Is this true about McCain or just propaganda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...rces-invaded-Dominican-Republic-Nacional-says

McCain?s father led U.S. forces invaded Dominican Republic, Nacional says

Print Email Bookmark Save to my profile 151 Comments - last on Jul 12 at 7:44 PM

Close Gallery
The U.S. forces command post at the hotel El Embajador.
Zoom Picture SANTO DOMINGO.- Rear admiral John Sydney McCain II, father of Republican Party presumptive presidential candidate John McCain, commanded the U.S. occupation forces that invaded Santo Domingo April, 28, 1965, to prevent the victory of colonel Francisco Alberto Caama?o?s constitutionalist forces, said newspaper Nacional.

The revelation is from former Cuban president Fidel Castro published Friday morning in the official newspaper Granma.

In the article Castro said he knew Caama?o, who he defined as a ?great hero? who always trusted Cuba.

Thousands of U.S. soldiers disembarked in Dominican Republic April 28, 1965, to ostensibly protect its interests here, but the intervention squashed the constitutionalist rebels? effort to return president Juan Bosch to office, ousted in a coup September 25, 1963.

The U.S. magazine ?Reason? in an article published this week also confirms McCain senior?s participation in the invasion of Dominican Republic, and notes that he defended the occupation saying that: ?Perhaps people don?t like the strong when they?re taught to behave.?

Reactions: Berzin

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This one isn't new...........

Accoring to a piece in the UK Independent last January:

'Then McCain's father, John, led the US invasion of the Dominican Republic in 1965, at a time when there was a conflict on the Caribbean island. On one side, there were forces loyal to Juan Bosch, the democratically elected left-wing President who was committed to land redistribution and helping the poor. On the other side, there were forces who had overthrown the elected government and looked nostalgically to the playboy tyranny of Rafael Trujillo. John McCain Snr intervened to ensure the supporters of the democratic government were crushed, bragging that it taught the natives "how to behave themselves". He saw this as part of a wider mission, where the US would take over Britain's role as a "world empire".'

Johann Hari: Don't be fooled by the myth of John McCain - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

While you're at it, simpson Homer, look into the grandfather & differences between official & unofficial story ;):
The Three Stooges go to Washington: Part 1

Reactions: ben jammin

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Accoring to a piece in the UK Independent last January:

'Then McCain's father, John, led the US invasion of the Dominican Republic in 1965, at a time when there was a conflict on the Caribbean island. On one side, there were forces loyal to Juan Bosch, the democratically elected left-wing President who was committed to land redistribution and helping the poor. On the other side, there were forces who had overthrown the elected government and looked nostalgically to the playboy tyranny of Rafael Trujillo. John McCain Snr intervened to ensure the supporters of the democratic government were crushed, bragging that it taught the natives "how to behave themselves". He saw this as part of a wider mission, where the US would take over Britain's role as a "world empire".'
Very interesting. Thanks.

Lambada said:
Johann Hari: Don't be fooled by the myth of John McCain - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

While you're at it, simpson Homer, look into the grandfather & differences between official & unofficial story ;):
Please explain how these two links are DR related.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Not sure that article quite holds up to your usual standards of journalistic excellence. Though from a tabloid perspective it sure is amusing.

'In essence, Prince Albert Edward/King Edward VII had sent his illegitimate son, "John McCann," to infiltrate the U.S. Navy, through his own bloodline, so that a descendant could be cultivated, over several generations, to one day become president of the United States.'

So.. using the same leaps of logic from that article I can safely conclude that you're intimating that the U.S. public is left to choose between either a puppet of the Muslim (Obama) or British (McCain) communities - the seeds of which were intentionally planted 3 generations ago for this sole purpose? :surprised Moderator, move this one to the clown bin please.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
John McCain senior as a military commander would be carrying out US Goverment policy, not his own personal decisions. This is no reflection on how his son would perceive or deal with the DR should he become president, indeed it may give him a greater understanding of Latin America than Obama who thinks Canada has a president and Mexico has a prime minister.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The story stinks to high heaven. First of all look at the picture carefully and you will see the name on the soldiers uniform is PALMER. I did a little digging and the commander of the invading forces was a General Bruce Palmer Jr with the title of commander of Task Force 120 and United States Land Forces in the Dominican Republic. Dominican Today has proven again they lack serious journalism.

Go here Power Pack.....then scroll down to the 27th picture on the right. That is the commander of the the American forces General Bruce Palmer Jr not McCain's father.

One of his more visible pre-Vietnam assignments came in 1965 when he commanded more than 20,000 U.S. troops sent to quell strife in the Dominican Republic between the military junta and rebel forces.

