Utesa?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
My wife is entering her first semester of college to study Derecho (Law). She lives in Sosua with 2 children, so she can not commute to Santiago every day.
Originally she was going to attend O y M, but they don't offer Derecho at their Puerto Plata campus, so it looks like UTESA is her only option.

I have read some unflattering reports about UTESA on DR1. Does anyone have anything good to say, or have any other options for her?

Thanks - D

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
UTESA is just like any other run of the mill Dominican university. Getting a degree from there is not going to necessarily advance her career, but it won't be a detriment either. There are only a few universities in The DR whose degrees are looked upon more favorably than others (PUCAMAIMA, INTEC, UNIBE), but that's only because if you go there people automatically assume you're well off or at least higher middle class.

It really comes down to the student him/herself and how motivated he/she is. At least her title will come from an accredited university.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Most UTESA graduates holding a law degree I have met so far, seem to dabble in Real Estate, running small RE-agencies mostly geared to the local's needs. I am sure the vast majority do practice thou. Yet I must say that those I have spoken too, failed to met my expectancies, not only in legal thinking but mostly lacking bite, creativity and "horizon". But that can be my personal perception.

... J-D.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Most UTESA graduates holding a law degree I have met so far, seem to dabble in Real Estate, running small RE-agencies mostly geared to the local's needs. I am sure the vast majority do practice thou. Yet I must say that those I have spoken too, failed to met my expectancies, not only in legal thinking but mostly lacking bite, creativity and "horizon". But that can be my personal perception.

... J-D.

Unfortunately, my wife has the same opinion of the UTESA students she knows. So I think she may stick with O Y M if she can get a decent schedule.

She had ruled out OASD because she had heard that there were many problems such as huelgas, etc. But she is completely uninformed when it comes to higher education - the first in her family to graduate high school. - D

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Unfortunately, my wife has the same opinion of the UTESA students she knows. So I think she may stick with O Y M if she can get a decent schedule.

She had ruled out OASD because she had heard that there were many problems such as huelgas, etc. But she is completely uninformed when it comes to higher education - the first in her family to graduate high school. - D

Btw, it's USAD... has nothing to do with the US of A but stands for Universidad Autonoma (de) Santo Domingo.
Yes, it's a historically politicized University as, just like the French State Universities in 1968 it has rebelled against the government quite vehemently... even in the strong Balaguer years.
It's a difficult university to attend, in Santo Domingo at least, as professors can display quite an attitude which is not very exemplary and the students have to face up too with no recourse. Professors seem at liberty to rate exams as they care too and even asking for explanations may cost the student some further points.
I seem to see the situation in Puerto Plata as much more tranquil, but then I have no insider experience.
UASD students which have graduated successfully seem to have more bite and will... that, the situation there did teach them apparently.

... J-D.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Utesa lawyers make 10 thousand pesos / month when they work for some firm. This is 300 plus dollars / month. This country has a huge surplus of lawyers and dentists. So no demand for them.
AZB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Utesa lawyers make 10 thousand pesos / month when they work for some firm. This is 300 plus dollars / month. This country has a huge surplus of lawyers and dentists. So no demand for them.
AZB

Actually that's more like 285+ USD... at the current rate. Don't worry, since it went over 33/1 I have miscalculated backwards a couple of times too. :D
But is shows a point... it's about the officially quoted average income.
If you're pretty and work at a bar (no bar exam necessary), you can make more.

Seems there are better opportunities studying the teachings of Dr. Palmer ;)

... J-D.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Actually that's more like 285+ USD... at the current rate. Don't worry, since it went over 33/1 I have miscalculated backwards a couple of times too. :D

... J-D.[/QUOTE

Because she grew up in abject poverty and has been treated as a 3rd class person, my wife has tremendous drive and a passion for the law. She'll probably end up in government, not working for a large law firm. No matter where she graduates from, she'll be a formidable opponent. (And she's pretty enough to make lots of money at a bar, too.) - D

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

... J-D.[/QUOTE

Because she grew up in abject poverty and has been treated as a 3rd class person, my wife has tremendous drive and a passion for the law. She'll probably end up in government, not working for a large law firm. No matter where she graduates from, she'll be a formidable opponent. (And she's pretty enough to make lots of money at a bar, too.) - D

First let me be clear that my last comments where not directed at your wife, they were merely joking remarks to the points AZB correctly brought up.
I regard your wife's interest in studying and your support very highly.

Yet, as I seemed to understand from your post and question, the goal is to do it and do it right. I think that AZB's post was an appropriate warning in that direction, while there will be exceptions. I also think the end result will highly depend on your wife's character, energy, adaptabillity and horizon and especially the help she may get from you in order to be able to eventually set up her (you all's) own office and maybe cater to the need of expats or otherwise find a customer base to build upon in order to not disappear in the gears of government administration of the back office of some administrative law firm. In other words, YOU may be her biggest asset paired with the will you are describing her to bear.

... J-D.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
First let me be clear that my last comments where not directed at your wife, they were merely joking remarks to the points AZB correctly brought up.
I regard your wife's interest in studying and your support very highly.

Yet, as I seemed to understand from your post and question, the goal is to do it and do it right. I think that AZB's post was an appropriate warning in that direction, while there will be exceptions. I also think the end result will highly depend on your wife's character, energy, adaptabillity and horizon and especially the help she may get from you in order to be able to eventually set up her (you all's) own office and maybe cater to the need of expats or otherwise find a customer base to build upon in order to not disappear in the gears of government administration of the back office of some administrative law firm. In other words, YOU may be her biggest asset paired with the will you are describing her to bear.

... J-D.

I understood you completely and appreciate your knowledge and experience - it was very helpful. Marisol had pretty much come to have the same take on things.

By the way, she's on her own with her career. I'll be 69 years old by the time she graduates. But I'm very proud of her. - D