advice on malaria tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

markyc

Mar 15, 2008
hi

i am travelling to Dominican Republic and looking for advice on Malaria tablets i have heard that you take them a week before you go every day while you are there and on return

i have just been to my local chemist they sell some taht you only take 2 tablets a week has anyone heard or had these

thanks
Mark c

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Research on the Internet and then talk to your doctor, and make your decision to take or not to take. Malaria is a tropical disease that is not usually handled in the US. Same thing as asking a Dominican doctor about Lyme disease.

I have a trip to Kruger Park in Africa and I have decided not to take the prophylaxis because of the secondary effects, such as depression. I will be very careful to use repellent and wear socks and long sleeves, may go to the extreme of wearing gloves, but my own decision is against taking the prophylaxis. From what I read, the prophylaxis cannot avoid you getting the disease. I feel what is important is to be aware that one can get it, so in case of developing any symptoms do a malaria blood test asap. From what I read, many people who take the prophylaxis fail to do the blood test, thinking they will not catch the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.