Bruce Palmer, Jr., General, United States Army

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not sure that article quite holds up to your usual standards of journalistic excellence. Though from a tabloid perspective it sure is amusing.

I thought you'd like that one, CFA :cheeky:

My answer to simpson Homer & his Dominican Today piece was 'This one isn't new...........' i.e. the story has been around before Dominican Today got hold of it. DT 4 July 2008 says 'The revelation is from former Cuban president Fidel Castro published Friday morning in the official newspaper Granma'.
Yet the story in the Independent, quoted above, appeared in January 2008. Similarly the story also ran in Democracy Now in February 2008
Democracy Now! | "The Myth of a Maverick": Matt Welch on GOP Frontrunner John McCain

And again in Reason Now in April 2007
Be Afraid of President McCain: The frightening mind of an authoritarian maverick - Reason Magazine

So if anything Fidel is a bit late with the breaking news............;)

So.. using the same leaps of logic from that article I can safely conclude that you're intimating that the U.S. public is left to choose between either a puppet of the Muslim (Obama) or British (McCain) communities - the seeds of which were intentionally planted 3 generations ago for this sole purpose?

I don't believe you can safely conclude 'I'm' intimating anything. Did I say whether I believe the story or not? I don't believe I passed a judgement one way or the other. Certainly General Palmer looks nothing like Admiral John Sydney McCain, Jr. Certainly there should be documented records of who led the invasion of Army & Marines as A.Hidalgo has shown. Certainly DT do not have a stellar record.

But.................is it just possible that as well as the invasion, the US Navy was patrolling Santo Domingo waters during 1965? Could McCain's father have been part of this? I will keep an open mind until I see more research. Albeit keeping an open mind would appear to be a somewhat isolated location. :cheeky:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Lambada,
I don't have any reason to doubt McCain's father was part of a campaign in DR. And assuming he was, I'm not sure of the significance to anything. Soldiers for the most part are following their orders, not making policy.

It was your link to the article on his ancestry which through rather convoluted logic arrived at making his presidential bid the result of an intentional effort by a British King three generations ago placing his bastard child in the U.S. for just that reason... well.

Anyhow, always open-minded enough to read your links. ;)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...rces-invaded-Dominican-Republic-Nacional-says

The revelation is from former Cuban president Fidel Castro published Friday morning in the official newspaper Granma.

I believe this is the article from the bearded one were he makes his assertion.

The historical truth tells us that John McCain?s father commandeered the amphibious attack, the invasion and occupation of the Dominican Republic in 1965 against the nationalist forces led by Francisco Caama?o, another great hero of that nation whom I knew very well and who always had confidence in Cuba.

granma.cu - The true story and the challenge of the Cuban journalists

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
John McCain senior as a military commander would be carrying out US Goverment policy, not his own personal decisions. This is no reflection on how his son would perceive or deal with the DR should he become president, indeed it may give him a greater understanding of Latin America than Obama who thinks Canada has a president and Mexico has a prime minister.

Right on!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Mar 2, 2008
Fidel may be trying to use the information as a propaganda tool, but from everything I have read regarding Senator McCain's father, he was the commander of US forces in the Dominican Republic in 1965.

That is not necessarily a bad thing, nor necessarily a good thong, depending upon what his contributions were, and by some accounts his contributions were substantial. However, to disregard an established historical fact simply because it is repeated by Fidel Castro is absurd.

Apart from that, and just to satisfy my curiousity; Bob Saunders, could you please inform me about the source of your information regarding Obama's belief that Canada is governed by a president and Mexico by a prime minister. That sounds a little strange to me, as he is generally credited for having a strong command of international politics, even by his political adversaries.

Right on.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Apart from that, and just to satisfy my curiousity; Bob Saunders, could you please inform me about the source of your information regarding Obama's belief that Canada is governed by a president and Mexico by a prime minister. That sounds a little strange to me, as he is generally credited for having a strong command of international politics, even by his political adversaries.

Right on.
Maybe it was while he was traveling among the 57 states he spoke about...;)

Mar 2, 2008
That was Heinz wasn't it? Where does all this disinformation come from? Surely not from these usually intelligent and thoughtful people on this board.

Come on, I'm about as independent minded as you can get, but there standards one should apply to any argument, not just cut and paste some right-wing or left-wing rant page.

Why does this type of fanatic rhetoric always take the place of open and honest debate during election time? In my opinion it really diminishes debate on the real issues.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We don't do USA politics on this site and this is the direction some people are taking this thread, so it's closed.

Good job guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.