Bicycling on North Coast

genie38

Sep 3, 2008
I'm wondering how the roads are for bicycling between PP and Cabarete? Average about 18 MPH on Florida smooth, flats with some space in the lanes for cars to pass. Comments or thoughts? Thanks, J.C.

Mar 2, 2008
The only biking I would do in the DR is off-road. I don't even enjoy driving a car on the North Coast. There is a different mentality regarding driving there. Everything looks like a near-miss to me, but at least in a car you have a sporting chance.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
I'm wondering how the roads are for bicycling between PP and Cabarete? Average about 18 MPH on Florida smooth, flats with some space in the lanes for cars to pass. Comments or thoughts? Thanks, J.C.
I agree with the other respondent's comments on the dangers. But there is a firm in Cabarete (I think it's called Mama Iguana) which organises bike rides for various strengths/abilities. I did an easy one a couple of years ago (downhill all the way, off and on road) and it was fun. They provide the bikes

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I seem to observe a recent increase of bicycling groups hitting the roads, in fancy colorful "aero-slippery" dresses, even wearing aero dymamic helmets and on quality bikes.
As, others posted above, I think, that while the DR certainly would offer the scenery attracting this kind of sport activity, it would seem extremely dangerous to mix in with the crazy motorized street environment.
Here, the stronger rule and seem to demand preference in speed, space and sequence over the weaker, putting bikers and pedestrians last on the "food chain". Making cycling look like an extreme sport and mountain and/or off road biking like kid's stuff when compared to it.

Why not try bungee jumping or something like that instead, it's said to be safe and fun too ;)

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't know people who bicycle between PP & Cabarete. I do know people who bicycle on town roads within PP. Hank is a Dutch Canadian who has been living here years - a well known figure around town on his bicycle; cycles in a very slow, upright, stately fashion but then he is nearly 80. If you know the Joyce Grenfell song Stately Two Galleons We Sailed Across The Floor...............:cheeky: that's how he cycles. There is also a much younger German couple who cycle around PP (not on a tandem!) to do their shopping and who have been here a few years. So people do do it.

The potholes are the visible hazards - the real hazards to look out for are the concho, car & truck drivers & sometimes these can cut you up from behind in a way which isn't too visible (in advance). So I would echo the words about danger written in posts above.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Cycling

Iguana Mama in Cabarete has very good tours. (I have no interest in the company). Cycling should be done off-road; there are tons of options and great countrysides and views and people to meet. Cycling on public roads is an accident waiting to happen. The DR is a mountainbike, off-road paradise. It is THE best way to get out, be safe and see the country, IMO.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I think the sport of cutting skin off your neck might be safer. Make sure you don't run into the naked Haitian lady walking on the highway sidewalk by Playa Dorada.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This is not the Tour de france ...more like take your chance!

We all take risks and I do so with my Turbo Charged "Cowawaki Sickle",

I just bought health insurance, just in case my parachutte opens on the way to some of my favorite restaraunts.

As light as I am, I could get slammed into a high rise, like the Brugal Towers

Every morning is a new begining!

Last edited:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
If you're a confident cyclist and have done rides in chaotic traffic it's certainly possible. I know people who've done multi-day trips through the DR from town to town through the DR, but then they had done similar things in places like Egypt. Off-road mountainbiking is much more accessible and enjoyable. Iguana Mama in Cabarete rents out bikes and organizes guided tours. An Austrian guy does the same from Ocoa in the South, and he has been involved in organizing a Dominican Transalp MTB race with pros participating. There's excellent mountainbiking trails out there. The road infrastructure is not designed for cycling; some serious race riders train on the Santiago-SD autopista.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
This is why I'm selling my two mountain bikes right now. Too dangerous for me and mine to take chances like that. I've already had one friend meet tragedy while biking on an organized biking tour in Costa Rica. So sad; got hit by a Mack truck and died instantly. I think you should stick to the suggested off-road trips. Just my opinion. :ermm: