East coast beaches with public access

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Following on from this thread www.dr1.com/forums/legal/78599-private-beaches-dr.html in the legal forum, I'd like to ask the east coast gurus like Mike - which beaches in the Punta Cana / Bavaro area are truly accessible to the public?

What facilities are there on these beaches - bars, restaurants, natural or artificial shade, informal vendors, sunbeds, showers, toilets, etc.? Are they considered safe in terms of swimming/risk of theft?

Feb 7, 2007
I know for sure Cortecito is accessible, There are restaurants/bars/shops nearby.

Also Macao is accessible, and Miches.

Boca de Yuma is accessible, but it's quite rocky.

Bayahibe also has accessible beach areas, no info about amenities.

I think from all of the above, Cortecito is the best equipped as far as amenities are concerned.

Reactions: Rocky

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Closest to Punta Cana...

Cabeza de Toro, soon to be a Blue Flag beach. That certification ensures that the quality of the water is monitored.

In the direction of Bavaro... Jellyfish Restaurant (have lunch at the restaurant, enjoy the beach), see the sign on the road where you turn to this beach -- about 1.5 km from the road.

Los Corales -- around the block from El Dorado Plaza and then entrance by Stanza Mare or the Flavio Acuna spa. Plenty of restaurants in that area.

And Macao, but Macao is about 40 minutes from Punta Cana. I would be careful at Macao with a small child.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Also, there is the Bibijagua artisan shops and restaurant area set between the IFA Resort and Barcelo Resort and Convention Center. It is a typical Dominican setting with beach access. There are beach and recreation activities, such as para-sailing, boats for hire, and diving. There is plenty of parking in a paved lot at the rear of the beachfront facilities.

It is easy to get there, you head towards Bavaro after departing the Veron crossroads. You travel about 6 miles / 10 kilometers towards the Barcelo Resort, you continue on same the road after passing the rotary/roundabout in front of the Barcelo entrance. After the rotary within a short distance you immediately pass stone pillars on both sides of the road, take a hard right onto the the road that bring you to the Bibijagua, follow it to the end and it will arrive to the parking area and you can then stroll through the shops to the beach.

Regards,
PJT

Reactions: Rocky and Chirimoya

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thank you for the information, PJT, Dolores, Rubio: the only one I'd heard mentioned before as a public access beach was Cortecito.

I've noticed the signs for Bibijagua and Jellyfish, and will look out for the others. I'll put all these suggestions on our list for exploring in the next few weekends.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Thank you for the information, PJT, Dolores, Rubio: the only one I'd heard mentioned before as a public access beach was Cortecito.

I've noticed the signs for Bibijagua and Jellyfish, and will look out for the others. I'll put all these suggestions on our list for exploring in the next few weekends.

There is a public access beach at El navegante (beach restaurant) It's in Uvero Alto

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's also a restaurant with beach access called El Pulpo Cojo, apparently.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sad but true, windeguy. In theory they are public, but in reality they are not. e.g. Try and go to the absolutely gorgeous Juanillo (Cap Cana) and see how far you get.

My question was "which beaches... are truly accessible to the public?"

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Hello,

In July 2007 I rented an apartment in Los Corales, there was public access right by the apartment. Just to the right was the Bamboo Bar and a little further right was Soles Restaurant/Bar.

At the Bamboo Bar during the day I would notice people come with their laptops so, this must be a wifi area. There are loungers & beach beds for you to use as long as you purchase a drink or food. The pizza here is quite good!

I met a local English lady there that would come everyday, she would drive and park her car close to the beach.

Here is a link to my photos that include this area. The Bamboo Bar is at the end of the photos.
Picasa Web Albums - Tracy - Punta Cana Ju...

Maybe this will help somewhat.

Tracy

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would not take a young child to Uvero Alto beaches. They are known to have undertow. I understand there are some easy stretches, though. You need to check with locals whether the section of the beach is safe for all swimmers.

Feb 7, 2007
I have just recalled there are beach vendors/booths by the Ocean Blue hotel (entrance through the employees and suppliers' entrance). I have seen people getting in there on motorcycles. I assume that it means public beach.