My Inverter & Batteries

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
A little over 2 years ago when I bought my house in Los Lliberes we were on the same Edenorte circuit as Sosua Abajo, scheduled for 2 - 5 hour outages a day with other numerous shorter outages. Documento sin t?tulo I wanted to be able to run everything, refrigerator, 2 water coolers, 220 volt water pump, 40 gallon 220 volt 4500 watt water heater, fans, lights etc. I installed a 7.2 kw 220 volt inverter with 16 batteries. Some people say you can't have 3 or 4 banks of batteries. This is how they're wired.
ScreenShot009.jpg

Electricity wants to take the shortest route so it's important to have the wires between the banks the same wire size and length.
Last week I wanted to know what condition my 2 year old batteries were in so I did a load test. I shut the charger off and let the batteries rest for one hour then read the voltage. All 16 batteries read 6.2 volts. I then applied a 5KW load to the inverter ( 4500 watt water heater and a few lights ). When the water heater shut off 40 minutes later 11 batteries read 6 volts and 5 read 5.9. This tells me that all 4 banks are charging and drawing down equally and they're in good condition.

I also add EDTA once a year.

Reactions: CyaBye3015

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
Inverter

very nice, which inverter?

Easy Power 7.2 kw 220 volt.

I've also had people ask me " Why 16 batteries? " Most 6 volt battery manufacturers and Trace state that their batteries are good for approximately 350 deep cycles. I used the following chart.

battery.jpg

If your discharging 4 batteries 100% for 350 cycles and install 4 more on the same Length of outage they should only discharge 50% and the cycle life increases to 1000. With 16 batteries the depth of discharge should only be 25% increasing the cycle life to 2000.
I'll let you know how the batteries are 2 years from now.
Last December a DDD ( Definitely Drunk Dominican ) hit a power pole near us, we were without power for 36 hours and still had battery power to spare.

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Easy Power 7.2 kw 220 volt.

I've also had people ask me " Why 16 batteries? " Most 6 volt battery manufacturers and Trace state that their batteries are good for approximately 350 deep cycles. I used the following chart.

battery.jpg

If your discharging 4 batteries 100% for 350 cycles and install 4 more on the same Length of outage they should only discharge 50% and the cycle life increases to 1000. With 16 batteries the depth of discharge should only be 25% increasing the cycle life to 2000.
I'll let you know how the batteries are 2 years from now.
Last December a DDD ( Definitely Drunk Dominican ) hit a power pole near us, we were without power for 36 hours and still had battery power to spare.

El V,

I am going to follow your great advice and buy the second inverter for use with the water pump and well pump only. Just one question, is it true it is not good to have many batteries hooked up to one inverter, because if one goes down it will affect the others?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Two Inverters

I must have missed the reason for having two inverters and how this relates to the water pump. Can someone explain the pros and cons.

BTW.. Great OP.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I must have missed the reason for having two inverters and how this relates to the water pump. Can someone explain the pros and cons.

BTW.. Great OP.

Luperon;

If you have TWO Inverters andkeep them isolated on their individual charging /discharge circuits, you can have them dedicated to different house circuits/usage.
While that arrangement is expensive, it still makes sense to me.

Texas Bill

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
????????

El V,

I am going to follow your great advice and buy the second inverter for use with the water pump and well pump only. Just one question, is it true it is not good to have many batteries hooked up to one inverter, because if one goes down it will affect the others?

I must have been drunk, I don't recall giving any advise about a second inverter.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Luperon;

If you have TWO Inverters andkeep them isolated on their individual charging /discharge circuits, you can have them dedicated to different house circuits/usage.
While that arrangement is expensive, it still makes sense to me.

Texas Bill

Thank you. Do most Gringos living in the DR have two inverters? Sounds like a good idea.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thank you. Do most Gringos living in the DR have two inverters? Sounds like a good idea.

Nope. In fact, you will find it's VERY rare for someone to do this.
Why would you, you don't need to. The only time I have seen this is when someone uses 2 x 110V inverters and series stacks them. This way they get 220 and 110v out.

Just make sure what ever inverter you install can handle your load requirements. That's exactly what El Viejo did and what most of us do that have inverter setups do.

Sep 19, 2005
El Viejo: what kind of amps do you have coming in off the street?

also do you have 220 coming in???

I was thinking my ex gfs parents only had 110V cominginto their house..

but it was one of those lines passed from house to house in the campo....

Since i dont know too much about electricity expect to let other play with it when ever I can !!

how do you build the 220V from the batteries?

use 2 seperate 110v lines from the fuse panels and a ground???

I know a GFI would not work in my gfs house , because the house was not grounded best i could figure...

I even ran a ground out into the yard to a copper rod driven into the ground.. and the GFI would trip instantly...

they didnt even know I was trying to help! ha ha

bad bad bob

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
El Viejo: what kind of amps do you have coming in off the street?

also do you have 220 coming in???

but it was one of those lines passed from house to house in the campo....

Since i dont know too much about electricity expect to let other play with it when ever I can !!

how do you build the 220V from the batteries?

use 2 seperate 110v lines from the fuse panels and a ground???

I know a GFI would not work in my gfs house , because the house was not grounded best i could figure...

I even ran a ground out into the yard to a copper rod driven into the ground.. and the GFI would trip instantly...

they didn't even know I was trying to help! ha ha

bad bad bob

Bob, I have 220 volt service (110v +110v ) from Edenorte coming into a 60 amp main breaker.My inverter is 220v (110v + 110v ) input and output.
I couldn't even think about installing a GFI. I have a constant 1 1/2 to 3 volt reading on the ground that I haven't been able to find the source of.
Rick

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not to hijack the thread, but...

bad bad bob

What? Did you guys break up? Just curiousity...

I've had the worst luck when it comes to inverters and batteries. Have spent so much money on this and still have no really reliable system. My system is a 3.2 kilos Inverter with 8 batteries (originally). Those batteries died in less than two years, so I bought 4 more and now (after again less than two years) they are also messed up. Not to mention the many times I've had to have technicians look at the stupid inverter. I really wish there was an alternative to the inverter.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sure, I got mine at Americana, and if I remember correctly, it was about $100 dollars.

Cabela's -- Vector Portable Battery Charger

This is the one I bought at Americana, but you could always order it from the states..

Oh wow...I had no idea what you were talking about, but I happen to have one of these. I carry it in my car in case of an emergency. So these chargers are supposed to also recondition you battery? Learn something new every day.

I may just buy one down there though as they are pretty heavy to take with you.

Sep 19, 2005
you the devil is in the details many times when it comes to electricty.

if you take a look at the OP note.. about the cables from each battery to the next HAVE to be equal!!

I am sure many would just think..."hey as long as i got them hooked up they get power...

but they wouldnt realize the short wired battery would get the load.....

so who thinks the dominicans take the time to accurately measure out the wire lengths after the ends have terminals on them to make sure they are equal??

not many i guess..

little details.....

plus good clean connections at each battery.....

bad bob