Beach Cleaning Day - 20 September 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This coming Saturday, 20 September, from 9am, all are invited to join a global beach cleaning campaign organized by volunteers the world over. In the DR, the effort has the backing of the Ministry of Environment. Those who would like to participate are invited to email the volunteer leaders in the list below to get information on the tasks for the day.

Beaches & Rivers to be cleaned up:

South Coast --
Santo Domingo: Guibia, Boca Chica/Andres, Haina

Southeast Coast --
San Pedro de Macoris: Juan Dolio, Guayacanes, El Soco River

Central --
Yaque del Norte River

Northwest Coast --
Monte Cristi: Punta Rucia/La Ensenada, El Morro

Southwest Coast --
Barahona

East Coast--
La Altagracia: Macao, Cabeza de Toro

North Coast --
Puerto Plata: Cabarete
Maria Trinidad Sanchez: Rio San Juan

Contacts:
Barahona: Oscar Oviedo - o.oviedo@leon.com.do
Boca Chica/Andres: Laura Marte - lalimeli@hotmail.com
Guibia: Katherine Bojos - kbojos@gmail.com
Juan Dolio: Carolina Guisande - carolina_guisande@hotmail.com
Guayacanes: Jessika Nina - jessikanina@yahoo.es
Punta Rucia/La Ensenada: H?ctor Mota - motaportes@yahoo.com
Rio Yaque del Norte: Sahadia Cruz - sahadia_c@hotmail.com
Macao: Ana Paula G?mez (Fundaci?n Menta) - anapaulagomez@hotmail.com
Cabeza de Toro: Sofia Chihab (Paradisus Punta Cana) - turismo.responsable@paradisuspalmareal.com
Monte Cristi (La Granja, El Morro, otras): Douglas Escotto - douglasescotto@yahoo.es
Playa El Soco: Heidy Rodriguez - herdysrod@gmail.com
Nagua/Playa La Entrada: Edwin Espin - edwin.espin@gmail.com
Haina: Dario Solano (Fundaci?n Haina Cultural) - hainacultural@gmail.com
Cabarete: Oscar Andr?s Sanoja - oscar.andres.sanoja@publicis.com.do

Reactions: MikeFisher

moreyl

Sep 3, 2008
Cool, I will participate....I'm amazed by this initiative from the government!! We should keep this up!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I'm glad somebody has taken up the organization of the event in the DR. CEBSE used to participate just in Samana, but for some reason they stopped doing so a couple of years back (at least that's what they told me by email back in 2006). I have always wondered why the DR, with all its beaches and emphasis on tourism, did not participate fully (on all major beaches) in this annual global event while many of the small island nations in the Caribbean and even Guyana does.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I wonder if this took place in Cabarete as planned. I emailed the contact person the day Dolores started the thread to offer my assistance but got no response at all.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I left it a little late and only contacted the Cabeza de Toro person last night - she phoned me less than an hour later giving me the time and place for meeting.

We (the Chiri and Pib families) joined a huge crowd of volunteers who seemed to be made up mainly of hotel employees. Environment Minister Jaime David Fern?ndez Mirabal landed in a helicopter and did a spot of cleaning for the cameras - I'll post the photos soon.

The funny thing was that the beach was actually quite clean to start with and the huge number of volunteers probably ended up fighting over pieces of rubbish!

I see that alot of Dominicans in Sosua participated this afternoon,instead of leaving their empty bottles of beer and brugal in the sand they just left it in the water to be washed away, National beach cleaning day was definately a hit here on the north coast, Can't wait for next year!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Photos from Cabeza de Toro:

standard.jpg

Environment Minister Jaime David Fern?ndez Mirabal rallies the troops.

standard.jpg

The Minister starts off the clean-up

standard.jpg

At the ready with a bin bag...

standard.jpg

Two young volunteers.

standard.jpg

The minister went on cleaning after the cameras had gone.

standard.jpg

Chirimoyito, the hardest worker in our little contingent.

May 31, 2005
I was in the Haina clean up at Playa Gringo. It was great to see the entire community working together because Playa Gringo was really dirty after all of this rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.