Cell Phones

Jerzey7

Sep 15, 2008
Hey guys, I need to know if I want to take my boyfriend a cell phone in DR, will he be able to use it? I live in the US and the phone system here is different. he uses a card now. Is there a phone I can buy him here and he can attach to orange or any othe rserver there?:paranoid:

Sep 19, 2005
what ever you do make sure your BF gets an 809 number..... the 829 area code numbers have lots of issues plus, I could NEVER get a text message to work when my gf had an 829 area code number..

I know it isnt scientific, but it is based on experiences.

I think i connected less than 10% of the time to 829 area code numbers...

A GSM phone gives you the most options though, because you can use it with more carriers in the DR than a CDMA phone.

but over all the cell phone connection quality has fallen over the last 18 months. from the US to the DR( at least from my carrier Verizon)

I know i was calling every day.....

bad bob

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
I hooked up my unlocked Nokia GSM phone with Orange, back in May, and I was given a number with the 829 area code. I guess you have to take whatever they give you. Also, since my phone was only used for a few weeks and won't be used again, in the DR, for about 10 months, I expect I will be given a new number and smart chip when I return in May.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
GSM Bands in the DR

From: GSM FREQUNCIES World we are to believe that all four GSM bands (850-900-1800-1900) may be in use among the three main Cell providers.

Dominican Republic

The following networks operate in this country/area:
<table bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="2" width="90%"> <tbody><tr><td>Compa?ia Dominicana de Telefonos, C. por A. (CLARO GSM)
</td> <td width="15%">GSM 850/1900
</td><td bgcolor="#33ff33" width="15%">Live
</td></tr> <tr><td><small>
spacer.gif
Network Information
divider.gif
Roaming Partners
divider.gif
Services </small>
</td> </tr> <tr><td>Compa?ia Dominicana de Telefonos, C. por A. (CLARO GSM)
</td> <td width="15%">3G 850
spacer.gif
Network Information
divider.gif
Roaming Partners
divider.gif
Services </small>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="2" width="90%"> <tbody><tr><td>Orange Dominicana S.A.
</td> <td width="15%">GSM 900/1800/1900
spacer.gif
Network Information
divider.gif
Roaming Partners
divider.gif
Services
divider.gif
Coverage Map
updated.gif
</small>
<table bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="2" width="90%"> <tbody><tr><td>Trilogy Dominicana S.A.
</td> <td width="15%">GSM 1900
spacer.gif
Network Information
divider.gif
Roaming Partners
divider.gif
Services </small>

You would thus be well advised to only consider an unlocked QUAD-band phone, so it can be used with any service.

... J-D.

Sep 19, 2005
I dont think there are many Quad mode phones..

what other bands does the WORLD phones accept???

just CDMA in addition to the 4 previously mentioned GSM bands????

Last time i was in verizon they offered 2 world phones, but they had precious few other features I liked...

be carefull buying Unloacked GSM phones over the net.

i got a "great" deal on a K1GOLD Razor only to find the phone came from germany, and i didnt get an english manual and it had a funky adapter that needed to be used to be able to plug into "our" style outlets....

Hey guys, I need to know if I want to take my boyfriend a cell phone in DR, will he be able to use it? I live in the US and the phone system here is different. he uses a card now. Is there a phone I can buy him here and he can attach to orange or any othe rserver there?:paranoid:

Give him your current cell phone and buy a new one for yourself, he will have no problem getting it hooked up over there. He will be happy and you can spend on yourself.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Take badpiece's advice, he is the living sage in DR affairs.
Maybe try finding a boyfriend who is able to buy his own cell phone. Better him then a broke ass boyfriend you are dating now.
AZB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I dont think there are many Quad mode phones..

what other bands does the WORLD phones accept???

just CDMA in addition to the 4 previously mentioned GSM bands????

Last time i was in verizon they offered 2 world phones, but they had precious few other features I liked...

be carefull buying Unloacked GSM phones over the net.

i got a "great" deal on a K1GOLD Razor only to find the phone came from germany, and i didnt get an english manual and it had a funky adapter that needed to be used to be able to plug into "our" style outlets....

• Most quality phones will come in tri or quad band. If you want to buy a cheap phone, buy it here. Btw, most locals will love a Mot V3. They can be bought locally for around 3000 Pesos... unlocked. They assemble them locally.
  • Most cell phone manufacturers will have manuals available for download in most languages on their websites.
  • Generic wall wart type chargers can be bought for USD 10.oo or less for most any model nowadays.

Give him your current cell phone and buy a new one for yourself, he will have no problem getting it hooked up over there. He will be happy and you can spend on yourself.

Great advise! I was almost going to bring this up but wanted to keep the thread "sanky-free". But yes, great advise. There is a high chance you will find out the phone you brought got "lost" or "stolen". If he needs a phone to call you, or is it so you can call him... buy him a simple cell phone here for a 1000 Pesos! But then, that's not our business to mind, now ain't it?

... J-D

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
there is an easy way out. Just buy him the new disposable like phones. They cost like 400-500 pesos and include free promotional minutes. These phones work great and they will last him a long time. I hope he has the money to buy phone cards or the Op can call him day and night, incoming minutes are free.
AZB

Jerzey7

Sep 15, 2008
ha ha ha, thanks for the laugh, your right on that one, I need a man with money! but in problems of the heart you can't rule.

Sep 19, 2005
there is an easy way out. Just buy him the new disposable like phones. They cost like 400-500 pesos and include free promotional minutes. These phones work great and they will last him a long time. I hope he has the money to buy phone cards or the Op can call him day and night, incoming minutes are free.
AZB

and they said I, was getting SOFT......

bad bob