ScotiaBank Credit Card Shutdown

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Does anyone else with a credit card from Scotiabank had an agent call you to inform that they had to shutdown every credit card starting today due to fraud problems and will have to resend new plastics all over again within a few days??

I find the move OK, but certainly felt some disrespect that they shut it down without even giving a 24-hour window to get ready or something.

Anyone else with a similar experience??

Feb 7, 2007
I had my Banco Leon VISA debit card and VISA prepaid cards both cancelled. I found out the hard way, trying to make a purchase, with a message coming up "Retener Tarjeta".

An agent called me to tell me my (original) card was blocked a week AFTER I had my replacement card in my hands.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
If you do a search there are many reports of people being scammed here by various banks with various cards. I have been on a hopeless quest/investigation for over 18 months to get replies from the powers that be within various banks only to finally find out that the atms are not controlled by the bank branches that have them installed. The are run by a completely independant company and after much investigation were found to be running a major fraud business. What you are probably experiencing is the backlash from a lot of pressure for something to be done. The banks here would most times not help or support users complaints and regularly report to overseas banks that the users had received money when they hadnt. This mostly applied with users of international cards such as Visa etc, but because the thefts were eventually found to cover all aspects of cards used here, it looks like finally something is being done. But it is still continuing in some respects. just 10 days ago an amount was charged to one of my cards in La Sirena Santiago when I was in the US. I had not used my card there for 3 whole months and I had certainly not charged the large amount that was charged just recently, so the thefts/scams go on and on and on..... I have now finally decided I am no longer going to use any card in this country and would advise others to do the same.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Does anyone else with a credit card from Scotiabank had an agent call you to inform that they had to shutdown every credit card starting today due to fraud problems and will have to resend new plastics all over again within a few days??

I find the move OK, but certainly felt some disrespect that they shut it down without even giving a 24-hour window to get ready or something.

Anyone else with a similar experience??
I will try to have a word with someone at Scotia Bank tomorrow & then respond here if no-one has put up the information already. I would suggest in the meantime that YOU DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION RE YOUR ACCOUNT to people who ring you & tell you they are from Scotia Bank fraud dept or whatever. THIS could be the scam - that they ring you to get your card details & then use that information to make withdrawls/purchases for a week or two until you find you have been duped & stop the card yourself!!

Just because they SAY they are Scotia Bank Fraud dept (or whatever) does not mean that they ARE!! ~ Grahame.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
...atms are not controlled by the bank branches that have them installed. The are run by a completely independant company and after much investigation were found to be running a major fraud business.

Would withdrawing cash from inside the bank, face-to-face with a human teller, avoid the problem of ATM fraud?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I will try to have a word with someone at Scotia Bank tomorrow & then respond here if no-one has put up the information already. I would suggest in the meantime that YOU DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION RE YOUR ACCOUNT to people who ring you & tell you they are from Scotia Bank fraud dept or whatever. THIS could be the scam - that they ring you to get your card details & then use that information to make withdrawls/purchases for a week or two until you find you have been duped & stop the card yourself!!

Just because they SAY they are Scotia Bank Fraud dept (or whatever) does not mean that they ARE!! ~ Grahame.

That was exactly what I thought at first, but I rechecked and it was all fine, the card indeed was cancelled. This is a helpful advice Bushbaby.

I just wanted to make sure if this have happened to others holders of Scotiabank credit cards.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I had a call from a company called "Merchant ID theft" last week.

I only used my bank card once at POP airport (Banco Reservas) while in the DR Aug10-17.

The person that called only spoke spanish and started by verifying my name & my address (in Canada).

He then asked if I had an online chequing account.

I hung up immediately & cancelled by card.

Nothing has happened so far but it was definitely a scam of some sort.

My spanish is not that great & it took a bit to understand what was going on. I first thought someone was calling about my husbands family & that something was wrong but quickly understood that they were after my passwords and disconnected the call.

You can never be too careful as this problem seems to keep getting worse & worse.

Sangria

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hi, I work for Scotiabank in Cda. I worked at the Visa Centre for Scotiabank for 7 years, and now am currently working in a branch in Halifax Nova Scotia.

What Bush Baby has said is valid, do not give out your information to the person calling. Alot of fraudsters will pose as a fraud anyalisist, and will try to get information from you about your accounts.

At Scotiabank, we will contact people from time to time with regards to both their personal bank accounts as well as credit accounts, should their accounts get compromised.
I always reassure the customer, if they uncomfortable with the call, to use the number located on the back of the Scotiabank debit or credit card, and ask to speak with someone about their account. That way they KNOW they are speaking with Scotiabank. If it is a legit call, there will be a file opened regarding the compromised account.

I do know, as I worked in the Visa Centre for Scotiabank, that our fraud dept is working around the clock, and when fraud on a debit card or visa card is detected, they will block the card immediately, to protect both the bank and the customer for any losses. Unfortunately, that may leave some customers, without access until a new card can be sent to them. But it is for their protection that we do this. We offer 0 liability for Visa fraud. We also will send cards to customer, if they are out of country, via Fedex.

I hope this helps, and eases any concerns. As mentioned before, I would call the number on the back of your visa or debit card to talk to a Customer Service Representative who will be able to look at your accounts and determine if you are a victim of any fraud.

Lisa

Reactions: BermudaRum