How Do Expats Purchase American Products in DR?

rey

Jan 2, 2007
QUESTION for expats or anyone who knows how can you get american products to DR? Per example there are articles of food,clothes,medicine,electronics,etc.. that are only sold in the United States;So how can one purchase an item that is only sold in the USA while not living DR?

PS...I thought the answer was the INTERNET but i find it hard to believe that American Companies will deliver to a third world country where there isnt even a Post Mail System thats Reliable.

THANKS

"SPECIAL FORCES LEAD THE WAY"
HOOOOAH

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i use EPS, goodies get delivered to FL then they are shipped to DR. easy.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
PS...I thought the answer was the INTERNET but i find it hard to believe that American Companies will deliver to a third world country where there isnt even a Post Mail System thats Reliable.

THANKS

The Dominican Postal Service has improved alot in recent years. I get Dominican magazines and other documents directly mailed from the DR to the US via the Dominican Postal Service and so far, the mail has been delivered with no tampering or mishandling of any kind. Sometimes it arrives a week or two late, but that it arrives, it arrives.

And, American companies DO in fact deliver to and from the DR.

INPOSDOM

-NALs

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The Dominican Postal Service has improved alot in recent years. I get Dominican magazines and other documents directly mailed from the DR to the US via the Dominican Postal Service and so far, the mail has been delivered with no tampering or mishandling of any kind. Sometimes it arrives a week or two late, but that it arrives, it arrives.

And, American companies DO in fact deliver to and from the DR.

INPOSDOM

-NALs
Is that delivery to a post office box (apartado) at the town's central Post Office NALs or to the actual physical address? If the latter, have Inposdom now aquired 10 more bicycles for each town?:cheeky: I haven't seen an increase of delivery men around town over the years! :ermm:

For speed AND security I still use BusinessMail into Puerto Plata. They also have offices at Santiago & Santo Domingo of course! ~ Grahame

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
went to their website...nothing happened???

I just checked the link and can't get beyond the splash page.

Here are their DR office locations:

Ave Abraham Lincoln #1009
casi esq. Gustavo Mejia Ricart
Naco
Santo Domingo

Calle 7 No. 22, Jardines Metropolitanos
Santiago

Plaza Turisol, local # 33
Primer M?dulo,
Carretera Luperon KM. 2, Puerto Plata

Mar 2, 2008
NALs,
I think it would fair to say that even a gigantic improvement probably wouldn't be enough to risk shipping anything of real value.

I think it might be a little misleading to encourage people to use the system at this point in time.

For anyone who has followed similar threads on the DR post ofice system, you might recall I had an ongoing wager with my sister regarding the post cards I sent her 2 years ago. Well, so far I'm winning, but then again I said she'd never get them, so I still have to wait for awhile to collect.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here is what I use:

TransExpress | logistic provider for MasterDelivery

Most posters I have seen that have tried it post that they like it better than the other services they have tried that are slower and cost more than Transexpress. They work out of the local Western Union offices here in the DR.

The problem I see is that they don't get the tax exemption for items up to US200 like Business Mail, Vimenpaq and EPS.

I have accounts with all three and Vimenpaq is still the cheapest for receiving packages as they don't charge extra for "oversize packages" like the other two.

My packages normally take around four business days to get from Doral to Santiago.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALs,
I think it would fair to say that even a gigantic improvement probably wouldn't be enough to risk shipping anything of real value.

I think it might be a little misleading to encourage people to use the system at this point in time.

For anyone who has followed similar threads on the DR post ofice system, you might recall I had an ongoing wager with my sister regarding the post cards I sent her 2 years ago. Well, so far I'm winning, but then again I said she'd never get them, so I still have to wait for awhile to collect.
I've been impressed by the Dominican Postal Service, given the way it used to be. At least in my case, I receive everything that is sent to me via the Dominican Postal Service.

Don't know if its because of the improvements in the system or if the senders make sure every single postage is placed on the envelops. I know that if you don't have enough postage, sometimes they get rid of the mail rather than return it to the sender.

The most recent mail from the DR that I received was the most recent edition of Revista Mercado and this is how the envelop arrived (notice the numerous stamps):

cimg0008jf9.jpg

Everything arrived on time and with no signs of tampering or anything. The envelop arrived sealed and everything that was suppose to arrive, arrived; despite this being a very pricey magazine to subscribe to (US$70).

I know everyone might not have the same experience, but at least in my case, I am impressed with the service and with the fact that important companies like the Mercado Media Network trust INPOSDOM when making deliveries of their product(s) to their clients, anywhere in the world; speaks volumes of the service INPOSDOM offers.
-NALs

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I'm also VERY impressed with the service currently being offered by INPOSDOM!!! I've been using the DR postal service without any problems since Jan. 2007. I've received an assortment of plastic and other miscellaneous laptop replacement parts shipped via INTERNATIONAL - USPS Global Priority from Impact Computers (Florida, USA). My packages are usually delivered to my home in SD in about 7-10 business days. I haven't lost a packages yet.

I've also received packages through DR Postal Service from different countries shipped using International Global Priority or the equivalent. For example, I ordered a Spectec SD 802.11b Wifi card for my Samsung I700 PDA about 1 year ago from a distributor in China (Taiwan or Hong Kong can't remember) and it was delivered in about 15 days for ~US$10 in shipping.

INTERNATIONAL - Global Priority using DR's Postal Service (INPOSDOM) is not bad for a shipping charge usually less than US$20 and I have found it to be reliable for package valued under US$200.

NotLurking

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I know people inside Inposdom and everytime Modesto Guzman takes it in its hands the quality of the service rise dramatically, but the fact is that it's credit as a reliable post office is still very low so they have a lot of work to do regarding that facet.

I mean would you venture into sending a very important paper through Inspodom yet?? (passport, titulo de propiedad) I wouldn't.