Continental Airlines - $15 charge for 1st checked bag

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Continental Airlines Announces Fee for First Checked Bag on Domestic Flights
EliteAccess customers are exempt; OnePass program changes also announced

HOUSTON, Sept. 5 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced a $15 service fee for the first checked bag for certain customers who purchase economy-class tickets.

The service fee will not apply to EliteAccess customers, including those seated in First or BusinessFirst, OnePass Elite and SkyTeam Elite members, customers traveling on full-fare economy (Y) class tickets, or military personnel and their families traveling on official orders.

The policy will apply immediately for tickets purchased for destinations within the U.S., and between the U.S. and Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada for travel commencing on or after Oct. 7, 2008.

Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or will be subject to additional fees. Continental's policy for carry-on baggage remains unchanged.

For more details of Continental's baggage policies, go to continental.com.

SOURCE
Continental Airlines

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Cont.

I meant to include this in the original post:

"How long before airlines will start charging for 1st checked bag to any international destination?"

Jan 9, 2004
Spirit already charges....

I meant to include this in the original post:

"How long before airlines will start charging for 1st checked bag to any international destination?"

...for checked baggage on their international flights.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

drlady

Jul 1, 2008
Some already do to/from international destinations...like Spirit Airlines, which charges US$15 for the fist bag online and US$25 if you do it at the airport....Right now Jetblue charges US$20 and Continental $25 for the second bag.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
If I'm reading the policy on their website correctly the first bag fee will not apply for flights from the US to DR.

For trips wholly within the United States Canada Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands the $15 fee for the 1st bag will apply

If your itinerary isbetween the US Canada Puerto Rico and the USVI and Mexico the Caribbean Central America and South America (except Brazil) the first bag is free and the second bag is $25

For transatlantic/transpacific flights 2 bags are free.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
So currently for flights between the US and DR the airlines policies are AFAIK:

AA: 2 checked bags free
Delta: 2 checked bags free
Continental: 1 checked bag free and a second for $25
JetBlue: 1 checked bag free and a second for $20 (strict year round embargo on overweight or excess pieces over 2 on flights to the Dominican Republic)
US Airways: Charges for all checked bags
Spirit: Charges for all checked bags

bachatony1

Aug 8, 2008
What's next

Next they'll be charging us to read magazines on the flight...or use the bathroom...or to listen to the safety procedures!!

bachatony1

Aug 8, 2008
also...

My favorite is how they play movies on flights and charge you for a headset to hear the audio.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My favorite is how they play movies on flights and charge you for a headset to hear the audio.

Have you thought of bringing your own headphones from your iPOD?
At least you only have your own ear wax to worry about, not this mornings passenger's!

Reactions: Bronxboy

edm7583

May 29, 2007

why not?

Nobody should have to pay for meals they don't eat or want, baggage allowances they won't use, or for movies they won't watch. Just keep the prices low and pay only for what you need or want. Why should I have to subsidize antother passenger's needs in the cost of my ticket? The US airlines have no other option beacuse the cheap public will not buy tickets at fares that will actually let them make a profit. Few things amuse me more than when someone who pays $250 or less round trip for their ticket to the DR then carries on when they come to the shocking realization that they are not going to be treated like some kind of US royalty. Yout ticket covers transportation from points A to B. Like any other business in the world, if you need or want any extra services, pay for it. While some airlines are moving in this direction faster than others, they will all have to follow this model eventually, when even the largest airlines in the world will come to the reality that they have to either move toward the a la carte model, or go out of business, so get used to it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
why not?

Nobody should have to pay for meals they don't eat or want, baggage allowances they won't use, or for movies they won't watch. Just keep the prices low and pay only for what you need or want. Why should I have to subsidize antother passenger's needs in the cost of my ticket?....................so get used to it.

Not quite sure if I like what you are saying, but when I think about it you do have a valid point.

I flew Easy Jet Airlines in Spain last year and that is exactly how they operate. Easy Jet had the cheapest fare to where I needed to go. Little did I know why?

You purchase a ticket and that is what you get. No more, no less. Everything else is extra. You are not as much assigned a seat. The first to arrive at the airport, the first to board the plane. If you are traveling with someone and want to make sure you sit together you pay extra to be put in the first to board group. You are allowed one carry-on about the size of a large woman’s pocketbook, all other luggage you pay for. Water, sandwich, and newspaper you pay for on the plane. The only thing you did not pay extra for was the bathroom. The plane was clean, the flight was smooth, so I can’t complain.