Visiting the DR in October

Missskitttin

Sep 18, 2008
I will be visiting the DR in October,me after 11 years, and my husband for the first time. We plan to stay at the Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando. Anyone heard about this place? Which nightclubs would you recommend (no tourist traps....) or restaurants, or cool bars?
Finally, we will be going to Las Terrenas, to the Alisei and to Puerto Plata, probably to the Allegro. Any thoughts or comments on these places?
Thanks!
Claudette

ps is there a place for an avatar on this blog?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i have no firsthand knowledge but he search box is a good place to explore. simply type in the hotel names and do a search and you will get plenty of info. and i'm sure others will post that have more info...good luck and enjoy your vacation

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando is in an elegantly restored Colonial palace - it's one of the nicest hotels in the city.

There are several clubs on Calle Hostos, well within walking distance of your hotel on Calle Las Damas. For the trendy clubs in the modern city centre you'll need to take a taxi to the Naco area.

Very near the hotel, Plaza Espa?a is a bit of a tourist trap but the setting is pleasant at night and the restaurants and bars there are mostly good - my favourite is the Spanish Museo del Jamon and lots of people also enjoy the international Pat'e Palo.

I think there is at least one club on the Atarazana, the street that runs down a small hill on the other side of the square. My top restaurant recommendation is El Mes?n de Bari (authentic Dominican cuisine, bohemian atmosphere) on Calle Hostos but there are several other good eating options in the Colonial Zone and beyond.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
The Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando is a magnificent hotel. I stayed there for a month last year when I visited the DR prior to relocating here for my employment. The staff are lovely and the rooms are beautifully appointed.

As Chiri has said, there are plenty of great restaurants and night spots around the area.

Enjoy!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cool bars in the Colonial Zone - Casa de Teatro on C/ Arzobispo Meri?o casi esq Arzobispo Portes, Parada 77 on C/ Isabel La Cat?lica behind Plaza Espa?a, and S-Bar on C/ Padre Billini esq. S?nchez.

In the modern centre we have DR1ers' favourite Mi Taverna on Ave. Lincoln between Aves. Lope de Vega and 27 de Febrero.