american citizen living in DR?

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
I was a dminican citizen until I received my USA citizenship 4 years ago if I stay to live in DR for more than 1 year do I need to fill out any paper work or just go ? I know that with my resident alien card I could have only stayed 6 months at a time an return to USA

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) As a US citizen, it is a good idea to register at the US Consulate, just in case the shyte hits the fan.
2) As a person born in the DR you can stay here as long as you want.
3) In order to travel back and forth you need a valid (new) U.S. Passport (which you guard with your life) and bring along an old DR passport...
4) You do not need to buy a tourist card (You are Dominican) ....

Okay>
??

HB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I was a dminican citizen until I received my USA citizenship 4 years ago if I stay to live in DR for more than 1 year do I need to fill out any paper work or just go ? I know that with my resident alien card I could have only stayed 6 months at a time an return to USA

Thanks

You STILL are a Dominican citizen, no matter how many citizenship you had acquired while living abroad. if you check you U.S. passport, it says you were born in the Dominican Republic.

You can move to the DR and never return back to the U.S. and you will never loose your American citizenship.

You don't need a Dominican Passport, just get your DR cedula, your U.S. passport is more than enough to prove your Dominican citizenship when traveling to the DR, the Cedula is just in case the police stop you and if you want to vote of course.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Once

Once a U.S. citizen, always a U.S. citizen. (well, there are a very few exceptions).
I would suggest you maintain your Dominican passport up to date anyway.
Why not. It gives you a tiny bit more freedom to travel.