Shopping

PBJ27

Sep 17, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a Walmart or similiar in the DR. I heard they were building one....I was in Thailand couple of years ago and they had a store similiar to Walmart, but can't remember the name..thought maybe they had a store there?

I'm going to Sosua for 4 months this winter and would like any advice of what kinds of foods are either unavailable or very expensive that I could bring. With the new airline baggage rules, it may not be worth it. I'm renting a condo so will be cooking alot. I have already purchased a DR Cookbook...have been to the DR about 6 times. What about liquor (Vodka)?

Any thoughts, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I love the DR and the people....

Regards

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
No Walmart stores in the country.
Everything we heard so far about them coming soon or later has turned out to only be unsubstantiated rumors.
They are some Walmart stores operating in other Latin American countries.
In Europe, their concept has failed to find acceptance with both, the customers and the work force.

We got PriceMart, which looks like BJ's or Costco in the States in Santo Domingo and Santiago and French Carrefour in Santo Domingo. As well as a watered down version of French Jumbo in La Romana, Santo Domingo and Santiago. There also is as a local chain by the name of National in Santo Domingo and Santiago which closely resemble larger supermarket chains like WinDixie and Publix in the States .
Then there are a couple of local would be "department" stores like Plaza Lama, Santa Pola and Sirena operating in major cities in various forms and shapes and conditions. None of all the above in Sosua nor closeby except for a Sirena being currently erected in Puerto Plata and again rumors of Jumbo and maybe even National lurking.

Sosua has various family owned small to mid sized supermarkets, the most visible being Playero on the main thru road.

... J-D.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Great info J-D.

As for bringing food, here are some things I usually bring, either because the quality is just not the same, or the price is more than double here (sometimes 3x or more)

hotdogs
steak
sausage (italian, kielbaza, etc.)
tuna
bacon
ground beef
cookies
bagels
peanut butter
liquid coffeemate
chocolate
american cakes/donuts, like entenman's, hostess, little debbie, etc.

Also, definitely stock up on "health and beauty" type stuff and OTC medicines (tylenol, cold medicines, razor blades, shampoo, contact solution, etc.) - they are sometimes up to 3x or 4x the price and often are not the same as you get in the states, or outdated. However, many prescription meds can be purchased much cheaper here.

Most liquor seems to be about the same price or less than in the states, except for some reason, good champagne (Vueve Cliquot or Perrier Jouet is around 2500 pesos, or $70). For example, at my local colmado, 750 ml of Stoli is currently 399 pesos (about 11 dollars) and Baileys is 550 pesos (about $16), good Argentinian, Chilean, and some Californian wine is between 250 and 400 pesos a bottle, and of course, the rum is excellent and very cheap... Also, you may want to pick up a few bottles of your favorite liquor or wine at the duty free before you leave your country, since that bypasses the luggage/carry-on requirement, and is usually at a pretty good price.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
we have lots of good fresh food-- no worries

Does anyone know if there is a Walmart or similiar in the DR. I heard they were building one....I was in Thailand couple of years ago and they had a store similiar to Walmart, but can't remember the name..thought maybe they had a store there?

I'm going to Sosua for 4 months this winter and would like any advice of what kinds of foods are either unavailable or very expensive that I could bring. With the new airline baggage rules, it may not be worth it. I'm renting a condo so will be cooking alot. I have already purchased a DR Cookbook...have been to the DR about 6 times. What about liquor (Vodka)?

Regards

I don?t know what is available in Sosua but just about everything- including tarragon- is available in the Capital- so don?t worry. you can make a trip down and fill up.. also just develop a taste for rum... Bring books instead..

adapt... no worries

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I would add that I bring

Cheese
Sun dried tomatoes
Cooked bacon
Packets of soy sauce and mayo
Salad dressing (limited supply and expensive in Sosua)
Almonds

and napkins cause I don't like the napkins in the DR

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003

Regards

Oh Please!!!

When in Rome do as the Romans!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Bacon? to Sosua?

I would add that I bring

Cheese
Sun dried tomatoes
Cooked bacon
Packets of soy sauce and mayo
Salad dressing (limited supply and expensive in Sosua)
Almonds

and napkins cause I don't like the napkins in the DR

And here in the Capital I consider the bacon in Sosua a real treat! Honestly, folks, I think that we would so much appreciate it if you filled you suitcases with supplies of Spanish English dictionaries which are REALLY expensive and hard to find here-- and little books for the children... contact the DREAM foundation... and ATE the LOCAL CASHEWS AND MACADEMIAS which we grow here.. and well,,,, how about CLOTH napkins which don?t cost the life of a tree.. FORGIVE ME.. I am really glad that you come here.. but we do in fact GROW and EXPORT organic tomatoes to the STATES from here so it seems that Sosua really needs a GOOD GROCERY STORE!!

PBJ27

Sep 17, 2008
Thanks everyone....do you have any problems bring meat into the country...I assume that you take it frozen?

Regards

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
My list would be...

I couldn't disagree more about the beef here. I find the steaks and ground beef to be far superior, and much less expensive, than what we have available in the states.
Obviously, everyone has their own preferences, but one of the few things I can't find here is WHITE tuna. It's all dark, which I don't love :) Also, I can't find powdered sugar.
I've also been surprised to find that almost ALL the snack type foods here are loaded with artificial colors & flavors. For sure on my next trip back I am going to have to pick up our favorites in natural varieties. It's too bloody hot to bake anything from scratch!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
At the Playero in Sosua they have Silk Soymilk. It's over 105RD pesos. They also have Bumble Bee Solid White Tuna that is
around 139RD. Bringing tuna, walnuts or any nuts for that matter would be good.

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
ah, yes, I should have said a *locally made* white tuna. The Bumble Bee is way too expensive to buy on any kind of regular basis!!