Common law spouse

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
Any outhouse lawers out there that know of laws concerning common law spouses in the DR. I plan to file for a spouse visa if I meet the qualifications of the DR law for common law spouses.
Answer here but please PM me if you have answers (NOT BS) as I don't get to a internet cafe often, maybe once a month.
joe

Last edited by a moderator:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Mr. Guzman can talk more about this, but my understanding is The DR actually does recognize this...As a matter of fact if you live together with a girl for several years (I think it's seven) don't think you can just leaver her and she won't get any of your money...She's entitled to 1/2 or at least a good amount.

Now I would doubt that you could use that to petition for someone to countries like USA, Canada, etc...as if this was the case tons of people would be using this method. I would think you probably have to do a fianc?e petition which means getting married in The US or whatever country you're going to petition to bring her to.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I've opened this thread again and I'm moving it to legal.

This is what the OP has sent me;

The US visa requirements for a spouse visa states that a common law spouse is legal if it is legal in the country of that spouse (DR). That begged the question, do common law spouses have a legal status in the DR.
Please reopen the forum with this clearification.
Joe

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Mr. Guzman can talk more about this, but my understanding is The DR actually does recognize this...As a matter of fact if you live together with a girl for several years (I think it's seven) don't think you can just leaver her and she won't get any of your money...She's entitled to 1/2 or at least a good amount.

I'm not Mr. Guzman but I can tell you that the Dominican Republic does NOT as of yet have any laws on the books that recognizes 'common law marriages'. However, current legal thinking (jurisprudence) is that 'concubines' should have legal recognition and rights under the law. In fact, the Supreme Court in 2001 rendered an opinion that recognized concubines in a 'common law marriage' situation as an institution. Today, about 7 years after that landmark Supreme Court case, there is legislation in congress but common law marriage is still without legal status in Dominican Republic.

NotLurking