produced my guitar.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I have brought in my guitars to the DR with me all the times. Never paid anything and did not have to check them. They did however, put it in the coat closet because it doesn't fit on the overhead. When we landed I went and retrieved it.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I just had two acoustics come in a shipment last week and there wasn't any problems. However, I also had a zoom-box packed for my electric and on the inventory list it was translated as "procesadora" (something like that), and the agents spent most of their time searching for this item as it brought much interest to them. My wah-wah pedal was another item they were "hot" for. Both these items were taxed astronomically and I would suggest leaving these items OUT of any inventory list for an incoming shipment. Maybe put down "accessory" as a general term.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I just had two acoustics come in a shipment last week and there wasn't any problems. However, I also had a zoom-box packed for my electric and on the inventory list it was translated as "procesadora" (something like that), and the agents spent most of their time searching for this item as it brought much interest to them. My wah-wah pedal was another item they were "hot" for. Both these items were taxed astronomically and I would suggest leaving these items OUT of any inventory list for an incoming shipment. Maybe put down "accessory" as a general term.

Probably it was indeed the effect pedals which were meant as "processador(a)".
When it comes to shipping and customs (not bringing on board of a flight yourself), it seems to become more and more evident to me how important it is to choose the right shipping company. Either some shipping companies will bill you for customs costs which are not true (can't document them) or others simply have better contacts at customs than others, I don't know yet. But with the company I am currently using I have brought thru very valuable, flashy, recognizable and appealing items and paid next to nada. The last one was a full body cladding set plus a new chrome plated grille for my new car... one opens it and can clearly recognize fancy car accessories... for which I paid over USD500.oo... customs in that case? 300 Pesos... that's next to FREE.
So, before having exotic items like musical instruments shipped, test drive your shipping company and only if you have been satisfied with their handling of "customs bills" one may consider trying something more complicated.

... J-D.

metalgirl404

Jul 24, 2008
i love to see that there are a lot musician here. is a amazing to know that there are still people with that passion in dr.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
All items that I had shipped in did not have original boxes, invoices, ect. In fact, items that were "brand new" had been previously arrainged to be opened and scuffed up a little (showing a little wear) did not even get noticed. I know now that experience is everything when dealing with these folks at customs. There were also many other items that were of a major concern (not music related) being taxed and questioned. These items flew through wandering eyes. The custom guy's basically looked over the inverntory list and targeted all the items that they were personally interested in, overlooking everything else.

Happy strumming

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
It reminds me when I brought a pedal steel guitar to Ecuador... they used to be quite harsh at customs... if you were "over" and had no money, you'd loose it all right there at the airport. Well, so here I came on down from Nashville where I had bought me a purdy double neck pedal steel guitar. First I decided I would not understand neither Spanish nor English... at times it helps. The opened the case... I don't think most will ever have seen a pedal steel up close in it's case... the legs are off and they are in the case upside down, so when you open, all you can see is some rectangular metal and wood thing packed full with rods, cross shafts, bell cranks and plenty of setting screws and springs... not a very musical sight! Did shook their hads, declared me as one more gringo loco and let me go... with 3000 Dollar instrument.

... J-D.