amazing book....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
Maybe some of you have read it or heard of it, but if not, it's a must read. It's titled "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao". It won the Pulitzer for fiction this past year, and even though I am only 50 pages in, it seems deserved. It contains a little DR history and a lot of Dominican culture all told in a hilarious, heartfelt narrative. It centers on Oscar, a nerdy Dominican boy who moves with his family to New Jersey and faces the ridicule of his friends, family and schoolmates for being a sci-fi geek who can't find a girlfriend. I've laughed out loud numerous times, probably as many times as I've welled up with empathy and sadness for our "hero". Whether you live in the DR, hope to live in the DR, know a Dominican, are familiar with Latino culture and/or just love a great book, I highly recommend that you read this. I have no doubt that the coming pages will be equally enthralling based on all the accolades it has received. If you pick it up, enjoy! I'd love to hear from others who have read it. Rebecca

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
got it....

Sparky, here is a recent thread about the book with lots of comments by DR1ers:

www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/66243-junot-diaz-book-gets-good-reviews.html

guess it's not up for discussion anymore.....even tho it's still pertinent. I guess I thought new posters would be interested. Also, I'm curious as to what people who read it thought of it. Maybe people still want to talk about it. AND,maybe, maybe just maybe, it's possible that people who live in the DR stil haven't read it. Just saying because as far as I know, a lot of people don't like to read books. I'd like to hear from folks who have actually read it, and I'd like turn people on to it, that's all. R

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
guess it's not up for discussion anymore.....even tho it's still pertinent. I guess I thought new posters would be interested. Also, I'm curious as to what people who read it thought of it. Maybe people still want to talk about it. AND,maybe, maybe just maybe, it's possible that people who live in the DR stil haven't read it. Just saying because as far as I know, a lot of people don't like to read books. I'd like to hear from folks who have actually read it, and I'd like turn people on to it, that's all. R

Not sure what the 'it' was you 'got' sparky - of course it's up for discussion. Chirimoya was just indicating a thread which is already ongoing & where you might like to read the comments of others. Plus it is probably easier to have all the comments on one thread. She of all people was not trying to stifle discussion on a literary theme by a Dominican master of the art!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lambada, I think the OP read my reply to mean 'ha ha, you're late to the party' when in fact I was responding to what she said she wanted, which was to hear what other readers thought about it, to bring it to the attention of people who haven't heard about it, etc.

Meanwhile, everyone is welcome to continue the discussion about the book on the main thread. :)

www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/66243-junot-diaz-book-gets-good-reviews.html

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.