Looking for elderly expats on northern coast

pyromanu

Sep 13, 2008
Dear Members of this Forum

I am a Swiss university student who?s currently working on a Master?s Thesis about transnational social fields. I?m looking for elderly expats (> 50, couples, men, women, new family with a dominican doesn?t matter) who live year round or part time on the Northern Coast of the Dominican Republic and who?d like to tell me about their experiences living here.

I?m interested in your social networks that you entertain with dominicans, other residents and relatives back home and how your relationships have changed since you have migrated here. The point is not to give you bad press but to describe social networks. I guarantee you full anonymity.

If you'd like to chat a little bit with me (I am in Cabarete until September 24) and contribute to sincere scientific research, please send me a private message or call me on 829 ?865-04-49. I speak German, English, French and Spanish.

Best regards, Manuela

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Could I inquire whether you intend doing face to face interviews or telephone enquiries? If the former are you prepared to travel to the respondent's location?

And I'd like to wish you all the best with your research :)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Dear Members of this Forum

I am a Swiss university student who?s currently working on a Master?s Thesis about transnational social fields. I?m looking for elderly expats (> 50, couples, men, women, new family with a dominican doesn?t matter) who live year round or part time on the Northern Coast of the Dominican Republic and who?d like to tell me about their experiences living here.

I?m interested in your social networks that you entertain with dominicans, other residents and relatives back home and how your relationships have changed since you have migrated here. The point is not to give you bad press but to describe social networks. I guarantee you full anonymity.

If you'd like to chat a little bit with me (I am in Cabarete until September 24) and contribute to sincere scientific research, please send me a private message or call me on 829 ?865-04-49. I speak German, English, French and Spanish.

Best regards, Manuela

OMG! Now I am considered "elderly"?? :paranoid:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
55 is when they start the no kid rules in some Florida condos so elderly has to be after 67 .

I just watched the "Bucket List", so how old am I, or better yet how old are any of us?

Tom Collins

Sep 5, 2008
i saw this movie as well and it reminds of a few hospital stays where you bond with the person in the next bed. before he's dead and this movie brought about some really important death bed wishes so i think if you aree getting older you should watch this as i cried at the end

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
55 is when they start the no kid rules in some Florida condos so elderly has to be after 67 .

I just watched the "Bucket List", so how old am I, or better yet how old are any of us?

I believe in the US you start getting your senior citizen discount at 55.

Reactions: Rocky

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
i saw this movie as well and it reminds of a few hospital stays where you bond with the person in the next bed. before he's dead and this movie brought about some really important death bed wishes so i think if you aree getting older you should watch this as i cried at the end

If you know or expect ahead of time, that the reaper awaits you, then live live to it's fullest.

Do what you haven't done, and if you haven't done it, then " Just Do It"

Time for another great Movie....luv the new movie download I suggested previously.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If the OP consents, we could change the offending word in her request to "mature" and then maybe we wrinkled old crones and geezers will be more inclined to respond. :D

pyromanu

Sep 13, 2008
Dear Repliers,

Thanks for your respones and interest. I didn't know that the term "elderly" is so delicate and for some, pejorative (maybe that's because I'm not a English native?). However, "age", "retirement" are social constructs and are culture-specific, e.g. in some African countries one is perceived as "old" at the age of 35. Please keep in mind that WE, with a western, industrialized way of thinking, mostly connect "age" with "retirement" and "age-care" and some form of state pensions. But do people in all cultures retire? To define „age“ is complicated and maybe therefore in science you only speak of „elderly“ and „younger“ and give your own case-specific defintion .

Nevertheless, maybe there are still some of you who’d like to share their expierences living here with me. So far, I’m especially interested in expats who receive a pension but If you don’t, doesn’t matter. As long as you live between Puerto Plata and Rio San Juan (I don’t have a car, have to take the guagua), I’d sure like to talk in person with you. We can meet at your house or meet in a restaurant or a bar, whatever you like.

