Wireless Internet East Coast (with kudos to DR1 and MikeFisher)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
For the two of you that pay any attention to my posts, the Bok-Pib family has recently relocated to the Independent Republic of PuntaCana. With this I complete my lifelong dream of living as far from my hometown as possible without actually leaving the island. ;)

Anyway... Relocating, even within the same country is difficult. I had no idea where to get anything, or how to get around (not that I'll ever learn, my Chronic Lack of Sense of Direction being the reason). The first thing I needed to figure out when I came here was internet connection. Since we are temporarily living in a rental property, while we await for our new home to be finished (sometime before the sun implodes), we did not want to install Codetel's service. I am not entirely sure I actually want to have a Codetel line anyways.

After a quasi-nightmarish experience with a company with notoriously bad customer service, even by our own standards, I decided to contact MikeFisher, a veteran of these here parts. Mike recommended a company called Bec-Tel (I asked Rob if it was OK to post details, he said yes). They offer wireless internet via an antenna that they install somewhere near you roof. The installation itself is pretty simple and takes no more than an hour. The speed is pretty close, sometimes even higher than they specify.

I have to say that I am impressed with their level of service so far. They show up on time and actually follow up on things. Minus a half-day interruption in service during hurricane Ike's visit I haven't had any problems so far.

And while we are at it, I would also like to thank Mike for recommending a taxi service. Extremely courteous, punctual and friendly people. Their van was new and very comfortable.

If anyone in the area is interested (this info could have served me well) Bec-Tel has a website at Internet Phone Service at BecTel: BecTel Phone Service, Voice Over Ip Phone Service, Broadband Phone Service, Internet Telephony Service Provider. I suggest that if you live in the east coast you contact Charlie at 809 863 6152. Please notice that this is a quasi-permanent setup, not something that you can install just for a few days. As for the taxi service, contact Bronly at 809 299 0582. They game me a special rate because I mentioned Mike, worth a try. :)

And thanks again to Rob and Dolores for this wonderful resource. You guys rock!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey PIB and Bok!! and the Piblet, too!!

Glad to see you are now "installed" and we will be seeing your witticisms(?) shortly on DR1.

Maybe we can get together in November>? Say 9th??? I am trying to make it then..

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Thanks HB. Relocating turned out much more complicated than we originally thought. We are now, more than two months later, finally starting to settle down. Only to pick up and move again sometime in the near future. Luckily next time we move it will just be across the street from where we currently live.

Other than that, I for one, am very glad we did this. We are living in a much healthier way now, and I am a lot less stressed. The lack of pollution, traffic and crime is just priceless. To top it the people around here are really friendly, the school is awesome and my kid absolutely loves it here. I never thought I would go back to small-town living, but here I am.

Hlywud and HB, I am going to send you my pho. no. in a private message so you call me around the time you'll be here. I am sure something can be worked out.