deaf services

hzawadi

Sep 16, 2008
what kind of services and organizations are available to deaf people in the Dominican Republic?

Last edited by a moderator:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I do not know but I would suggest none! I have met so many deaf and dumb people here compared to Uk. None can sign, nor speak at all, so maybe there are services availble to the rich but definitely not the poor. Still they are very inventive although not using an 'official' sign language they seem to do OK. Many I know work in construction.

Matilda

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Just want to say that is considered VERY rude and degrading to use term deaf and dumb. Just because someone is deaf they are probably far from dumb. So please rememeber that when using that term. Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
LOPTKA, Matilda is British and 'dumb' is not used to mean 'stupid' in the UK the way it is in the US, so it is not considered derogatory.

To the OP, you could try contacting
Centro Audiol?gico Dominicano
Calle 2 No. 25, El Mill?n,
Santo Domingo, D.N.
Tels.: 809 537-0707 / 809 534-2025
fax: 534-2831
E-mail: cad225@hotmail.com

Instituto de Ayuda al Sordo Santa Rosa, Inc
c/Luis F. Thom?n 616, El Mill?n, Santo Domingo
Tel. 809 530-3275 Fax 809 534-2831
E-mail: ayuda.alsordo@codetel.net.do

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
School for deaf children......

There is a school for the deaf in downtown Puerta Plata.
I forget the name of it but it is in an urbanization close to La Pulga

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Just want to say that is considered VERY rude and degrading to use term deaf and dumb. Just because someone is deaf they are probably far from dumb. So please rememeber that when using that term. Thanks.

Thanks Chiri. In English (ie english from England) , dumb means unable to speak. In the UK most deaf people are able to speak - here they are not, hence they are dumb - ie speechless. In no way does that mean stupid. That is a term adopted by North Americans. Apologies to North americans. I sometimes forget that english is not the same through out the world.

Matilda

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Thanks Chiri. In English (ie english from England) , dumb means unable to speak. In the UK most deaf people are able to speak - here they are not, hence they are dumb - ie speechless. In no way does that mean stupid. That is a term adopted by North Americans. Apologies to North americans. I sometimes forget that english is not the same through out the world.

Matilda

Was it not George Bernard Shaw (of blessed memory) who said that the British and the Americans (meaning citizens of the USA) are two great peoples divided by a common language.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Was it not George Bernard Shaw (of blessed memory) who said that the British and the Americans (meaning citizens of the USA) are two great peoples divided by a common language.
One of my favourite quotes, Bryan. In the case of 'dumb', offence could be taken in both directions - why should the word for people who are unable to speak be used to mean 'stupid'?

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Deaf and hard of hearing people have the right to choose what they wish to be called, either as a group or on an individual basis. Overwhelmingly, deaf and hard of hearing people prefer to be called "deaf" or "hard of hearing". Nearly all organizations of the deaf use the term "deaf and hard of hearing", and the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) is no exception. The World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) voted in 1991 to use "deaf and hard of hearing" as an official designation.

Yet there are many people who persist in using terms other than "deaf" and "hard of hearing". The alternative terms are often seen in print, heard on radio and television, and picked up in casual conversations all over.
Deaf and Dumb -- A relic from the medieval English era, this is the granddaddy of all negative labels pinned on deaf and hard of hearing people. The Greek philosopher, Aristotle, pronounced Deaf people as "deaf and dumb", because he felt that deaf people were incapable of being taught, of learning, and of reasoned thinking. To his way of thinking, if a person could not use his/her voice in the same way as hearing people, then there was no way that this person could develop cognitive abilities. (Source: Deaf Heritage, by Jack Gannon, 1980)

In later years, "dumb" came to mean "silent". This definition still persists, because that is how people see deaf people. The term is offensive to deaf and hard of hearing people for a number of reasons. One, deaf and hard of hearing people are by no means "silent" at all. They use sign language, lip-reading, vocalizations, and so on to communicate. Communication is not reserved for hearing people alone, and using one's voice is not the only way to communicate. Two, "dumb" also has a second meaning: stupid. Deaf and hard of hearing people have encountered plenty of people who subscribe to the philosophy that if you cannot use your voice well, you don't have much else "upstairs", and have nothing going for you. Obviously, this is incorrect, ill-informed, and false. Deaf and hard of hearing people have repeatedly proved that they have much to contribute to the society at large.

Just because it was acceptable in past doesn't mean it is any longer. I personally would want to know if I was using a term that is now considered highly offensive. I would actually be glad so I didn't continue to offend, not rationalize my using it. Ignorance does not excuse someone from being offensive to others.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
LOPTKA, I accept that it is offensive to American English speakers and is somewhat archaic in the UK too, although it is not considered quite as offensive. I'm now debating what I take to be a point of interest. My question is, did 'dumb' really mean stupid before it meant unable to speak? I'm pretty sure it was the other way round. Aristotle was not using English so it's really a matter of interpretation.

