-Insuring a condo unit in DR ?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am starting this thread to share experience between owners of apartments, or condominium units, when it come to shop around for an insurance.

I am in the process of switching. I find my own insurance too expensive (800US$/year) for a small apartment, non-luxurious, 340m from the ocean, first-floor with a cement-roof (second-floor is cana roofed). This in in Las Terrenas. It never gets flooded, even when huge rains, and it also seems pretty much hurricane-proof (God willing !!!)

I am looking for a insurance that would cover only fire damage to third.

Some might not insure at all, but it is quite risky, as if a fire starts from one's apartment and burns the whole building, one won't be able to pay for it, hence such a type of policy as mentioned above.

-What is your experience, you DR1 reader, if you own an apartment/condo unit here in the Dominican Republic ?

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Another question would be:

-Can a condo unit have a different insurance than the other units of the condominium ? (ie. some apartments are insured with company X, while the others are insured with company Y)

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Yes..........

Another question would be:

-Can a condo unit have a different insurance than the other units of the condominium ? (ie. some apartments are insured with company X, while the others are insured with company Y)

......The "Condo Association", if they have one, usually would purchase a blanket policy for coverage on the building and liability........

Individual unit owners would purchase an individual policy which would cover the contents and inside improvements which can be with any company the owner wishes..........it does not have to be the same as any of the others.

.......It should be noted that many of the "individual unit" condo policies sold in the DR **DO NOT** include liability and you would need to obtain a separate policy for that............ (incidently, this is also the case with homeowner's insurance.............many DO NOT include liability coverage).......a coverage which many should consider since more and more liability cases are now being brought to the courts in the DR.........

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
......The "Condo Association", if they have one, usually would purchase a blanket policy for coverage on the building and liability........
Indeed, you are right, this is the case here...

Individual unit owners would purchase an individual policy which would cover the contents and inside improvements which can be with any company the owner wishes..........it does not have to be the same as any of the others.
-Can a condo unit owner get away with not insuring his good ?

.......It should be noted that many of the "individual unit" condo policies sold in the DR **DO NOT** include liability and you would need to obtain a separate policy for that............ (incidently, this is also the case with homeowner's insurance.............many DO NOT include liability coverage).......a coverage which many should consider since more and more liability cases are now being brought to the courts in the DR.........
Excuse my bad English, but by liability, do you mean damage to third (ie. a fire starts in my apartment and burns the rest of the building...) ?

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Are there any specific companies that people would recommend? I've been told that insurance in DR is "not worth it" because the companies "don't pay out", would others agree? Also, does anyone have a rough idea as to how much each (or any) of the following would cost?

Ideally, if anyone is able to recommend or give advise...

1. Who/how to insure the entire condo project (structure cover for earthquake etc?)

2. Individual unit (fire & theft)

3. "Public liability" (so a coconut falling on someone's head and they sue the condo project or someone slips inside the apartment and sues the owner?)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Our Asso. has 12 units. We have 100% coverage for earthquake and fire. It also covers Liability, but I don't remember the amount of that coverage. It costs a little over $200US a year, per unit. Hope this helps. We're in Caberete. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I'd try a broker for UNIVERSAL or La Colonial...They seem to be the sturdiest...

HB

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Thanks for the replies folks. Home owners meeting today and 'public liability' is something that I want to discuss, as well as general liabilities.