US Citzen travel into DR with birth cert and State ID?

victorybell

Sep 6, 2008
US citzen enter DR with a Birth Cert. State ID AND get a Tourist card for 14 day

Please let me know if this could work with out a passport. There is a death in my family and this trip is last minute.

Thanks

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
victorybell, Celt202 and Lambada are correct. As of January 23, 2007:-

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document* to enter or re-enter the United States.

*Passport card.

See: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

See: http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/WHTI_final_rule_new.pdf

You can travel outside of the US WITHOUT a passport by sea or land until June 1, 2009. if you absolutely have to travel to DR without a paasport, you can. You'll have to fly to Puerto Rico and take Ferries del Caribe to the DR (about a 12 hours boat trip). You'll have to leave the DR the same way you arrived (Ferries del Caribe to PR) and enter the US using your birth certificate and a valid state issued ID (Driver's License). All things considered, I would not recommend or encourage this form of passport-less travel but in a pinch, it might prove useful to know this.

If you plan on staying in DR for a month or so, you could enter the DR via PR/Ferry and apply for your passport in the US Embassy in Santo Domingo. Again, I don't recommend this but if you have no other options, (in a pinch) this might prove useful.

NotLurking

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Victorybell,
The problem is not so much getting into DR, but in/out of the U.S. I'm not sure airlines will let you fly internationally these days without a passport.

I can't/don't guarantee this works, but take a look at http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html and for a city near you. These passport agencies offer expedited passports... I believe they all have 800#'s to call 7 days a week to schedule an appointment. If the automated system doesn't give you something quick, show up anyway. For me (11 yrs ago) I needed my airline ticket to prove travel date, birth certificate, 2 forms of ID, passport fotos, etc. Check the current requirements before you go!

No promises from me, but it's worth a try.
I was able to get a passport next day (granted this was 11 years ago).

A friend of mine with expired passport showed up at the NYC passport agency without an appointment, gave his story, and was issued a same day passport last December.

Best of luck with the process and sorry for your family's loss.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I think you could do it via Mexico or Canada. Go land to Mexico/Canada and fly from there. I don't know if leaving/entering Canada/Mexico by air necessitates a passport. I know Canadian citizens can fly to/from Canada to the Caribbean with the BC or alien resident card. Don't know if the same applies to US citizens flying to/from Canada. You would need to check with the airline, e.g. Air Canada.

Feb 7, 2007
National U.S.A. (US)
Embarkation Dominican Republic (DO)
Destination Canada (CA)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Canada (CA)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
for the period of intended stay.
- Expired passports issued to nationals of the U.S.A. are

accepted.
Passport Exemptions:

- Recommended proof of citizenship, issued to nationals of the

U.S.A., such as:
- - U.S. Birth Certificate; or

- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship; or

- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization.

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 6 months:
Minors:
- Minors who are nationals of the U.S.A.

For details, click here
- Parent(s) travelling with a child under 18 years are
strongly advised to For details, click here
Additional Information:

- Documents issued to nationals of U.S.A. that do not

incorporate a photograph, should be accompanied by
supporting government issued photo identification (e.g.

driver's licence).
Warning:
- Visitors not complying with entry requirements may be
refused admission into Canada and deported at carrier's
expense. For details, click here

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
You should CALL or better yet, stop by at your local passport office. In Florida we have been able to get an emergency expedited passport in less than 48 hours and that in the period when the new law came into effect and passport offices were swamped with request and had no passports. Your results may vary from State to State though.

I must ad that I was amazed to find out that all the way thru and after 2001 (9-11) Americans could indeed travel (back into the States) presenting only a non-identifying ID like a birth certificate. I did not know that until the new law canceling that possiblity came out. A birth certificate is NOTHING. I ordered multiple copies over the phone in yes, early 2001 for my kids! You would not want to guess how many non-nationals have entered the States on this scheme... incredible. So for anyone to hope that somehow, because of xyz special circumstance there may still be a possiblility... well, if there was, and I am sorry for the OP but I hope there isn't, it would raise questions of National security so big one could aswell have a special expedited service booth for all indocumented and those who have carry-on nukes ;) at every port of entry, so they'd can get in on the fast lane... HOV lane for terrorists?

In the country I came from initially, having a passport is something you do even if you don't plan to travel... ever. Sure, the US is a large country and offers enough land to visit, but yet, a passport is the ultimate ID and a key to the freedom of moving quite freely throughout the world, especially if one has been so priviledged to have been born in a country from which one is welcomed to enter almost any country without much hassle.
Short, get yer passport before you need one.

... J-D.