Post Thanks / Like

Default A question about "Luto"

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    All of the above, and one more that I've heard is el cole (el colegio).

I recently suggested one on death-related vocabulary - terms like

dar el pésame - to give condolences
    morir - to die
    fallecer - to pass away
    el ataúd, la caja de muertos = coffin, casket
    la funeraria - funeral home
    el velorio - wake
    el cementerio - cemetery
    el entierro - burial
    enterrar - to bury
    la misa - mass
    el luto - mourning

Any more? Some suggestions for the sort of things one should say when giving condolences, perhaps?

I was hoping someone could explain something to me. I think when someone dies the family goes through a sort of luto i think for 9 days. Can anyone clarify this for me.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlatinoNProud View Post
    I was hoping someone could explain something to me. I think when someone dies the family goes through a sort of luto i think for 9 days. Can anyone clarify this for me.
    It's called "Los 9 dias" and it's basically nine days of praying (every day) culminating with one big all day (almost) praying session on the ninth day. Luto means mourning and the people in mourning are not supposed to dance, sing, listen to music, dress with any color other than black, white and maybe blue, etc...Depending on the person who died you are supposed to be in mourning for a long time (i.e. a husband or mother you should be for years).

This attitude is changing a lot though and nowadays people are only in mourning for a few months at most (maybe a year for a mother).