I'm not rationalising using 'dumb' either - I personally would not use it in the US because I know that it means 'stupid' there, so it would cause confusion as much as offence. Really I'm just pointing out that a word that is offensive in one country may be innocuous in other parts of the English-speaking world, and it should be pretty clear that no offence was meant.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I hate PC

LOPTKA, I accept that it is offensive to American English speakers and is somewhat archaic in the UK too, although it is not considered quite as offensive. I'm now debating what I take to be a point of interest. My question is, did 'dumb' really mean stupid before it meant unable to speak? I'm pretty sure it was the other way round. Aristotle was not using English so it's really a matter of interpretation.

I'm not rationalising using 'dumb' either - I personally would not use it in the US because I know that it means 'stupid' there, so it would cause confusion as much as offence. Really I'm just pointing out that a word that is offensive in one country may be innocuous in other parts of the English-speaking world, and it should be pretty clear that no offence was meant.

When used in context with Deaf, dumb means not able to speak in USA, only when used by it's self does it mean stupid.

deaf and Hard of hearing. does not reference the not speaking ability of some

Roget's II: The New Thesaurus DUMB
Main Entry: speechless
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: Temporarily unable or unwilling to speak, as from shock or fear.
Synonyms: inarticulate, mum, mute, silent, voiceless, wordless

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Actually Bien amor. That term is no longer used in USA except by "dumb" people. Just like "colored" is no longer used as is is offensive. I work with Deaf population in a specialized unit in a hospital with both Deaf staff as well as patients. I think I am qualified to comment on a lot of things about Deaf Culture. If you want to continue to use that term after being educated about its current use than thats up to you but it would say a lot about you.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
What is Wrong with the Use of these Terms: "Deaf-mute", "Deaf and dumb", or "Hearing-

I can see that this thread has taken a different road than the one intended, but here is some more clarification.

Deaf and Dumb -- A relic from the medieval English era, this is the granddaddy of all negative labels pinned on deaf and hard of hearing people. The Greek philosopher, Aristotle, pronounced us "deaf and dumb", because he felt that deaf people were incapable of being taught, of learning, and of reasoned thinking. To his way of thinking, if a person could not use his/her voice in the same way as hearing people, then there was no way that this person could develop cognitive abilities. (Source: Deaf Heritage, by Jack Gannon, 1980)

Deaf-mute, Deaf and Dumb, Hearing Impaired - National Association of the Deaf

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My question is, did 'dumb' really mean stupid before it meant unable to speak?

According to
Take Our Word For It Archives A-D

'Both meanings are intermingled in the word's history. In Old English it was dumb (around 1000), and there were cognates in Old Frisian and Old Saxon (dumb `mute'); Middle Dutch (dom, domp); Old High German (tumb, tump `mute, stupid, deaf'); Old Icelandic (dumbr `mute') and Gothic (dumbs `mute, speechless'). One source notes that the sense of `stupid, foolish, senseless' is first recorded in English before 1200. Today the word means `stupid' in German and in Swedish (dumm and dum, respectively) while in other languages, including British English, it means `mute.' The American meaning of `stupid' (it also means `mute' in American English) likely came from German influence in the 19th century (the German word for `mute' is related to English stammer). Interestingly, dumb comes from the Indo-European root *dheubh- `confusion, stupefaction, dizziness,' which was the ultimate source of English deaf, as well.'

Well, you did ask............;) Mind you, the German influence surprised me - I thought the Americans had lifted the word from the Brits & changed the meaning.

I'm not sure, LOPTKA, that there is the same notion of political correctness here in DR as there is in US (in fact I know there isn't). Personally I use the terms 'deaf' for people who cannot hear and 'mute' for those who do not have speech. Neither implies an inability to communicate, however. Far from it.

A separate and completely different category are those who won't hear (big difference! :cheeky:). I have a different word for them probably best not shared. :)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Jeez (is that pc???). All I waned to say was that I knew a lot (and I mean a lot) of people who could not hear (hearing impaired like totally) in the UK. They could all speak or sign. I have been here in DR 8 years and I have met a lot of hearing impaired (like totally impaired) people who cannot speak either. Mute or whatever you want to call it. They cannot sign either. Nor make any sound at all through their mouths - whatever you want to call that. That leaves me to believe (as the original poster asked) that there are not a lot of services for the deaf/hearing impaired/unable to hear/whatever - people in this country. And that is what he/she/it wanted to know.

