Super Good News

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
DR1 5 September 2008:
JD's first day on the job
Former Vice President, and now Environment Minister Jaime David Fernandez Mirabal assumed his post yesterday, 18 days after he was named to the position. Fernandez Mirabal refused to comment on the situation, which fueled rumors there was a rift between him and President Leonel Fernandez. President Fernandez was pleased with Fernandez Mirabal's decision. Yesterday, Fernandez Mirabal also seemed delighted by his new responsibility, one of the most difficult in government because of the many conflicts of interest. "I don't like it if someone takes something without telling me, but I also don't like people giving me things without telling me. But all of that is in the past and we are here to serve," he told the press.
"I have decided to take this responsiblity, I hope for the next eight years because in environment and natural resources areas, the results are not apparent immediately," he told the press.
Fernandez Mirabal explained to the current employees at the Ministry that they need not fear for their jobs, as substitutions will only be made where necessary.
The press had also speculated that Fernandez Mirabal could have negotiated with the President to be sure the ministry would be sufficiently funded so that he could successfully carry out the job.
Fernandez Mirabal was sworn to his post, together with ministers Bernabe Manon (forestry resources), Ernesto Reyna (environmental management), Eleuterio Martinez (protected areas and biodiversity), Manuel Serrano (land and waters), Dannerys Santana (coastal and marine resources), Ricardo Contreras (administrative), Martha Perez (environmental education), Rosa Urania Abreu, Air Force colonel Francisco Santos Tolentino (director of Environmental Police), and colonel Julio Cesar Rodriguez Burgos. Enrique Puigbert was sworn in as advisor to the President on marine matters, Jose Enrique Baez, will be director of Quisqueya Verde (bringing back Fernandez Mirabal's successful forestation program), Idalia Acevedo, is the new director of the National Aquarium and Virginia Heinsen, will be the director of the National Zoo. Former director David Arias was named forestry advisor to the President.

--

Fernandez Mirabal's acceptance of the post is super good news for the environment sector. This is not a person who will be pushed around, nor bought. The delay in his taking the job probably also means he wanted time to negotiate his terms with the President to ensure he was able to bring on his people, and have funds to carry out a good job. The return of Quisqueya Verde, one of the most successful forestation projects in Latin America and the Caribbean, and the appointment of Eleuterio Martinez in charge of protected areas mean the government could be ready to do a turn around and no longer be lax about environmental violations that affect sustainable development.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
If he's good for this position i am very happy for the country. This time around i noticed in the san jose de las matas area that it has become deforested.....i noticed the hills bare, and i was told that the Plan Sierra hasn't been doing any work in the past years. So I am very happy that something will be done in the area of forestation.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't know this is such good news. Don't get me wrong I think he's a great individual whom I would vote for if he ran for president, but the issue here is that it is apparent he did not want this job, so I don't see him dedicating a lot of time to it.

We need someone who has the track record and of course give him/her the necessary powers to hold off special interests.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not so sure. I do respect Domingo and Eleuterio and I also know Bernab?//// All are well versed in their fields.

As to whether he will do a good job or can be bought??? That is to be seen...Sorry, I am so skeptical.

AS for Plan Sierra working, it has been. It is not charged with the land around Sajoma. That is privately held and the owners do with it what they please. Neither you nor I can help it if they are idiots and cut down all the trees..

HB

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I don't know this is such good news...the issue here is that it is apparent he did not want this job...

That's the main issue and draws attention to the greater weirdness of Dominican politics - that someone can learn after the fact that they've been appointed to a significant cabinet position.

Forget about having the background and expertise one would expect from any serious candidate. Fernandez's PLD cronies are evidently so qualified and versatile that they're "plug-and-play."

Minister of commerce and industry one week and the head of education the next...and so on....and so on...

Can I get an Amen?

RHM

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
I am not so sure. I do respect Domingo and Eleuterio and I also know Bernab?//// All are well versed in their fields.

As to whether he will do a good job or can be bought??? That is to be seen...Sorry, I am so skeptical.

AS for Plan Sierra working, it has been. It is not charged with the land around Sajoma. That is privately held and the owners do with it what they please. Neither you nor I can help it if they are idiots and cut down all the trees..

HB

Can't they get in trouble with the forestas? I have always been told that permission and a long and expensive process is required for someone to be able to cut trees in their land.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Can't they get in trouble with the forestas? I have always been told that permission and a long and expensive process is required for someone to be able to cut trees in their land.

Yes that's why i made my comment, when the foresta was enforcing the law campesinos would get arrested or in trouble for cutting trees intheir own land or for clearing fields for crops (conucos).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That's the main issue and draws attention to the greater weirdness of Dominican politics - that someone can learn after the fact that they've been appointed to a significant cabinet position.

You can have an Amen AND a Hallelujah. I think he was trying to teach the President not to be so autocratic. Whom, in a large commercial enterprise would appoint someone to a significant head of department position without discussing it with them first? Poor management skills IMHO. And it didn't stop the in-fighting, the lining up for perks, the meat market so if that was the President's intention.....................didn't work, did it?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I 'think' that this was in DR1 News: "I don't like it when someone take something without me knowing it; I don't like it when someone gives me something and I don't know it." Or words to that effect.

I can see why people would be hopeful: The guy is a graduate of ISA and so are his buddies, Eluterio, Domingo and Bernab?...we call it the ISA Mafia....they do know their stuff. It remains to be seen IF they can produce the political will to carry out their stated policies.

As for cutting down trees? All you need (or needed?) was to know a high ranking military officer....trucks rumbled through Mao at all hours with new sawn tree trunks...

HB

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
Wow, I totally missed this news.

Can anyone explain the reason why Eleuterio was reappointed? I'm not cynical about the decision and the reasons for it, but as I am not in the DR, I want to know what the chat is about what is going on in the corridors of the good ole sub-secretaria de areas protegidas. Anyone know if there are any changes planned for any of the protected areas?

By the way, I think people might be a little out of date regarding environmental legislation - the blanket ban on cutting trees down, even on private property, was a Balaguer era law (from 1967) that was repealed during the first Leonel administration. Things are a bit more flexible now, but what is written in the law books and what happens on the ground are two very different things.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Sea Turtles Have Adopted A "Wait-And-See" Attitude!!!

See yesterday's DR1 News article about the Dom. Rep. being the first DRCAFTA country to be accused of violating the "GREEN" area of the treaty for not exploiting Sea Turtles!
"Wanna" buy a comb"????? Genuine "Tortise Shell" "Berry Berry Sheep"!!!!

"Been There, Heard That"! MAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNY Times Before!
"Max" sure did a great job!!!... "NOT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Wanna Buy Some Gravel"??????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC