Calling DR from Canada

thebatch

Sep 1, 2008
Good morning everyone

Wondering if i could get some advice for the cheapest way to place phone calls to the DR. I would be calling everyday to my friend. Currently have Vonage but it's cost me big money every month.

Thanks

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
i use startech
its located out of vancouver but serves canada
it is 9 cents a minute
if you are interested i can get a discount if you quote my name as
i referred you
it is very good
i was paying 17 cents a minute with bell
ive cut my costs dramatically using star tech

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I use Cici international calling cards- you can purchase them at most convenience stores. To call a Dominican cell phone it is almost 17 cents/minute, but if you are calling a landline I believe it's a little bit cheaper... however, 9 cents/minute sounds like a much better deal! Vintage, do you have to sign up for their phone landline? or do they have a calling card type thing for calling internationally??!

Thanks,

Laura

thebatch

Sep 1, 2008
Wow!

I bought a phone line with vonage with a 519 area code so i could call my Dominican girlfriend in Turks islands but with Hanna and the fact she evacuated for Ike i am now calling her in the DR, i didn't realize what i was paying with vonage lnternational calls at 41 cents a minute...just about died when i saw my bill. Skype is it better to any idea what it costs?

thebatch

Sep 1, 2008
Sorry could you please giver me the details for startech, i checked the web but it seems it is a hardware supplier.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I am in saskatchewan and sasktel is 6 cents a minute....before that I was with rogers wireless for 17 cents

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
To call DR using skype it is 9 cents/minute to call a landline and to call a cell phone is 17 cents/minute, however, if your gf is online on skype, you two can both talk on skype for free, as it is free between skype accounts.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
hi everyone
startech is a cheaper by far

i called startec and they just changed my long distance provider
on my home phone

but i use my bell phone for other calls,bell no longer charges me for long distance
the long distance is billed by startec
they didnt charge me extra to hook it up

here is the info

telephone number
1-800-208-3025

startec canada
please tell them i referred you

charlene kurbejovic
5040 fallingbrook drive
mississauga
l5v1y9
905-858-9580

my bills used to be over 1000 dollars
with startech now they may be 200 dollars and i call at least three times per day to my husband

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
startec customer service is
1-877-882-1111

Refresh

please if you order say i referred you
i will receive a discount
and you can receive a discount too if you refer people

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
i just checked the site and u neeed to clik on canada at the top
i pay 9,95 cents a minute but it looks like they raised it to 11.5
thats still dirt cheap

around 6 dollars for an hour of talk time

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
calling cards
cc is very exspensive

try
jackpot
for ten dollars you get 186 minutes of talk time to
a land line

to a cell phone 86 minutes

or carribean queen for ten dollars you get 151 minutes to a cell phone

also maximum carribean is 1 hour talk time for 10 dollars

i prefer the carribean queen card or the jackpot they are the best

Diavola84

Aug 3, 2007
Can you use any of these on a cell phone?

ie/ cell phone to cell phone instead of landline to cell phone

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I use Skype to call the D.R. When calling to another skype pc it is free but if you are calling a land line using Skype, the cost is .024 cents per minute. I would say it is a lot cheaper than any long distance plan. Check it out. It will be cheaper than any long distance package.

Alicat

Dec 8, 2008
can you please explain how skype works when calling the dr? what do you need on your computer (i.e. microphone or something?). you have to have a headset? thank you!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i dont know where you're calling from but i use the call world card from 7-11. it gives me 640+ minues for $20 CDN (approx. 3 cents a minute!) with no connection fee. the only thing is that i only get that rate when i call a 829 number. for some reason it costs 4 times as much to call an 809 number :(

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007

In the region of Ottawa, I use the calling card 'Latino Loco' and get about 33 minutes with 2,50$! It's about 7 cents per minute.. Pretty good when it's a card of less than 10$

Alicat

Dec 8, 2008
hi sascha,
i am calling from toronto to an 829 number. where do you buy that call world card? thank you!