An Ant Question???

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I know it has probably been asked & answered, but when I did a search didn't see anything specific about fumigation for ants. These little tiny things are making me a bit on the homicidal side... normally I don't like to interfere with the nature of things BUT enough already. Is there a special way to rid the condo of these things, yes I clean with bleach and no I don't leave out garbage.. etc.. but we still seem to be overun this year. Also we have a dog and cat on premises. Any pet friendly sprays??? Thanks for any suggestions!!
All will be welcomed, some maybe tried!!!

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Divipan works well. It's safe for use around pets and it's available at the pet shop in Sosua.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
A natural solution but not sure if your pets would get into them. Try dry hot peppers in jars in the spice area in the supermarket.
Put them around where you see ants and in a few days they will be gone.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Borax mixed with fine sugar

The ants love it
get it to their borrow and eat it

the borax runs havox on thier body

Greetings

Johan

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I have to agree with Johan, Borax mixed with sugar works a treat.

It needs to be noted though that Borax is toxic - keep away from pets and children.

Another option is salt -ants hate the stuff!

Mccoolhill

Jun 11, 2007
You can simply use a box with sugar and water, that will drown the little bastards. I have tried it myself and it works. When you take many enough, they will mark you condo as "The condo of horror", where they check inn, but never out..... Then they will stop coming... Just be sure to add more water when it dries so it always is liquid.

GardenCraft

Jun 12, 2007
About the only truly non-toxic ant control method I know of is salt. Back in Oz clients would complain about ant nests in the paving (making little sand piles). I'd buy a bag of salt and sweep it over the paving and into the cracks with 100% success rate. It may be a bit messy inside the house but lay salt along the ant traffic areas and they will move pronto!
If the little buggers persist you may need to use several of the suggested controls simultaneously.
Don't be too afraid of using borax- unless your pets have no taste buds.
Try and find both their food source and nest- then treatment will not be guess-work.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
An Ant Question

Thank you all for your remedies. I have declared chemical warfare and am fumigating. These little things bite, and they are not big enough to bite back so... off they go to ant heaven. Will take the pets out of harms way!!!
Tried asking them nicely to move, but no luck. Again thanks for all suggestions, will probably enlist some to keep the unwelcome mat out.

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Ants

Hi!
I've used furniture polish(pledge or something similar) on them...kills them in their tracks. I also sprayed it into the cracks in the grouting around the tiles,(where they were coming in) they never came back. Just one more thing for you to try!
Good luck!

thomas901

May 4, 2008
You can simply use a box with sugar and water, that will drown the little bastards. I have tried it myself and it works. When you take many enough, they will mark you condo as "The condo of horror", where they check inn, but never out..... Then they will stop coming... Just be sure to add more water when it dries so it always is liquid.

ahhhh hahahahahah thats too funny

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
These all seem like solutions to just kill them there, which one is best to kill the whole colony. I have heard of something that you can use that gets taken back to the nest and kills them all.
I have Ants also and I am getting fed up
SHALENA

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Make Anty go away

Ants are everywhere on this Island.
When I bought my house the back yard was dirt and we have since concreted and walled it in. I thought this would alleviate the problem with those little sugar ants in the house. Nope, those ants eat concrete.
Anyway we went to the fumigator on the carreterra near sosua in that Plaza where the Computer center is. He and his wife were only too familiar with the problem (they are Canadians) . The next day they came to our home and the sprayed around the house, (Inside and out), then we had to remove all from the cupboards and the house was turned completely upside down.
They were injecting a fluid into all the little cracks and into the wall and light plate holes.
I was quite skeptical as I used to have the house fogged and it did little.
Well it has been about 4 or 5 weeks since we had it done and I can tell you that I am VERY impressed ! The ant population , although not 100% gone is down probably 90% . He was quite honest and said that we would have to do this 2 times (2 Months and then once every about 6 months to maintain it.
I mean really, I don't see ants at all like before. The guys were quite thorough albeit a bit rouch on the window blinds because they didnt know how to open them but I can tell you that this works. All for a cost of 2000 Pesos per visit They were here for about 4 hours. Money well spent as the ants are in complete retreat (at least for the moment)

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Where can I purchase Borax in Santo Domingo? I didn't see it at Plaza Lama when I looked.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
In the states you can find borax at some hardware stores. Would that be a place to look in the D.R. ?? Anyone???

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Where is Borax available?

I have seen many postings claiming Borax is a solution for "dealing" with ant problems, but where is the product available? Checked in La Sirena in Santiago.. not there. Any idea as to the availability of the product in and around the Sosua area? I assume that this is the 40 Mule Team Borax product by Colgate Palmolive which is being discussed. OK folks.... where can you find/buy it?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
In Sosua I checked Playero.
In Cabarete Janet's & La Rosa.
In Santiago at Nacional.

No luck so far. If it's there, I'm overlooking it.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
I have to agree with Johan, Borax mixed with sugar works a treat.

It needs to be noted though that Borax is toxic - keep away from pets and children.

Another option is salt -ants hate the stuff!

ive always heard borax (toxic to pets and kids if they get in it) works. i tried the salt thing....it did not phase them one bit. i ended up buying some ant and roach killer from the store..i think it was raid brand. had to spray their little route once every couple of days for a few days but they got smart and finally gave up. it leaves a nice little residue so that if one walks over it..they die soon after.

casscade

May 24, 2003
Terro Ant Killer works!! I used to have it sent to me from the states when I lived in the DR. Just a couple drops kills the whole colony. You can order it online at Terro.com.