Lebanese/Turkish/Greek supermarket ? seen one ? + Roland foods products ...

patrikim

May 5, 2004
hi,
I'm desperately looking to get all kinds of specialty food items, spices and condiments typically sold in Arab/Lebanese/turkish markets...
got any ideas? (anywhere in the D.R.)
Also, does anyone know how to get in touch with the importer/distributer of
Roland foods here in the D.R. ?
for obvious reasons my friendly supermarket won't share that info...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The best place is L'epicier de l'orient, Plaza Paseo de la Churchill, Avenida Churchill esq. Roberto Pastoriza, Santo Domingo. They have a good selection of Lebanese and other Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/Asian foods.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
closed 12 to 2

But your question is antinomic : you ask for good product and you ask for Rolland food.
Epicerie de l orient , as mentioned, is a good place with small choice but quality products. (closed 12 to 14h.)
Of course they do not offer Rolland's stuff.

P.

patrikim

May 5, 2004
thanks guys! any more on rolland?

really appreciate your input !
i'll check out L'epicier de l'orient next time i'm in town, sounds great,
as for rolland, well, their products are a mixed bag, usually just packed or bottled for rolland, but one thing is sure - their customer service SUCKS...
and won't answer my Emails.
so, the question remains - how to contact them HERE !
anyone?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Rolland as in chinese products, black sesame seeds and such? I find those in my regular supermarket, El Nacional, El Pola...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
My fridge is packed with Roland products.

I'd probably have to hide them if I invited Don Pedro over for supper.

That's a moot point, however, because he strikes me as the kind of guy who hogs the con con.

:tired:

patrikim

May 5, 2004
got some in my fridge too, but...

would like to buy wholesale, plus each super stocks a few chosen items-
would like access to a full line of products...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Beggars can't be choosers, and the Roland range is often the only option available for 'exotic' foods in the DR. Apart from their mango chutney which is really dire, I'm grateful for their tahini, couscous, basmati rice and balsamic vinegar.

Tip - L'epicier de l'orient has a reasonable range of Indian chutneys and pickles but Asiatica on Ave. 27 de Febrero esq. Privada sells Patak's for for a fraction of the price.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
would like to buy wholesale, plus each super stocks a few chosen items-
would like access to a full line of products...

Maybe you should go investigate in "China town", I was in a Chinese supermarket in that area and they had even more Roland products. I'm sure they could get you the contacts.

I was also happy to find my Gun Powder Tea that is usually $500/box, in this store $80...nice! :cheeky:

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Maybe you should go investigate in "China town", I was in a Chinese supermarket in that area and they had even more Roland products. I'm sure they could get you the contacts.

I was also happy to find my Gun Powder Tea that is usually $500/box, in this store $80...nice! :cheeky:

Juanita, can recommend a supermarket in China Town? We've been there a couple of time and had a look around, but didn't find any supermarkets per say.

We have been looking for Tamarind Paste (We have been buying Tamarind in the supermarkets and making paste, but it takes hours!). Has anyone seen any of this about?

I've made note of the stores listed in this thread and plan to check them out over the next few days.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
It's the store next (on the same side) to the restaurant Asadero Chino, Benito / Duarte

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Also try Asiatico on 27/Privada, and a couple of Chinese Supermarkets on Ave. R?mulo Betancourt, Mirador Norte/Bella Vista area.