Water Bill From Past Owner

ace

Apr 11, 2004
The water company showed up at my complex today looking for 13,000 pesos for a water bill from the previous owner. I bought the condo in Jan 2006. They say the bill is from September 2005. They expect me to pay it since I'm the new owner and if I don't they will take my property. I'll be contacting my lawyer in the morning to see if he's able to contact the last owner. I'm in the U.S. and am traveling to the DR next week anyhow for vacation.

Has anyone had this type of issue before ? Why are they waiting 3 years to collect ? I don't even have a water hook up from them. My water supply comes from the general water supply in the complex.I'm told at one point the previous owner diid have water supply from them but when I bought the property the water supply came from the complex which I pay for in my maintenance each month.Our maintenance worker turns the water supply on every day for a few hours, everyones tank fills up for the day then he cuts it off.

If I have to pay this to get them off my back will they work with me . I'm sure most of the fee is late charges that have added up over the years.

Thank you

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
You should go back to the lawyer that handled your purchase when you first bought your property. He is responsible to check that their are no outstanding debts on the property before closure. You say you are in the US and they turned up at your complex?? so this is not a property in the DR? If that is the case why are you asking these questions from a site in the DR?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You say you are in the US and they turned up at your complex?? so this is not a property in the DR? If that is the case why are you asking these questions from a site in the DR?
Most likely because he has a SECOND property In the Dominican Republic which is for investment purposes.

You should go back to the lawyer that handled your purchase when you first bought your property. He is responsible to check that their are no outstanding debts on the property before closure.
True on both counts but regrettably one does not have recourse to the lawyer for not doing his job correctly - it is The BUYERS responsibility to make sure all bills are paid before signing & unless the lawyer signed to the effect that HE would be responsible for any outstanding bills he missed, the buyer will have to enter into negotiations with the water company (or any other creditor).

Yes ace - this IS fairly common. I wouldn't take it 'As Read' that you have to pay the bill, there are sometimes ways round such demands, but IF your lawyer is not prepared to 'play ball' on this cock up by him, then go see the water company with firmness but humility & desire 'to get things sorted' & I am sure you will get received in a similar manner.

Put my mind at rest please - you didn't use the same lawyer as the sellers when you bought this property did you? Quite a lot of people do & it really is not a good idea to try & cut corners when doing a purchase of property in the DR. Caveat Emptor as they say!! ~ Grahame.