Sincerely, Manuela

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I was probably one of the few who posted without commenting on your use of the word elderly since to me it didn't seem to matter much. However, I am interested in knowing more about your research. Is it hypothesis based? In which case what is the baseline hypothesis? Or is it a gathering of data as to how pensioner expats social networks have changed post migration? Are you building in any attempt to get a representative sample of respondents? Or is it 'any who are willing'? Do you have a structured questionnaire or is it 'tell me about..........' etc etc.

In your first post you indicate the wish to speak with either fulltime or parttime residents. Are you building in to your research the possible expected differences between those whose social networks are primarily DR focussed with those, say, who live in 2 or more countries each year?

Perhaps you could expand on your title, subject and methodology? Many thanks.

Mar 2, 2008
Possibly it is because when we live as though we are 22 and are in fact >50, the wear and tear of style of living can be exponential.

Just a thought from one who has been there and done that, and has the tee-shirt that has since shrunk.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and has the tee-shirt that has since shrunk.

Worry not when the tee-shirt shrinks, catcher, worry when the spine emulates it & you start to shrink. Thought I knew all about boobs heading south in the senior years but what I hadn't realised was that they were rushing to catch up with spinal compression........:ermm:

Manuela, want to switch your research to 'do expats age differently from stay-at-homes?' Heaps of takers because we're all obsessed.........I jest, I jest. :)

pyromanu

Sep 13, 2008
I was probably one of the few who posted without commenting on your use of the word elderly since to me it didn't seem to matter much. However, I am interested in knowing more about your research. Is it hypothesis based? In which case what is the baseline hypothesis? Or is it a gathering of data as to how pensioner expats social networks have changed post migration? Are you building in any attempt to get a representative sample of respondents? Or is it 'any who are willing'? Do you have a structured questionnaire or is it 'tell me about..........' etc etc.

In your first post you indicate the wish to speak with either fulltime or parttime residents. Are you building in to your research the possible expected differences between those whose social networks are primarily DR focussed with those, say, who live in 2 or more countries each year?

Perhaps you could expand on your title, subject and methodology? Many thanks.

In my departement (Social Anthropology) at the University of Berne we are working on migration and transnationalism. Actually I'm working on a theoretical piece of work and try to prove recent migration research literature wrong/not accurate: I try to prove that there are other forms of mobility than only "residents" and "seasonal visitors" and that incorporation (which is a higly controversial term itself) in a society must be considered in a transnational way. I'm focusing on the more mature expats as there are sometimes other conditions than younger people might explore.
My empirical work is ethnographic and can't be representative (btw, I think true representation is a myth anyway) as it is explorative. One of the main goals is to describe transnational social networks and transnational activities. I use different anthropological and sociological methods such as participant observation, focused group discussions and a open questionnaire. My concept is 20 pages long and approved by the department (as well as fully funded by it). We did a similiar study in different regions of Spain and now we'd like to know whether there are different kinds of networks, transnational activities in a less developed country. I've been here since June and my current problem is that I have a german bias in my study.

However, one of the questions is: How do you perceive "aging" here in de DR? Is it different as in your home country? How?

Want to know more? Ask me!

Cya, Manuela

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've been here since June and my current problem is that I have a german bias in my study.

Good gracious we can't have that :cheeky:. Thank you for your lucid exposition, pyromanu, you obviously know your stuff so I am happy to take part. If you can make it to Puerto Plata on Monday and want to include a British couple in your research we will make ourselves available. At 65 & 64 we fit your age criterion ;). Have been living here 16 years. You are welcome to visit our home; BushBaby can collect you off the guagua at the large roundabout/baseball stadium. I have PMed you.

There is a Swiss expat not far from us who posts on this board but I'm pretty sure he's under 50.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
If you do not qualify for SSI then you are not considered elderly.

Now, if by American standards you choose to take SSI disbursements at the age of 62 as opposed to 65 and or 67, this could elevate your definition of being considered elderly based on health or lack of choice.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In UK state retirement pension age is 60 for females, 65 for males. Probably other European countries might have different age delineations. Not all definitions are based on amerigocentric models...............;) The researcher's definition is 50+ so..............we fit. :)