Life In Santo Domingo

xxbuffet13xx

Sep 14, 2008
I will be living studying in santo domingo from january to april, Just wanted to know any advice from people that already live here of how life is, I am not quite sure of what part of santo domingo i will be living in yet but i know the school is in zona colonial. Also i read in some threads that men should wear jeans and regular shirts but no shorts, but what if they are jean shorts lol.. THank for your help in advanced

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Depending on where you are going, shorts are not really a problem. My boyfriend practically lives in shorts and no-one ever gives him a second look (well maybe they do, but heah!).

I think that the most important thing to remember is to be aware of your surroundings. Don't dress to 'flashy' so you appear 'rich' and a target to would be thieves.

Be aware of the people that you meet - don't be too trusting. I've recently heard stories from other expats who have befriending locals and had money and belongings stolen. They themselves said that they should have been more careful...

Most importantly, have fun! This is a fabulous place to live and visit. Enjoy all that it has to offer.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I will be living studying in santo domingo from january to april, Just wanted to know any advice from people that already live here of how life is, I am not quite sure of what part of santo domingo i will be living in yet but i know the school is in zona colonial. Also i read in some threads that men should wear jeans and regular shirts but no shorts, but what if they are jean shorts lol.. THank for your help in advanced

If you want to assimilate a little better and not look like a tourist, do what the locals do.

In most cases, you will only see middle class and up Dominicans wearing shorts to the beach or on Sundays.

If you couldn't careless, then don't worry.
As Sanation said... "This is a fabulous place to live and visit. Enjoy all that it has to offer".