Help from ne one

xxbuffet13xx

Sep 14, 2008
Hello to all, i just had a question. I am going to study abroad in santo domingo and my mom is scared because she said it is really dangerous there, I mean i ain't scared but can someone tell me how life is really here so i can tell her that it is not as dangerous as she thinks. She just keeps listening to her friends and they all just say how dangerous it is.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Hello to all, i just had a question. I am going to study abroad in Santo Domingo and my mom is scared because she said it is really dangerous there, I mean i ain't scared but can someone tell me how life is really here so i can tell her that it is not as dangerous as she thinks. She just keeps listening to her friends and they all just say how dangerous it is.

The short answer to your question is "how long is piece of string"?:chinese:

You see, I really can't see anyone here on DR1 telling you to tell your mom it is not dangerous in SD, or anywhere else in this country for that matter. Why would you think someone would take that responsibility on, even if they knew you? However,I am certain you will get some helpful advise in the near future from this post. Believe me at the end of the day I for one would not try to put you off in living/studying in SD, or anywhere in DR.
With that in mind, it would be interesting to know the following information about you as you sound very confident without knowing your age or experience..
1. Are you leaving home for the first time?
2. Have you traveled alone much to other countries including islands in the Caribbean?
3. Are you originally from a large city in your country?
* you probably know that SD is the largest city in DR
4. Have you visited the area in which you will be living/studying?
5. What area of SD where will you be studying and living?
6. Will you be living alone or with someone else in SD?
7. How is your Spanish?
xxbuffet13xx, without knowing some of these answers, and I'm sure others will ask even more questions, I can understand why your mom is just being a mother! :nervous:

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would ask what are you going to study and where are you going to study??

Also, by "Santo Domingo" do you mean just the capital city or the whole country?

A lot depends on who you hang with...

HB

xxbuffet13xx

Sep 14, 2008
Ok well i am from new york city, so i am used to the big city, i am actually puerto rican and i speak spanish, i stay in puerto rico every summer for about 2 months. I mean i am only 18 and i am going to stay in DR with a family from my study abroad program. Im going to try my best just to fit in i mean i chill wit alot of dominicans in new york city but i mean dominicans from new york are way different from dominicans from la republica, just like boricuas from ny and boris from pr. So any advice will help thanks so much.. o i think the school is en la zona capital but i dono where my family will be living in. But i know for sure it is santo domingo.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well...it is my opinion that Puerto Rico is a lot more dangerous than The DR so if you survived there you should be OK in Santo Domingo. Plus if you're from NY City and speak Spanish then I don't see what's to be scared about.

I think your mother is just being a mom. All mothers worry about their kids being away...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Even if one has developed some street wises in its home town, even if that is New York or Santo Domingo... EVERY "hot" city or country is different and it is not "home".
I think that your Latin heritage will give you some initial cover, but you will be surprised how soon you will be recognized as a Puertorican AND from NY anyway.
So, work yourself s l o w l y into the city and country, don't be daring nor cocky, be careful and observing instead. Some neighborhoods which may seem really awful to you when comparing to PR or NYC may actually hide out less dangers as other locations which may look "fine" to the newcomer to the city.
You'll hook up with locals quick because of your language... listen, observe and explore diligently and try to make friends with intelligent and educated people who entertain themselves in a healthy way. Don't however be fooled into believing that drugs are halted by social barriers... and stay away from them, jails around here are not comfortable and the rules of law often blurry when it comes to the rights of those arrested.

... J-D.