Matilda - colour white, sex female, nationality British, aged over 50, and still celibrates Christmas rather than happy holidays, married to a brown man who does not mind being called brown, who is a little vertically challenged (5ft 3ins), has small boobs (which I am sure is not PC), vocally challenged as has been shot in throat (is that PC or should I say relieved of voice box by fast moving projectile), don't want to upset the shooter!!!!!

Reactions: AnnaC

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Jus us uneducated here back on track

Jeez (is that pc???). All I waned to say was that I knew a lot (and I mean a lot) of people who could not hear (hearing impaired like totally) in the UK. They could all speak or sign. I have been here in DR 8 years and I have met a lot of hearing impaired (like totally impaired) people who cannot speak either. Mute or whatever you want to call it. They cannot sign either. Nor make any sound at all through their mouths - whatever you want to call that. That leaves me to believe (as the original poster asked) that there are not a lot of services for the deaf/hearing impaired/unable to hear/whatever - people in this country. And that is what he/she/it wanted to know.

Matilda - colour white, sex female, nationality British, aged over 50, and still celibrates Christmas rather than happy holidays, married to a brown man who does not mind being called brown, who is a little vertically challenged (5ft 3ins), has small boobs (which I am sure is not PC), vocally challenged as has been shot in throat (is that PC or should I say relieved of voice box by fast moving projectile), don't want to upset the shooter!!!!!

yep this may help the op couple of schools here on the island Santo Domingo and San Pedroo de Macoris

http://www.greatervoice.com/Rumbo.pdf
A group of eight teachers from Instituto de Ayuda al Sordo from Santo
Domingo and Instituto Alternativo, from San Pedro de Macor?s, Dominican
Republic, just returned to their country after spending 18 days in Ipswich,
MA in an intensive training oriented to better the hearing of deaf children.
The training consisted of studying the new technologies being employed
in our country in these children?s treatment. This group visited Children?s
Hospital, The Department of Public Health, Clarke School for the Deaf, House
of Peace, in Ipswich, MA and Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf
in New Hampshire,

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
late response to your question

You asked what kind of services are available to the deaf population here. Sorry, I am not on the boards often, but perhaps you are still interested. What I'm going to tell you is not really what services are available, but what services are not available. It's a lot easier.

I work with the deaf in Santo Domingo. Here's the situation. There are only a couple of trained interpreters in the entire country (myself being one of them.) There is no interpreter training or association currently, although they are in the process of setting up an association for future certification and training of interpreters. This means, that interpreting services aren't available to the deaf here. If a deaf person needs an interpreter, one of the teachers of the deaf may be called in to interpret, if it is something serious like court. If it is a doctor's appointment, the deaf person will go alone, or take a friend or family member along to interpret. Almost all interpreting is done gratis, even at the interpreter's expense, because the interpreter usually provides her (his) own transportation.

Education-wise, the vast majority of deaf children in this country do not have the opportunity to go to a school or learn a language. Those who do, for the most part, go to schools with teachers who are unable to communicate effectively with them. No interpreters are provided for any mainstreaming and the miniscule portion of deaf students who manage to make it to college, have no interpreter or tutoring or notetaker services.

On the bright side, more and more deaf students who do go to school are starting younger. They used to always come to me in their teens when it was pretty much too late for them to become fluent in Sign Language. Now some are starting earlier, although there are still a lot of parents who take their kids to school for the first time at nine years old or later.

The government does not provide education for the deaf. All the deaf schools, including the "National School for Deaf-Mutes" are private, although the government does give the larger schools some help. There are many small struggling church schools who are trying to fill in the gaps.

I have met hundreds of deaf people here. I have never met a single deaf person who can read, with the exception of post-lingually deafened, hard of hearing, or the extremely rare oral success; actually I haven't met any oral successes who can read either, but I am fairly confident they exist. Teachers of the deaf will dispute this, because they have students who are able to look at some words and put a sign with them, but it takes little to prove that the student cannot, in fact, read. (Likewise with the typical oral student.)

The next frightening revolution in education is "inclusion." I am hoping, but not at all expecting, that the Dept. of Education will understand that "including" the deaf person in a classroom normally means that the person needs to have support services such as trained interpreters, tutors, and notetakers, which aren't available at any price here. If they just open the door, and throw them in, they are doomed to failure. But I digress.

There is a deaf club, and the very upperclass deaf are even involved in the World Federation of the Deaf.

There is some government work with the handicapped that is including the deaf in some of their work. I haven't seen a lot come out of it yet, but think they have done some good PR work, so they are showing some promise. In theory they will help deaf people get jobs, but in point of fact, either deaf people aren't aware of this, or the agency isn't very good at it.

Deaf people here don't get SSI from the govt., but I have heard of one deaf-blind person that gets a small amount on a regular basis.

There is no requirement for captioning TV, although some shows are captioned since they come in English, and movie theatres usually have open captions, of course, except for children's movies.