A question about "Luto"

BlatinoNProud

Sep 7, 2008
All of the above, and one more that I've heard is el cole (el colegio).

I recently suggested one on death-related vocabulary - terms like

dar el p?same - to give condolences
morir - to die
fallecer - to pass away
el ata?d, la caja de muertos = coffin, casket
la funeraria - funeral home
el velorio - wake
el cementerio - cemetery
el entierro - burial
enterrar - to bury
la misa - mass
el luto - mourning

Any more? Some suggestions for the sort of things one should say when giving condolences, perhaps?

I was hoping someone could explain something to me. I think when someone dies the family goes through a sort of luto i think for 9 days. Can anyone clarify this for me.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I was hoping someone could explain something to me. I think when someone dies the family goes through a sort of luto i think for 9 days. Can anyone clarify this for me.

It's called "Los 9 dias" and it's basically nine days of praying (every day) culminating with one big all day (almost) praying session on the ninth day. Luto means mourning and the people in mourning are not supposed to dance, sing, listen to music, dress with any color other than black, white and maybe blue, etc...Depending on the person who died you are supposed to be in mourning for a long time (i.e. a husband or mother you should be for years).

This attitude is changing a lot though and nowadays people are only in mourning for a few months at most (maybe a year for a mother).