Long term stay in Caberate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merri

Sep 17, 2008
My husband and I are going to be in Cabarete for Feb & Mar. and can't wait! just wondering about the cost of food/ liquor
last time we stayed on an island ( little Cayman) we almost starved to death 'cause food was so expensive! Where is the best place
to shop? Cheap, but yummy places to eat? Thanks for your help,

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
My husband and I are going to be in Cabarete for Feb & Mar. and can't wait! just wondering about the cost of food/ liquor
last time we stayed on an island ( little Cayman) we almost starved to death 'cause food was so expensive! Where is the best place

Well Merri, good news you won't starve to death in Cabarete!!!!!!
Plenty of very good restaurants on the beach and around the city, you can shop for food at Janet's just east of the village or at Playero in Sosua a 10 minute drive. You will find everything you need and the cost of food is comparable to U.S. and Canada.
If you still find it too expensive you can always fall back!!!!on the rum which is very very good and not expensive at all........

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
long term

i wish you an enjoyable holiday. just to clarify things, a long term stay is considered 6 months or more in this area. no big deal but what you have is a holiday. lots of people come for 1-4 months.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Hi Merri,
Food costs in Cabarete are more expensive than they used to be.

In the center of town, restaurants will run you about 250-300 pesos for a burger & fries, or basic pasta dinner. That's about US$7-9. Depending on where you go, a steak (churrasco) & potato will cost you 450-500 pesos and up. Sodas anywhere from 40-60 pesos depending on the restaurant. Mixed drinks like a rum & coke... 80-90 pesos. Pizza (sufficient for 2) at Jose O'Shays 220-350 pesos. Nice shrimp dinner at La Casita de Papi's on the beach, about 750 pesos not including drink. It's sold for 1 person, but really sufficient for two.

I bought a whole roasted chicken, rice & beans for 400 pesos at Friends restaurant last week. Could've fed 3 gringos well on that. A dominican family would've likely fed 6-8 on the same meal.

Now, those are regular prices. You'll find some happy hour prices on both food and drinks. Also, there are little Dominican restaurants scattered around where you can get chicken, rice, beans, salad at lunch time for around 100 pesos.

Try this thread for more details. A fairly extensive list/review of restaurants if you read thru what the posters wrote. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/72071-nowhere-eat-good-food-cabarete.html

Grocery stores... Janet's the biggest followed by Supermercado Cabarete & La Rosa. Prices higher than in the U.S. on most items. Larger grocery store Playero in Sosua about 15 minutes by car... and a whole different selection of restaurants, most with lower prices than Cabarete I believe.

Feb & March are pretty good months to be in Cabarete. Temperatures are more moderate. And, do look forward to your trip - you'll enjoy it!

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Food and drink costs are much more in Cabarete than down the road in Sosua if you want to cut your costs some. It would still be only a 10 minute drive up the road to Cabarete if that was your preferred area. It felt like robbery when I was charged 120 pesos for a Cuba Libre!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Some times you get what you pay for and some times you don't.

I can drink $RD 50 pesos Presidente in Sosua on a street with all of the working girls and noisy moto conchos or I can pay 2-3 times that amount in Cabarette with only being harrassed by the numerous jewellery vendors with an ocean view.

Weekends are made for Cabarete and Sosua for the rest of the week.

Last edited:

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
I can drink the 50 peso Presidente's and Cuba Libres right on Playa Sosua. No working girls, no Moto concho's and a much nicer beach. I agree that Cabarete beach has the best nightlife though.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Food and drink costs are much more in Cabarete than down the road in Sosua if you want to cut your costs some. It would still be only a 10 minute drive up the road to Cabarete if that was your preferred area. It felt like robbery when I was charged 120 pesos for a Cuba Libre!

U just have no clue, did yo go to Jose o?sheas??

Like me saying "I went to Sosua and had a meal for 1900 pesos, much cheaper in Cabarete..." Some place called La Puntilla...

Cabarete is cheaper for food and drinks if you know where to go and when and to me MUCH nicer environment. Then if you prefer the sight of fat men with young women Sosua would be your choice.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I can drink the 50 peso Presidente's and Cuba Libres right on Playa Sosua. No working girls, no Moto concho's and a much nicer beach. I agree that Cabarete beach has the best nightlife though.

"No working girls" on the beach in Sosua.... you are funny.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

You have a lot of cheap choices on the beach in Cabarete.

Onnos and Lax have great happy hours. So has Casanova which is a little "fancier"...

Lax happy hour between 6 and 7.

Pizza and pasta or big salad between 220 and 270 depending on what pizza you choose. Mojitos two for 160 and they are delicious.

Onnos half price on a lot of different dishes between 5 and 7. 120 -170 for big tapas.

Half price on drinks between 6 and 8. I think a cuba libre is 45. I drink mojitos or frozen vodka lemonade and they are 70-80.

Then at 9 pitcher hour.... a pitcher of mojitos 270 (6-8 drinks)....

You will find out where to go when you come down here. Do not worry be...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.