Que pasa con "El Gran Hotel Cibao" in Santiago?

ray unrath

Dec 28, 2007
This massive hotel looks complete on the exterior but I've seen no work going on for over a year. Is the golf course still in the works?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Apparently family squabbles have halted development. Last I heard, the golf course has been put on hold...idiots, rich, but idiots...daddy had all the money....kids don't know, apparently, from jack

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yet another megalomaniac project biting the dust before it's even finished. The island is splattered full of them. I wonder what the business plan was for what many locals jokingly call the "cruise ship" (la cosa esta que se ve como un cruzero).

What is so interesting is, that if it will follow the historic example set by so many other failed multimillion projects turning into ruins before they even open, it is likely that nobody will seem to see an opportunity to turn it into something viable before it's too late.

Things like that should be place under national patrimony protection as warning signs to all who think that it is easy to make big money here... wouldbe developers and hoteliers as well as other "investors".

... J-D.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In this case the guy was from Jarabacoa, well aware of the DR business environment and the project was well on its way to completion when the guy died. His children are fighting over the estate. JD, I'm not sure your statment makes sense in this case.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
In this case the guy was from Jarabacoa, well aware of the DR business environment and the project was well on its way to completion when the guy died. His children are fighting over the estate. JD, I'm not sure your statment makes sense in this case.

Well, I can understand that to you they may not. But to me they only may, in the sense that most of these projects are

• a) often grossly over sized for the country's or local economy,
  • b) run poorly (a project like this can not depend on ONE person... it's a business which has many people like contractors, possibly lenders, partners and/or investors hanging on it's faith),
  • c) bearing only too many explanations as to why it did yet again not work (which is not a solution... es que lo que pasa es que... bla bla bla = no fue culpa, fue sin querer?),
  • d) full of people doing nothing else but fighting over it (weather it's family, investors or banks)... these fights have turned building sites in ruins worth less then the land they have been erected on too many times. Which yet again, goes to show how poorly the business was set up in the first place and how business savvy the heirs are too.
Aware of the business environment? In a project like this one, the possible demise of one key person should have been calculated into the plan from scratch... it usually is in small business ventures around the world... It's a great business plan to fail now because daddy died?
Maybe just one more hint why I deemed the term megalomania may be appropriate?
In business, failure is failure, which ever way one goes on to explain it. The trigger point usually is not to be solely located at the moment it makes "boom" but much before.

Bob, I am not sure my statements are even statements and that they make sense in this case per see as I don't have any insider knowledge about this particular case. But I have a funny feeling, they may. ;)
It looks, acts and feels like so many projects which have bit the dust in a cloud of would-be reasons in this country.

No hard feelings, but in this case we may need to agree on not agreeing... after all we are not the heirs of that thing :D
... J-D.

ray unrath

Dec 28, 2007
thanks to all.

thanks to all, most informative. I wonder why they don't have "vulture developers here, as they do in the states, to pick up the pieces and make a handsome profit (sometimes).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since i know some of the people involved I'd like to say that the project is certainly viable. Especially if it were done the way it was drawn up. Huascar was not dumb and he know how to do things right.
However, the squabbles over who and what have stalled everything. I'd love to see someone with deep pockets come in and pick up the pieces...

HB