Why Bother when no response

A

allan

Just not sure why people come on here and leave messages asking for info on resorts but who won't share their experiences when they return. Saw several people on here were visiting resorts I was interested in but when I e mailed then with questions, I got no response. One would think that if you come on here asking for info on resorts before you go yourself, then you could take the time to answer an e mail for info from someone else requiring info. What goes around comes around I was always told! So please if you ask for info be prepared to answer questions too!

C

Charlie

Yes, that is true Allan. Unfortunately, there will always be the "help me" type people, who won't return the favor of their time. But fortunately, we have some great resources on this board like Jim Hinsch, Susan Ortega, Natasha and Hillbilly that are great at broadening our insight on the Dominican geopolitical and social culture.

D

DR1

Please read.....

Post your questions on the board, you may be surprised who answers.

If it's something you desperatly need to know I'm sure Dolores will try and help you out. dolores@dr1.com

Also check out the resort database.

Catalonia:
<A HREF="http://www.dr1.com/hotels/database/EasPunCataYH3SXUM8.htm">http://www.dr1.com/hotels/database/EasPunCataYH3SXUM8.htm</A>
<A HREF="http://www.dr1.com/hotels/database/SouPunCata7VGKTIUL.htm">http://www.dr1.com/hotels/database/SouPunCata7VGKTIUL.htm</A>

Plus it has a number of reviews on Occidental hotels.

Rob.

G

Grahame Bush

I totally agree with you Allan. Over the last 2 1/2 years of using internet & DR1, I have answered many enquiries on this board & followed those up with personal e-mails. Advice on relocation, apartment prices, cost of living, banking, investments, tours/excursions has been given freely but at quite a cost in my time. I HAVE made a lot of friends however & they visit me when they come on holidays (bringing me sorely needed pipe tobacco for me & chocolates for my wife), either at my home or in Puerto Plata town for a cold drink.

I think it works out at around 20% that remain in contact & become friends. I often worry though about the 80% because 30% of them fail to even acknowledge the help given, 50% acknowledge & ask more questions until they run out of questions that need answering then just forget to stay in touch, & 20% only respond when they think they can get more free help!! It is very rare to see "thanks" messages on the board unless the people are long term contributors on the board. I recently sent out 40 e-mails chasing up contacts I had written to over the last 18 months asking where they were now ..... I received 3 replies!! Nedless to say, the other 37 have now been binned & removed from my contacts list.

Come on Guys & Gals, .... show a bit of "old fashioned courtesy" for those who give up their hard earned time bothering to answer your questions. If you are one of those who forgot to reply to my e-mails .. drop me a line - I CAN be quite forgiving & always like to stay in touch with old contacts, especially if they become friends!! - Grahame.

S

Sarah

I sometimes hesitate in saying "Thank You" on the board for fear that someone will accuse me of wasting space...remember the stink about *DC* awhile back. However, thanks via personal email might be the way to go. Thanks for the reminder to be more courteous! ~Sarah

J

Jim Hinsch

No folks, we don't need to fill up this board with "thank you", "good post", "well said", or "good photos" messages.

Every new message costs money, is more work for the moderator, and causes an older message to roll off into the archives, making it harder to get information. Let's keep the messages for when there is actual content. You can say your thanks and any other private comments by E-mail.

If every reply received a "thank you", half the messages on the board would be useless to the general readership. As a forum moderator myself on the Compuserve Caribbean Travel Forum, it is our policy to delete such messages for similar reasons and offenders are sent private messages about board use policy.

So please, show courtesy to the provider of information by E-mail, and show courtesy to the rest of the users and owners of the board by not wasting space on the board.

C

Charlie

Mr. Hinsch does have a valid point for not aimlessly lenthening a message thread. But, then again, there is something of a killjoy tone in not expressing that an exceptional post should be heralded.

J

John

it does not hurt just to add a thank you to a question,but no response to a question is better then someone replying telling you the subject has been answered before check way back through a few years of messages.by the way jim seeing i'm already sending a message and one on the listis getting knocked off thanks for the information you gave in your reply awhile back,appreciate it.

G

Grahame Bush

Re: Thanks Jim - correct address is ....

So THAT is why I never get e-mail replies on this board any more!!! I used to use the GrahameBush@Hotmail.com until earlier this year but now use the Bedggood_Bush@hotmail.com company address. You will note one 'g' is missing in the posted address. Sorry folks, either my fingers went astray when I posted it earlier or someone mistyped it later.