Still no power

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I know friends in Cabarete have had no power all day today. Our power in our area of Sosua went off at 3pm, before any rain or lashes from Ike, its now 10.22pm and still no power, the area around us is completely black as more folk either preserve their invertor power or theyve lost it. Any other areas experiencing the same lengthy power cuts?:ermm:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
The same

A friend in Cabarete managed to speak to Edenorte yesterday and they said they were working on it, it would be restored soon and that was at about 3pm. I just hope the inverter holds out, how much longer do you think it will last with 8 new trojan batteries, it is a 2.5, Im keeping only the fridge/freezer, 2 TV and laptop on.????? I had ordered a new 5K inverter which was supposed to arrive on Friday and didnt. Was that wise or should I have just ordered 4 more batteries?

Still no power here in Sosua, does anyone have any update on this please? although I think it is a waste of time asking Edenutty. :paranoid:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Edennorth does work Sundays as they came to fix our problem two sundays ago so give them a call and follow up.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
So when the new larger invertor arrives I shouldnt add 4 new batteries? I appreciate your advice as always. Ive read so many conflicting stories that its better to have a bigger inverter and others that say a smaller one will do but with more batteries. >>>???? which is the best and correct solution??

If they had kept their Dominican promise on the delivery of the new inverter, I would have been all set for power cuts such as now.

track

Sep 6, 2008
A bigger inverter will consume more internal power. It was not a wise idea to change the inverter unless you will plug more equipment to it.

About the batteries, if you have more than 3 month with the current battery bank then don't mix the old batteries with the new one. If you do, you will risk damaging the old and the new. Worst case would be to have different battery brand and capacity.

About the EdeNorte problem, CDEEE was doing some repair in the "Very High" Voltage line, 69KV.
Downtown Cabarete is a 24 hour circuit and yes if you have no power it's because the grid has problems.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
So my best solution would be to buy a 3.5K inverter and change the eight trojan batteries (they are 2 months old) to that inverter and keep the 2.5K inverter and buy 4 batteries for that as a back up?? or have them both connected?? to work side by side????? is that right. At present the 2.5 cuts out sometimes and the electrician says its overloaded. I dont have everything connected to it. Here is what I have, but not all used with the inverter.

2 TV, 1 playstation, 1 laptop, Fridge/freezer, water pump, well pump and a couple of lights and 2 fans and 1 ac unit, (those I need connected to the inverter). Pool pump and spa pump, and 3 other ac units not important to be connected. I am in real trouble today as I have the flu and a high fever and the old angina has really kicked in, I think because of my temperature, so it is affecting me so its important I get it sorted urgently. Your advice is great WG and Track and I really appreciate it. They are supposed to be delivering the new inverter tomorrow so I need to know whether to get the 5K or just a 3.5K and / or extra batteries.

Thanks

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
glad your power is back on LB...but here are a couple of simple, maybe obvious suggestions for the next time....

1. You can unplug your fridge for several hours and everything will stay cold and frozen, especially if you dont open the door...this may dramatically increase the time you get out of your inverter.

2. Make sure your hot water heater is off/unplugged.

3. switch off any breakers you don't need and/or unplug any and everything your not using...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
glad your power is back on LB...but here are a couple of simple, maybe obvious suggestions for the next time....

1. You can unplug your fridge for several hours and everything will stay cold and frozen, especially if you dont open the door...this may dramatically increase the time you get out of your inverter.

2. Make sure your hot water heater is off/unplugged.

3. switch off any breakers you don't need and/or unplug any and everything your not using...

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
thanks David Ill remember that especialy about the water heaters. Dont know about touching the breakers tho dont know enough about that. Tomorrow new bigger inverter for sure, especially because of the well pump and new batteries. But my little inverter 2.5 with the 8 new trojan certainly kept going for nearly 24 hours. Ive just heard other areas still dont have power even tho our area is back on now.

Last edited:

track

Sep 6, 2008
LB,

This is my personal idea of what you should do.

Install two inverters.
Why?
You have water pumps from the well and for the pool. They surge high currents and that could make the light flick a bit when they start.
Install the heavy loads in the 5KW inverter, Like the refrigirator, and pumps.
If the battery don't last on that unit then you have redundant power for the rest of the house.

Like DavidZ said, the refrigerator will not kill you if it has no power for a few hours.
My system is sized for 3 days with out power, using all electrical units.

Sounds like you are not living on a budget, and that's important for the following advice.
If you would of start over, I would Install 2 OutBack power inverters, https://www.outbackpower.com model FX3524, they are pure sine wave inverters and the fans will not make any noise. The AC and refrigerator will like that type of power. You can stack 10 of them in parallel to get 35 Kilo Watts.
About the batteries, get 12 rolls battery, model 2 YS 31PS, order them from the states or Canada ( They are made in Canada ), they are a bit more expensive but they have 10 years warranty. They are 2 volts battery, 3400 amps, and if one fails you can change it and have less problems. ( 12 battery will form one chain of 24 volts ).
The investment could cost about $15K USA.

S

sokitoumi

it could possibly be due to the wind.....you wont be telling us EVERY time it goes off will you lol

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
got juice!

only problem is that 145 volts are coming in for each line. OUCH!!!!

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
unless you have a voltage regulator I would recommend to switch off your sensitive electronic equipment before it fries.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
We have all protection for our equipment thanks. But the power supply is irratic. on for an hour or two then off again. They seem to be giving us the juice just to recharge the batteries and then turning it off again.