Status Highway samana-santo domingo

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
there was a detour for several miles on thursday,do not think it was closed all together..my wife went back to el limon on wed,and my friend left for sosua on thursday,only comment was the detour...
bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
oh,by the way,I picked up a package from my wife in el limon this am,bus arrived here in SD at about 10am...so I would guess road is ok...
bob

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
are people now using this road to get to cabarete/sosua as an alternative to the mountain roads or the highway through POP? What's the average time from central SD?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Open

Drove back today back from SDQ and not flooded, it was open.
Driving time from Las Americas hi-way near airport in SDQ to main road 16 Km east of Nagua is 50-60 minutes. 3 toll booths total $325. From Zona Colonial to Cabarete/Sosua is still just about 3 hours, either way, but much more tranquilo than going through Santiago and SDQ. About same time as using the Moca road but much less hassle and traffic. Watch for the odd stray animal here and there but not common. Great drive.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
new road

I was on this road in the beginning of August , its very nice but not yet complete , it has a slight detour just before you get into Nagua but you still make great time , my time from the entrance to the the malicoln to semana or nagua #5 highway was about an 1 to 1-1/2 hours and that was going at a good speed on the highway , then from higway 5 on the malicoln to sosua was about 1 1/2 -2hrs also at a good speed so all tolled was about 3 1/2 hrs ,dont let anyone tell you different if you go at a casual rate of speed it will take longer. the road has no stops for gas or anything , make sure you have a full tank as when I got into the nagua area , the first gas station on the highway had been closed due to gas problems there . I went into nagua and there was about a 1000 motos and another 500 cars trucks etc trying to get gas , my suggestion is dont take the chance !! fill all the way up!!!! before leaving Santo Domingo or from the north , youll thank me for it later

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I was on this road in the beginning of August , its very nice but not yet complete , it has a slight detour just before you get into Nagua but you still make great time , my time from the entrance to the the malicoln to semana or nagua #5 highway was about an 1 to 1-1/2 hours and that was going at a good speed on the highway , then from higway 5 on the malicoln to sosua was about 1 1/2 -2hrs also at a good speed so all tolled was about 3 1/2 hrs ,dont let anyone tell you different if you go at a casual rate of speed it will take longer. the road has no stops for gas or anything , make sure you have a full tank as when I got into the nagua area , the first gas station on the highway had been closed due to gas problems there . I went into nagua and there was about a 1000 motos and another 500 cars trucks etc trying to get gas , my suggestion is dont take the chance !! fill all the way up!!!! before leaving Santo Domingo or from the north , youll thank me for it later

I just did the drive and agree with your times. Everyone else is hitting themselves or driving at an unsafe rate of speed. Remember your still in the DR and the roads are not the best. I got a flat on the way back to the capital because of the roads. Some nice guy pulled over and lent a hand in changing the tire. He wouldn't accept any money either.

I just did the drive and agree with your times. Everyone else is hitting themselves or driving at an unsafe rate of speed. Remember your still in the DR and the roads are not the best. I got a flat on the way back to the capital because of the roads. Some nice guy pulled over and lent a hand in changing the tire. He wouldn't accept any money either.

1 hour not a minute more, remember you are in DR and a good offense is better than defense when driving there. Better to pass some a$$ho%e before he can do something to make you hit him

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey BAdpiece! NOt bad advice....

As I came back from Sto Dgo last Sunday, this guy almost ran me off the road. Of course I said WTF??? and took a good look at the guy (his windows were down (90s era GM -Buick, Olds??) and saw that he was outta his skull drunk. I slowed down and watched him make some NASCAR-style passes, nearly doing a Kyle Busch on a couple of cars.

As we neared the toll booth in Pedro Brand, I told the kids that were with me, watch this, he is going to crash (and got way on the other side of the highway!)...Sure enough the guy crashed into the Jersey barriers separating the North/South lanes, about 500 meters from the toll Booths. Kept right on going after bouncing off the barrier.

When I went through the tolls, I told the military guy there that the guy was nuts or drunk and to do something.

About twenty minutes later, this guy goes whishing by!!! Still swerving all over the road....As we approached Bonao, the guy almost missed his turn-off and slid into the grass, but did not flip....after that who knows???

Interesting to say the least...

HB

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Came Boca Chica to Las Terrenas Monday just gone , no problems on road, two and half hours and I never go above 120KMs. You can get a coffee at the village where they are building the bridge but you have to ask. The one very sad thing for me coming from England is that they have started to put up those horrible advertising hoardings. I remember back in the 50ś a french lady telling me that in one way she was sorry the Germans had gone at least they freed the roads of advertising hoardings. I have complete empathy with her. Just how much benefit does the average peon from the villages passed get from these obscenities?

Came Boca Chica to Las Terrenas Monday just gone , no problems on road, two and half hours and I never go above 120KMs. You can get a coffee at the village where they are building the bridge but you have to ask. The one very sad thing for me coming from England is that they have started to put up those horrible advertising hoardings. I remember back in the 50ś a french lady telling me that in one way she was sorry the Germans had gone at least they freed the roads of advertising hoardings. I have complete empathy with her. Just how much benefit does the average peon from the villages passed get from these obscenities?

2 1/2 hours no way you must have stopped for lunch along the way or for pictures on side of road, done that road in just about an hour each time i have used it, yes I do drive a bit fast but still should be no more than 1 1/2 hours at most.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
The new road itself (toll booth to toll booth) (there are four) is just under an hour, people will drive it in 37 minutes and others will drive it in an hour and 14 minutes.

Las Terrenas - Downtown Santo Domingo you should figure 2h15m to 2 hours45m.
all depends on the traffic (on either end) and the time of day.

Last edited: