Periodontal Diseases

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Periodontal diseases (also known as gum diseases) are infections of the gum and bone that hold teeth in place. If problems are not treated, eventually cause tooth loss...the treatment is called "scaling and root planing". I will like to know if any of you have had this treatment in DR, where, the price, and if you were happy with it?
I got in contact with DENTAL CIBAO- posted here, where Chip had his teeth whitening, but I will like some other options and your opinion please, I need to go to DR next month for that treatment...any experience, advice will be appreciated....thanks...Lucille

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just go with Centro Dental Cibao and Rita Mu?oz....she will save your teeth...

HB

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Hillbilly...Thank you.... Who is Rita Munoz? Does she works with Centro Dental Cibao....if it is not, can you please give me her e-mail or telephone number....Also, can you please tell me what is SALUD BUCAL..?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Periodontal diseases (also known as gum diseases) are infections of the gum and bone that hold teeth in place. If problems are not treated, eventually cause tooth loss...the treatment is called "scaling and root planing". I will like to know if any of you have had this treatment in DR, where, the price, and if you were happy with it?
I got in contact with DENTAL CIBAO- posted here, where Chip had his teeth whitening, but I will like some other options and your opinion please, I need to go to DR next month for that treatment...any experience, advice will be appreciated....thanks...Lucille

You are right my cyber friend, you are sounding like a dentist.:cheeky:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You will know if you have have had a real deep cleaning, "scaling and root planing", if the dentest gives you several shots to numb the pain.

This is a 2 session procedure lasting up to two hours each.

Anything else is not the real deal

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rita is "my" dentist and she owns part of Centro Dental Cibao, which is what i thought you were referring to. It is on Sabana Larga in Santiago, just before Restauracion.

I don't have a phone book here. I'll tryand find the number.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And the number is : 809 971 5430....call about 10 or 10:30 a.m. Ask for Doctora Rita Mu?oz...

HB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You will know if you have have had a real deep cleaning, "scaling and root planing", if the dentest gives you several shots to numb the pain.

This is a 2 session procedure lasting up to two hours each.

Anything else is not the real deal

so this procedure is done after you find out you have the disease? or is it done as a prevention....in which case if you brush, floss and take care of your teeth i see no need for it, right?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
so this procedure is done after you find out you have the disease? or is it done as a prevention....in which case if you brush, floss and take care of your teeth i see no need for it, right?

Sorry wrong. That helps alot of the times but sometimes bad genetics will catch up with you.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Types of Gum Disease

Periodontal (gum) diseases, including gingivitis and periodontitis, are serious infections that, left untreated, can lead to tooth loss. The word periodontal literally means "around the tooth." Periodontal disease is a chronic bacterial infection that affects the gums and bone supporting the teeth. Periodontal disease can affect one tooth or many teeth. It begins when the bacteria in plaque (the sticky, colorless film that constantly forms on your teeth) causes the gums to become inflamed.

Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. It causes the gums to become red, swollen, and bleed easily. There is usually little or no discomfort at this stage. Gingivitis is often caused by inadequate oral hygiene. Gingivitis is reversible with professional treatment and good oral home care.
Periodontitis

Untreated gingivitis can advance to periodontitis. With time, plaque can spread and grow below the gum line. Toxins produced by the bacteria in plaque irritate the gums. The toxins stimulate a chronic inflammatory response in which the body in essence turns on itself, and the tissues and bone that support the teeth are broken down and destroyed. Gums separate from the teeth, forming pockets (spaces between the teeth and gums) that become infected. As the disease progresses, the pockets deepen and more gum tissue and bone are destroyed. Often, this destructive process has very mild symptoms. Eventually, teeth can become loose and may have to be removed.

There are many forms of periodontitis. The most common ones include the following.

* Aggressive periodontitis occurs in patients who are otherwise clinically healthy. Common features include rapid attachment loss and bone destruction and familial aggregation.
* Chronic periodontitis results in inflammation within the supporting tissues of the teeth, progressive attachment and bone loss. This is the most frequently occurring form of periodontitis and is characterized by pocket formation and/or recession of the gingiva. It is prevalent in adults, but can occur at any age. Progression of attachment loss usually occurs slowly, but periods of rapid progression can occur.
* Periodontitis as a manifestation of systemic diseases often begins at a young age. Systemic conditions such as heart disease, respiratory disease, and diabetes are associated with this form of periodontitis.
* Necrotizing periodontal disease is an infection characterized by necrosis of gingival tissues, periodontal ligament and alveolar bone. These lesions are most commonly observed in individuals with systemic conditions such as HIV infection, malnutrition and immunosuppression.

Types of Gum Disease