Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After my third trip

I have been on the South shore and the North shore but cannot decide where i want to live if I move there.

I have researched all of the archives using the search function including " Juan Jullio the next South beach). Not much happening there.

I am not as young as I used to be so medical issues might arise.

Sandiego might be an option.

Any thoughts

sokitoumi

I would stay where you are if you dont know where you want to live...it should be somewhere that you are instantly drawn, to not somewhere that you are not sure about

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from sokittome.

I agree completely, no one else will be able to tell you where you want to live.

Different places have different appeals, and everyone's objectives are unique. You'll know it when you you find it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Many who have visited the DR over the years and who have posted in this forum have given thought to relocating; yours truly included. There is a wealth of information here on this subject, and a book authored by two regular posters. You really should do advances searches and do due dilligence before you make a move. Three vacations is not be adequate.

Paradise is not all that it is cracked up to be, and you will find many challenges in the DR, as you would in your home country or anywhere else. Still, if you have a fire in your belly for the country and its people, go for it.

Where in the DR? That really all depends on what you are planning to do when you get there. DR1'ers are generous with advice and information, but you've got to be more specific as to your goals and aspirations. As for health concerns, my understanding is that if you have good insurance or if you have enough money, you will be provided good health care in the DR.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Book?

What is the book authored by two regular posters?

apostropheman

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Collins View Post
    I have been on the South shore and the North shore but cannot decide where i want to live if I move there.

I have researched all of the archives using the search function including " Juan Jullio the next South beach). Not much happening there.

I am not as young as I used to be so medical issues might arise.

Sandiego might be an option.

Any thoughts

Dear Tom!
    If you have or expect to have soon a medical condition, moving to DR is not adviseable at all in my opinion. I know that it sounds unpleasant. Sorry!

DR is a great place with great beaches and great girls , but healthcare sucs if exist at all. DR is for fit and strong people. It is great to live here. But if a serious condition develops that requires medical attention - better to go back to US Florida if funds permit.

It is only my personal point of view. It may be incorrect, and I respect a different opinion of people who think otherwise.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

for most routine medical stuff the DR is on par with the US, if you have a little money and are in santiago or santo domingo. there are excellent doctors in the DR and many are US trained. there are doctors in this country that you could never afford in the US. on the other hand, if you are a difficult case or have a pre-existing illness that is being treated by numerous doctors now, you may be better off staying home. a hernia repair is no big deal here, same for re-attaching your thumb that you cut off with your first machete, this might not be a good place for brain surgery.
    try SD for a while and travel around a lot, you will fall in love with something.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AK74 View Post
    Dear Tom!
    If you have or expect to have soon a medical condition, moving to DR is not adviseable at all in my opinion. I know that it sounds unpleasant. Sorry!

DR is a great place with great beaches and great girls , but healthcare sucs if exist at all. DR is for fit and strong people. It is great to live here. But if a serious condition develops that requires medical attention - better to go back to US Florida if funds permit.

It is only my personal point of view. It may be incorrect, and I respect a different opinion of people who think otherwise.
    From where this non-sense comes from? I suppose you think you don't have to pay for medical expenses therefore goes to the public hospital when you develop a serious health condition.

In here there are a lot of prepared doctors who can treat almost every disease possible and are less expensive than in the US, of course to get the best you have to pay for the best. Santo Domingo and Santiago are the best cities if you expect to be going to the DR in a regular basis.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Cracker View Post
    What is the book authored by two regular posters?

Gene is unbelievably beautifull, stunning , loveable and charming lady and her book is excellent (I have three copies - one in each my home), although avoiding some delecate sensitive issues of expats` life and relations in this country.

Another real-life book that is highly recommended is "The Search for the Perfect Whore" by Rymond Archer.
    Contrary to the title it is not about prostitution and sex.

Written by an American living in DR it can help you to get a better or new understanding of life, social relations and agendas both in USA and in DR. Including such concepts as "democracy", "freedom", "advancement of women" and some others.

After reading this book you will be better prepared for life in DR and will read American newspapers very differently.

Regarding generally available Dominican health care, it is adequate as long as you are basically healthy.
    Last edited by AK74; 09-06-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: A nice important sexual description is removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast